What did you do to your van today?

Started cleaning roof
Plastic solar panel feet sticking them down with sikoflex 522 is it best to screew as well .
And seal the screews tops to.
Some say do both Some just stick.
For your van, I would think of screwing down with self-tappers as well as sticking, but very short screws just long enough to grab (there could well be wiring only just below). Do you know if your roof is a metal skin or plastic?

Put some damp bags in to suck up any moisture, and some towels under the windscreen to stop condensation water from running behind the dash.

Put up with an opening door on our bathroom for just to long so after saying I must change that to a slider at last I have done it. Ours is a 2008 relay we bought second hand and was sort of built by a company called Mid Cheshire Conversions, absolute rubbish so it was a lot of remove and refit or repair and this door was the bane of our lives , when open it rested against the fire so in the winter months it got well singed if you were not quick enough to get it away. So a sheet of 12m ply and a simple sliding runner and the job is a good one , why oh why have I not done it before. Not the easiest thing to photograph but you can get the idea.

IMG_5541.JPG

Nothing major but it annoyed me, trim was out by 10mm and they slate British manufacturers for finishing.🤔20221108_092646.jpg20221108_094317.jpg

Put up with an opening door on our bathroom for just to long so after saying I must change that to a slider at last I have done it. Ours is a 2008 relay we bought second hand and was sort of built by a company called Mid Cheshire Conversions, absolute rubbish so it was a lot of remove and refit or repair and this door was the bane of our lives , when open it rested against the fire so in the winter months it got well singed if you were not quick enough to get it away. So a sheet of 12m ply and a simple sliding runner and the job is a good one , why oh why have I not done it before. Not the easiest thing to photograph but you can get the idea.

View attachment 64961
Nice onevDave

Had a bulb warning on the dash for ages and MOT time coming up so time to sort out! Lights were all working (which is the confusing thing) but drivers tail light was a bit dull.
New bulb and used a heat gun to adjust the little tabs that lock the bulb into the fitting and brighter light + no warning :)
Just need to check the wipers and fluids and time to book MOT

Last edited:
I would think your Motorhome roof construction is very similar to mine. This photo shows what I think you might expect (and why I suggest very short screws with a coarse pitch (when I said "wide" I didn't have the right word - it was 'coarse')). This is a disc from mine when I drilled a hole for a mobile antenna.
AT-RoofMaterial.png
Quite strong but very thin. And below the GRP skin is a couple of inches of polystryrene. Depending on the maker there could be cables sitting on top of the polystryrene in a channel so you want to avoid long screws to avoid potential of hitting that.

PS. Before you secure the Solar Panels down, take a photo of the info label on the underneath to print off and keep for reference. How many times do people ask "just bought a motorhome. What size panels are these. What voltage are these. etc.".

I would think your Motorhome roof construction is very similar to mine. This photo shows what I think you might expect (and why I suggest very short screws with a coarse pitch (when I said "wide" I didn't have the right word - it was 'coarse')). This is a disc from mine when I drilled a hole for a mobile antenna.
View attachment 64970
Quite strong but very thin. And below the GRP skin is a couple of inches of polystryrene. Depending on the maker there could be cables sitting on top of the polystryrene in a channel so you want to avoid long screws to avoid potential of hitting that.

PS. Before you secure the Solar Panels down, take a photo of the info label on the underneath to print off and keep for reference. How many times do people ask "just bought a motorhome. What size panels are these. What voltage are these. etc.".
Our roof
View attachment 64970

Our roof is 45mm and walls 40mm.
From info I have found.

What make of beast is that..🤣
He's a wild one. that's why we had to tie him down.
Courier said "need a hand with the battery as can't wheel it in on the pallet truck (gravel driveway) and it's 80Kg" .
told him no bother, I'll just pick it up and carry it in (I knew the real weight ;) )

Last edited:
Back