What did you do to your van today?

I don't know about other folk, but I have in my previous camper driven off with the EHU lead attached :rolleyes: . I am going to put some of the blame for how I fitted the EHU plug in such a stealthy way I don't see it, but really the fault does lay with the operator of the vehicle I hate to admit :mad:.
Fortunately, the case of that camper, no damage ever occured and it was just a matter to refitting cable to EHU socket each time. But the current Motorhome would be a different matter I think with its more standard and typical side-wall mounted inlet :oops:

Fast forward a few years and Fisherman Bill and I were making some updates to his new Rapido end of last year and I noticed he had an alarm that would sound if the engine was turned on when the EHU was plugged in. According to the manuals, it was a warning not to have the mains charger and B2B charger active at the same time.
I thought that was a bit annoying intially TBH, but it made me think that maybe it was also a reminder not to drive away with the mains lead still plugged in!!
So eventually I decided it could be handy in my own motorhome should I get another lapse of concentration, given my previous record? A buzzer of some type, similar to the buzzer if you start the engine with the step out?
So decided to make my own version ...

Buzz Buzz by David, on Flickr
Relay powered by ignition signal (so only uses power when ignition on) and Relay control signal activated when 240V is detected on the EHU inlet. So ignition off, no buzzer; ignition on, buzzer if EHU plugged in, no buzzer if not.

Now it does work based on power detected on the lead, not just the physical presence of being plugged in, so if the supply is tripped, say, then it will not know to buzz, but that limitation I can live with. Fitted under the lounge seat (where the connections are ) and buzzer still plenty loud enough to be heard (can hear it OUTSIDE the van!)

Geeez,
I don't know about other folk, but I have in my previous camper driven off with the EHU lead attached :rolleyes: . I am going to put some of the blame for how I fitted the EHU plug in such a stealthy way I don't see it, but really the fault does lay with the operator of the vehicle I hate to admit :mad:.
Fortunately, the case of that camper, no damage ever occured and it was just a matter to refitting cable to EHU socket each time. But the current Motorhome would be a different matter I think with its more standard and typical side-wall mounted inlet :oops:

Fast forward a few years and Fisherman Bill and I were making some updates to his new Rapido end of last year and I noticed he had an alarm that would sound if the engine was turned on when the EHU was plugged in. According to the manuals, it was a warning not to have the mains charger and B2B charger active at the same time.
I thought that was a bit annoying intially TBH, but it made me think that maybe it was also a reminder not to drive away with the mains lead still plugged in!!
So eventually I decided it could be handy in my own motorhome should I get another lapse of concentration, given my previous record? A buzzer of some type, similar to the buzzer if you start the engine with the step out?
So decided to make my own version ...

Buzz Buzz by David, on Flickr
Relay powered by ignition signal (so only uses power when ignition on) and Relay control signal activated when 240V is detected on the EHU inlet. So ignition off, no buzzer; ignition on, buzzer if EHU plugged in, no buzzer if not.

Now it does work based on power detected on the lead, not just the physical presence of being plugged in, so if the supply is tripped, say, then it will not know to buzz, but that limitation I can live with. Fitted under the lounge seat (where the connections are ) and buzzer still plenty loud enough to be heard (can hear it OUTSIDE the van!)
Geeez you had me worried the kitten image attached to your MH EHU, you drive off, kitten screams out.................oops, I forgot to remove EHU :eek:

Joking apart, great idea (y)

Geeez,

Geeez you had me worried the kitten image attached to your MH EHU, you drive off, kitten screams out.................oops, I forgot to remove EHU :eek:

Joking apart, great idea (y)
she's the QA inspector :)

Actually, the cat was one reason for this .... drove off one time and thought a couple of hours later 'did I unplug?' (no!). Pulled over and phoned home to ask for the EHU lead - now with bare LIVE wires laying on the driveway ready for a inquistive cat to sniff or lick :oops: - to be unplugged!

she's the QA inspector :)

Actually, the cat was one reason for this .... drove off one time and thought a couple of hours later 'did I unplug?' (no!). Pulled over and phoned home to ask for the EHU lead - now with bare LIVE wires laying on the driveway ready for a inquistive cat to sniff or lick :oops: - to be unplugged!
While on the subject of Cats. Mother in law took in a pregnant stray. Mum now neutered, hence the collar and recuperating.

Pics of mum and her kitten, check out their blue eyes 👀 so blue, like looking into the ocean!!
IMG_6699.jpegIMG_6698.jpegIMG_6697.jpeg

cute :) Siamese mix I am guessing there? gonna be loud!
I know nothing about cat breed or types, the wee one is a real fun bundle, with loads of energy. At the moment both are within a bedroom, mum stitches to be removed after we leave to head north. I would love to introduce our JR terrier to the kitten, but I don't trust him, I have seen him polish of rats larger than the kitten.

Got the spare wheel carrier and wheel on that now that frees up the space to fit a made to measure 90 litre water tank to underside. Electrical work and solar getting done next week. Already cut some ply panels and have most stuff on order to get it ready to use.

IMG_0618.jpegIMG_0612.jpegIMG_0614.jpeg

As said, it's looking good, you must be very pleased, I can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Thank
That's one bonny looking van Wully
Cheers Jeff. I’m trying to come up with a design for some nice graphics. Most of the stuff up to now has been buying stuff and attaching it to van next step will require more skill and thought when it come to the internal fit out.

sort of made a change to the van today. kinda.

saw a message from Sky with offers on their Mobile plans and all are a lot better then the plans I have currently - including the SIM in the Motorhome Router. Called up sky and after being told can't have the plans on my current SIMs, was transfered to cancellations and was told no problem, course you can.
So switched one phone from an 2GB plan for £8 to a 5GB plan for £5, a second phone from a 4GB plan for £5 to another 5GB plan for £5, and the motorhome router which was on a £8 for 2GB or 4GB plan (can't recall which) was switched to a 150GB for £15 plan. End result being moving from 3 plans providing upto 10GB of data for £24 to spending an extra £1 to get an extra 150GB of data, which is pretty handy.

last year I used Smarty for a while in the Motorhome to get extra data but with the new price SKY deals, will just stick with that - and I don't think it will be beaten with the SKY Piggybank feature, with all unused data getting transferred to the bank and any spare data can be allocated to any SIM. Can't see me running out of data really with over 150GB getting provided every month and actually using far less - which is why the deals with loads of data but wasted if you don't use it were generally a bit wasteful (even after dropping the bigger data packages on SKY around 2 years ago I still have 60GB in the bank).

The SKY Piggybank has no upper limit of stored data apparently and I was told by the Sky lady I spoke to a handy little method to avoid the data expiring after the 12 month limit.

Oh, also got a couple MORE backup SIMS while I was at it .... 100MB of data, plus unlimited calls and texts for £2.50, which is pretty nice as can send any amoiunt of data of I want to the SIMs from the Piggybank - so even though paying an extra £2.50 for an extra £5GB of data would be super value usually, just didn't need it. One SIM for the iPhone and one for the Samsung Tablet.

Finally got around to wiring the inverter into the MH 240v system. Was originally going to use a selector switch to select either mains or inverter power but used a relay with a 240v coil that gets energised from the EHU supply instead that so now the change over is automatic.
Housed in a single pattress and blank plate.

PXL_20240609_150724430.jpg

Back