What did you do to your van today?

Just put clean fresh bedding into van the mrs wants to sleep in it the night as I had the heating on .

As mentioned elsewhere I looked at the brackets on my solar panel and could see there were no fixing bolts or screws, just some kind of sealant/adhesive, probably sikaflex but no idea which grade. Solar Panel was fitted by previous owner not IH but no record by who or when in the service records I received with the van.
So, as soon as I get a dry, free day I will put three or four of these in each side...
Should be relatively straight forward ...(famous last words).
K ;)

Mine’s been stood for a couple of months, so as well as filling water for Moffat checked heating on gas and electric, fitted winter vent covers and ran the engine. It will be great to be out in it again.

Had to call out the breakdown people on Monday as van wouldn't start.
Long and the short of it - i needed a new starter motor.
Fortunately the main company for Talbots had one in stock & got it shipped to the island here right away.
Was delivered to the garage today at 13.02 and i got a call to say it was ready at 14.20.
That really is super efficient service !!

Cleaned it out after our trip to Gower. Then I put the carpets in, now that its winter.

I dried out the silver screens and they need putting back in the garage in the MH now, ready for our next trip.

Its having its first MOT on Monday so fingers crossed. I am having to get it done 3 months early which is annoying, as we will be away in Spain when its due on 01/03/20.

Graham
smile.gif

Oil and all filters changed this morning and turned van around to be on steep slope so solar panel gets some direct light ( was part shaded by tv aerial when parked other way)
K ;)

Bought some little airtight containers from Tiger Tiger and thought I would customise them a touch to use in the VW Overlander ...
1575036303797.png

A week of work on my self build Ducato. Fitted a new wiper motor and assembly, (brought from ebay DE), it stopped working on the way back from Italy, driving was a little difficult. New handle on my cooker, after I broke it while carrying it, had to make a new one for that, what pain. Repositioned my movement senser light over the side door, I had fitted it to far back and when the sliding door was open, the side of the van was in the shadow. Moved my rear view camera which is fitted to the roof bar, want it to show more of the back of the van, does a good job of showing the road behind, just wanted a better view close too, (I have a reversing camera for when parking). Went to reseal my roof vent after a leak, but silly old bugger I had left it open, but least it saved me a job. Bought a new smart charger and gave my batteries a refresh, that took four days, but now reading over 13 so all good there. Time to give the inside a good clean now, my Jack Russel puppy loves to tear paper to shreds, the little darling.

Unplugged hook up, turned off the oil heater, opened all of the roof vents, although our van does have two permanent open roof vents.
Pulled the water pump out of the tank to check no water inside it and refitted
Oiled a security door lock as iced up a little
Daughter told me there have been several normal van break in's in the area, so I decided to use out wire straps across the front doors
Will hook up and put heater on again later today
Your comment on the door reminded me ... I find the doors - cab and slider (and the car doors) - freeze up due to the rubber seals sticking to the door. Thinking of trying something like talc to help stop that. Anyone tried that or something similar?

Altered the shelf over the sink. Twice as deep now, & making some locker doors to fit the front so instead of a fairly narrow shelf we will have 3 reasonably large overhead lockers. Got very little storage in my self build so very welcome addition...
Also swapped out the brass bolts on the cupboard doors for some wrought iron looking monkey tail casement fasteners. Easier to use & far better suited to my interior style.20191130_162210.jpg20191130_165540.jpg

Despite having my "don't forget" tags, I still forget to unplug from EHU when I drive off from home :eek:
Luckily the way I have my hookup plug positioned, it doesn't cause any damage but just rips the wires out the plug (and so leaves a live cable on the driveway of course! :oops: ).
So today I sorted out an upgraded reminder to myself ....

1575216224857.png
Piece of Arctic cable around the steering wheel with a big "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" Tag attached to it.

If THAT doesn't remind me, nothing will!

Last edited:
First time we went away in ours, so pleased at just driving the Hymer, there’s this woman 👩 running along side of us waving, so I thought they’re friendly up here, then I realised she was was telling me that I had driven away with the ehu still plugged in, ooooermisssus

I took mine for its MOT today however despite the V5 saying it was first registered on 01/03/17 the MOT apparently isn't due until the 14th May 2020! The reason I took it in today is that we are away in Spain on 01/03/20 so I thought I would get it done early...but not that early!

I always thought that the 'Date of First Registration' was the birthday and hence anniversary date and hence on its 3rd birthday, it should be MOT'd.

It all checks out on https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status so I am not worried but has anyone else come across this?

Graham :)

Back