What did you do to your van today?

Friday actually.
Had air assist put on my Alko axle by AS Suspension in Warrington.
A really good service.
Unfortunately both wheel bearings were seized solid onto the axle - quite common on English built chassis - the guy tasked with greasing the shaft before putting the bearings on obviously couldn't be bothered.
Apparently the German builds all come apart easily!
Phil had warned me that this was a possibility and was really disappointed that he couldn't shift even with his recently purchased mega slide hammer.
Anyway only extra was for bearings themselves - not cheap though!
Thoroughly recommend - very professional and friendly.

Yesterday as it was such a nice day I decided to clean the roof. Unusually for me I remembered to raise the satellite dish and open the roof lights so I could clean underneath the dish and the surrounds of the roof lights. I also remembered to close the roof lights before hosing clean after I had given the roof a good sponging (or rather micro-fiibreing!j

Last Friday’s mot never happened :( Thursday evening whilst removing the wheels to check and clean the brakes I thought it would be a good idea to bleed them to remove any collected water. So much easier with a good vacuum, so best start the engine. No key, and so the hunt begins! Not in the tumble dryer or washing machine. Not at home. But I had it a few days earlier to bleed the power steering. Friday an early start at work to rip the place apart. Still no key and mot cancelled at 9.00hrs. Enquiring with our local Mercedes parts department for a new lock barrel and key Anita was informed that a replacement key should be possible from our vin number. Saturday morning a new key was delivered and it worked. Thank you North side Mercedes. 29 years old and they still had the key records. Monday a new key will be ordered along with booking the mot again.
The little people at work. After an unrepeatable embarrassment somewhere in the Italian mountains, I now have a small piece of black pipe with gas warnings on it behind the fridge vents which keeps a spare set. All we have to do is remember it’s there....

after losing all of the water overnight last spring I realised I had a problem, first thought was a burst water heater jacket so I isolated that, no change which only left mouse damage to water pipes that run behind the water heater. After putting it off all sunmmer I finally bit the bullet and bypassed that section of pipes, success, and whilst I was at it I removed the carver cascade heater that was always a problem to ignite and replaced it with a non electric ignition carver, well not quite yet but all tested and ready to put in, new baseplate made, just pop it in the hole, three screws to hold it in and connect the gas, no further alterations needed. should be good to go, original blown air still in place so not lost any function. Just made life easier with no electrical problems to worry about.

Fridge vent hideaway is a good idea - saves waiting for recovery people to get you into van for spares.
Let's hope not too many van thieves read these things up😀

Yes it's going to be white again, the red oxide is just the first coat, it's going to have a coat of undercoat then a coat of white then finally covered in soundproof material. Nothing more will be done for a while as im currently overseas for a few months.

Wanted to listen to some Audible books while I was on my recent roadtrip but my Alpine Head Unit and Android Phone don't reliably play together :(

So fitted a new unit today with all the latest options instead so don't even have to bother connecting the phone to it :p

My LT had a single (1-Din) slot so this unit drops in there

Head Unit
by David, on Flickr

But gives me a nice full screen (y)

Open
by David, on Flickr
Connected to the Vans MiFi Router, installed the Amazon Audible App and can now directly download any of the books I have in the library and play off-line without the phone connected :geek: (as well as lots of other stuff of course now)

Murky’s mot is due soon, so did the annual bottom inspection last week and found a naughty power steering pipe leaking. Today Anita machined me a bend mandrel, as Mercedes only supply them unbent. So this afternoon I removed said leaking pipe to use as a pattern to make a new one. It doesn’t quite take the original route but it did fit. The old pipe split on the side of a bend, I was expecting corrosion to be the culprit. Just have the brake inspection to do now.

View attachment 49188View attachment 49189
Never seen one of those before,any chance of buying one.:p

Back