What's your job ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1063
  • Start date
Currently (4 years til retirement) working at University as a Technician, within the Technical Resources office of the Health and Wellbeing department, providing / maintaining / purchasing equipment for student teaching / learning.
Prior to this I spent 23yrs in the armed forces, a few years working as a sports instructor / therapist and 8 years as a qualified electrician working in a building firm. My previous experience of sports knowledge and electrical know how got me my current job where we maintain working manikins that can be programmed to emulate clinical conditions in order that the students studying health related and nursing / midwifery can safely practice their skills.
I knew them skills I got in HM Forces were transferrable - I think mine got lost in transfer! On a point of modern PC order - can we still call them manikins? If they were female are they called ladyikins? I can feel a can of worms coming my way.........:eek:

Currently Merchant Navy before that a driving instructor, Merchant Navy,Royal Navy. Now the government seems fit to add one more before I retire!????

20 years retired , but I work for my wife now [unpaid ]washing up. hoovering. helping to put clean duvet covers on gardening when home.collecting and cutting and storing wood for the wood burner so we are nice and snug in winter if home, decorating , car maintenance and putting fuel in it, cooking, hee hee, and then there are all the Blue jobs connected with the Motorhome , ie toilet emptying water getting ,making sure gas bottles are full, fueling, washing the van , also some of the Pink jobs in the van seem to be my responsibility too, wouldn't change a thing lovin it as they say. Hee Hee.
Never mind work, you've nicked my dog!

Self employed marine engine sales and service,at 61 i will have 5 years to retirement.
Cannot understand how folk stop at 50 as pension not paid to age 66 ,up to then you are forced to sine on at dole office every fortnight or they would be at your door with a linch mob.

Self employed marine engine sales and service,at 61 i will have 5 years to retirement.
Cannot understand how folk stop at 50 as pension not paid to age 66 ,up to then you are forced to sine on at dole office every fortnight or they would be at your door with a linch mob.
If you knew as many people who have died in they 50s as I, you'll know why I'm finished at the end of the year age 55.
There's more to life than earning money.

Engineer, telecoms/IT/solar/CCTV/DOOR entry, alarms, anything with wires,
Bought motorhome last December with intention of retiring April just gone, but still working. We will be off soon, inshallah as they say.

Marry someone older with a pension. ... invest in property that is let out. That’s how I retired at 50. Lucky too, as rents in Bristol are humongous, all to our benefit. And don’t worry too much about the future ... it may not happen!

who are the "they" you speak of?

Nobody is forced to sign on. If you have enough to live on you can do as you choose.

Agreed, never sign on if you don't need to. That way you have dropped out of the system.

Years ago I used to sign on while I was back in the UK between overseas contracts. I got no Benefits, just my NI Stamp. One time my car was stolen overnight and I forgot to sign on at the appointed day and time. A snotty little ***** at the Job Centre gave me a telling off even though I explained the circumstances ... so I tore up my card and showered her in confetti and never went back. :)

It worked out well for me being under the radar as I did a couple of short overseas contracts (which made me liable to paying UK Income Tax) under the radar. That snotty git did me a favour really.

retired 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 49, following a motorbike accident
Spent 2 Years in a wheelchair, bored out of my mind, then slowly got back to Semi retirement doing my trade, Joiner..
Live the life of Riley, sometimes, picking and choosing what I want to do
Waiting for my early pension, 1 year, and my wife’s early pension 4 yrs, then........off in the MH, or a newer one
Fingers crossed.

Semi retired in February 2017 after running my own sign making business for 27 years. Had an idea for making things for motorhomes to sell at Motorhome and Caravan Shows that would help keep my mind active so set to with my engraving machines at home. Now do all the Warners Shows accross the country.

IT support, web host, self-employed and also employed in Retail Toy Trade, Social Media Manager. Lone Parent of three for ten years though they are all now plus 16 so the parenting part has eased off
Motorhome (old one) was purchased with a view to having somewhere to live and work from as I work in IT and do a lot remotely and also discover more about RV's, solar and the like with a view to possible off-grid semi retirement with a low income.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back