Wi-fi when abroad

Hopefully it's all useful info for others looking for a deal.
BUT the Reglo is good for a month in France.
For Spain looking into the Lobster deal in post 35 they do a Spain only sim with 18gb for €10

7D08486C-52F6-4D52-B685-0FE7227A168C.jpeg
I am currently in France and brought this sim for WiFi from E.Leclerc. It’s been amazing so far I use it in my iPhone and hotspot other devices . It wasn’t on a stand I had to ask the person for Mobile data they have them behind the desk in the electrical department. It cost €9.99 plus €5 for the SIM card which I can top up each month for €9.99 giving me 60GB each month . Iv not added my credit and won’t continue after the 30 as I’m changing countries. I can confirm that the sim will work in Belgium but only for 5GB and it texts in French to top up but fine agin when going back into France. It’s quite possible the best purchase Iv made in France so far I’m very happy with it , highly recommend it.

This was the package we have been discussing............but without the photo.
It's probably the best package for France but as we discovered in the small print you only get 5gb of data outside France.
Hence the mention of the Lobster deal for those who are crossing over into Spain

Beware Giffgaff are reducing their roaming allowance to a measly 5Gb from 9th August. I will be moving to another provider.

I just blagged myself a stonking deal this afternoon. I must caveat it by saying that we have been customers of EE for yonks and have our mobiles (SIM only) at £7.83 each per month; home 4G router at £45 per month with unlimited data; and landline with them.

I started the conversation off regarding our SIM only deals. The data allowance on this is rubbish and I know that there are some cracking deals out there however because I am an existing customer with an older contract, I don't pay EU roaming charges with EE. Anyway I rang the "Are you thinking of leaving EE?" line and explained my position.

A most helpful chap there has now set me up with...

- My home 4G router with a new SIM card for £27 per month saving £216 per year. It's unlimited data again however I am getting a new SIM which is a mobile phone SIM card. As such I can now gift up to 100Gig of data a month off it.
- I kept the existing old £7.83 a month SIM only contracts running for our mobiles but I can now put 50Gig on to each mobile a month with my new 4G router SIM.
- I keep the free EU roaming as I haven't cancelled my old mobile contract PLUS (subject to fair use policy which I think is 50Gig per month) I can hotspot off either of our mobiles to use the gifted 50Gig of data on each phone when abroad. This also means I can watch BBC abroad as well without worrying abut getting a VPN.

This has sorted us now for the next 2 years. We take the home router with us away in the MH in the UK so get unlimited data on that plus we now basically get more data than we need when abroad....and have saved 18 quid a month too :D

Just seen a reference to this sim on another Forum https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/
Seems to offer a full 100gb in EU for £25 a month. Which is more than enough for us and cheaper than the Tiekom deal.
Presumably UK TV as a UK sim but still waiting to hear if it will work in a Mi Fi or if they allow tethering.
As has been said if other Countries can offer these roamong deals why can't UK companies

I was an EU-wide thing I think Pete. Once we came out of the EU companies in the UK could reintroduce the roaming charges.

No they didn't have to............. but once we were free from the shackles of the EU they were able to do so. And so they did
I was referring to EU companies like Reglo and Tiekom offering deals that would suit us motorhomers.
As far as I know this is the first UK company to offer a reasonable data deal for travelling abroad.

Yes - they didn't have to but why let that stand in the way of making profits!

O2 don't charge roaming I think. Just about the only ones who didn't reintroduce it. We are with EE and as we have had a contract since before some arbitrary cut off date, we don't get roaming charges off them either.

O2 don't charge roaming I think. Just about the only ones who didn't reintroduce it. We are with EE and as we have had a contract since before some arbitrary cut off date, we don't get roaming charges off them either.
I believe that there is a minimum value [£25pm?] contract needed with O2 to qualify for free roaming, Graham

Steve

I believe that there is a minimum value [£25pm?] contract needed with O2 to qualify for free roaming, Graham

Steve
Ok ta. I'm with EE so no worries there.

I'm with Vodafone and they don't charge , certainly on existing contracts but officially you are only allowed 25gb .
The reglo SIM doofer seems to be the business

Yes I think EE has a fair usage policy of 50Gb too. I can gift from our home unlimited 4G SIM so I put 50Gb on both mine and Mrs GMJ's phones before we went to Italy and that easily saw us through (alongside using the site's free wifi as well).

Beware Giffgaff are reducing their roaming allowance to a measly 5Gb from 9th August. I will be moving to another provider.
We've just moved to Smarty. The EU roaming is not limited, other than by the total allowance of your package. There's an offer on at present, 50Gb for £10pm

Steve

We've just moved to Smarty. The EU roaming is not limited, other than by the total allowance of your package. There's an offer on at present, 50Gb for £10pm

Steve
Thier Website appears to state "EU roaming is limited to 12GB per month. or am i missing something?
Ray

Thier Website appears to state "EU roaming is limited to 12GB per month. or am i missing something?
Ray
You're right, Ray; my apologies. A 'Senior Moment', just wish I could remember where I THOUGHT I'd read about unlimited usage! In practice, I don't think I'll need to worry, because the most I used in France was a smidgeon over 6Gb in one month; and, 9 days after having the Internet Package removed, I've used 1.3Gb, so 4-5Gb each month should be enough most of the time

Steve

Check Gifgaff,s T&C,s as I purchased a extra sim and tried it at home but when I used it in France GG shut it down saying it should have had prior use in the UK to qualify for free roaming I,d made a couple of calls and have been unable to find how much prior use is required

I have a dual sim phone, so between my wife’s and my phone we have 3 Smarty sims all set at the 12gb rate. We get them at £7.20 each per month as a group plan (10% discount).
The important thing is that I have different renewal dates for each sim, so data is not an issue for our style of usage.
We effectively have 36gb per month between us. When we return from France next week I shall pause the second sim for the maximum 6 months and possibly down size our main sims, although the saving for this is perhaps not much.

Davy

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back