Charging Leisure Batteries via EV points.

We bought a VW Tiguan in 2018 which is a noce towcar, and has decent height for access to the passenger seats. The compromise comes with the bike bars on the roof, mounting and dismounting is precarious and hard work. And passing under3m height barriers is real squeaky bum time :rolleyes:

Steve
I'd never beable to lift my e bike up on the roof of the yeti I d9nt have the strength now lolol

We bought a VW Tiguan in 2018 which is a noce towcar, and has decent height for access to the passenger seats. The compromise comes with the bike bars on the roof, mounting and dismounting is precarious and hard work. And passing under3m height barriers is real squeaky bum time :rolleyes:

Steve
Bleedin idiot

WTF are you getting on the roof for Steve, and you should be inside it not stood up there FFS.

Bleedin idiot

WTF are you getting on the roof for Steve, and you should be inside it not stood up there FFS.
I was only a bleedin idiot when I fell OFF the roof, Kev :D.

Tig's built in roofbars take the roof height to just above shoulder height, and then the crossbars and bike carrier bars have to go on top of that; so, putting the original bikes on the roof took the overall height to something like 2.93m for my bike, making the 3m barriers, especially those that have been hit and bent by earlier vehicles, a very close call. Our new ebikes are too heavy for Tig's bars, but would be able to fit under the 3m barriers, courtesy of the smaller frame and smaller wheels, but we'll never test this, because the bikes will be on the back of Brunhilde ...

Steve

I was only a bleedin idiot when I fell OFF the roof, Kev :D.

Tig's built in roofbars take the roof height to just above shoulder height, and then the crossbars and bike carrier bars have to go on top of that; so, putting the original bikes on the roof took the overall height to something like 2.93m for my bike, making the 3m barriers, especially those that have been hit and bent by earlier vehicles, a very close call. Our new ebikes are too heavy for Tig's bars, but would be able to fit under the 3m barriers, courtesy of the smaller frame and smaller wheels, but we'll never test this, because the bikes will be on the back of Brunhilde ...

Steve
well ..... if you wanted to be able to take the bikes with you when you went out in the car, you should have got folding ones! I can get both eBikes in the boot of the Vauxhall Corsa no problems (y)

well ..... if you wanted to be able to take the bikes with you when you went out in the car, you should have got folding ones! I can get both eBikes in the boot of the Vauxhall Corsa no problems (y)
Just for that, David, I'll PM you re reversing camera ... :D

Steve

Public EV charging is far from cheap, requires an account with each of the plethora of suppliers, and the connectors (and voltages) are not compatible with motorhome power inlets.

But let's not let facts get in the way of your snide comment, eh?

Public EV charging is far from cheap, requires an account with each of the plethora of suppliers, and the connectors (and voltages) are not compatible with motorhome power inlets.

But let's not let facts get in the way of your snide comment, eh?
I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I agree with the sentiments posted as there are plenty of greedy, tight fisted motorhome owners who can cause trouble for the rest.

Probably an unpopular comment, but using EV points for this seems like an ideal way to damage the reputation of motorhomers even more. But hey, who cares as long as it's cheap?

I've had a bit of a re-think on this, and as long as it's done while polite to and not blocking actual EV owners (as requested) it seems like a valid option.

My reason? It seems that no matter what we do or how responsibly we're doing it it's likely to upset someone, so as long as we know we're doing the right thing others can pretty much go whistle.

Is there any update on the legality and practicality of this, ie, have the charger companies started blocking it?

Is there any update on the legality and practicality of this, ie, have the charger companies started blocking it?
There is no law around EV charging, but there are regulations around the type of cable used for EV charging. The cables must be made using H07RN-F cable or similar. There are cheaper cables that use standard 3-core "Hook-up" flex, which would break the terms of use of the chargers. Also, beware of short cables that use your EHU cables, as these would not be allowed.

I am an EV owner, and the slow 7Kw chargers that motorhomes would use are not favoured by EV owners as they would take around 15 hours to charge a car, whereas fast chargers can fully charge a car in around half an hour. Fast chargers are tethered, so they have their own cable installed. This is normally DC and could not be used to charge motorhomes.

The high street in my town has a row of 7Kw chargers in dual-use bays that can be used for parking or charging, which are becoming more common.

One of our members, @Bruce Lauderdale, sells these cables, and there is lots of useful info on his website. He also has a discount code for out members that gives you £15 off when you spend £100 on his website. The code is: Motorhomer15

There is no law around EV charging, but there are regulations around the type of cable used for EV charging. The cables must be made using H07RN-F cable or similar. There are cheaper cables that use standard 3-core "Hook-up" flex, which would break the terms of use of the chargers. Also, beware of short cables that use your EHU cables, as these would not be allowed.

I am an EV owner, and the slow 7Kw chargers that motorhomes would use are not favoured by EV owners as they would take around 15 hours to charge a car, whereas fast chargers can fully charge a car in around half an hour. Fast chargers are tethered, so they have their own cable installed. This is normally DC and could not be used to charge motorhomes.

The high street in my town has a row of 7Kw chargers in dual-use bays that can be used for parking or charging, which are becoming more common.

One of our members, @Bruce Lauderdale, sells these cables, and there is lots of useful info on his website. He also has a discount code for out members that gives you £15 off when you spend £100 on his website. The code is: Motorhomer15

Thanks, I'll have a look.

£180 for a cable probably sounds reasonable in the EV world, but it seems a lot to me!

£180 for a cable probably sounds reasonable in the EV world, but it seems a lot to me!
If you compare it to buying a generator to charge your battery’s it’s not so bad. Of course, you need to be somewhere with EV charge points but don’t think that’s a problem for most

If you compare it to buying a generator to charge your battery’s it’s not so bad. Of course, you need to be somewhere with EV charge points but don’t think that’s a problem for most

I would also compare it to the cost of having to book into a site for the night just to top the batteries up.

Even at £20 per night with me being single, that's only 9 nights to cover it.

EV Charging cables are less than half that price on Amazon

Last edited:
And I would think to make it worthwhile, you would want both a Powerful Charger and Lithium Batteries to take advantage of that bigger charger in order to not hang around the charging point too long.
It would be a pointless investment if you had the typical motorhome/campervan charger.
But with a decent charging system, looks a great product - and assuming EV points are getting rolled out as extensively as claimed - very usable.

It would be a pointless investment if you had the typical motorhome/campervan charger.

Not pointless at all.

On its own it's a useful extra option, and adding the new charger and batteries could still be done later if required without having to through this cable away.

Not pointless at all.

On its own it's a useful extra option, and adding the new charger and batteries could still be done later if required without having to through this cable away.
we all have our opinions.
mine is that to spend £200 on a cable to connect a high speed charging point to a Motorhome charger with a 10A output is a poor investment.
If doing that in your mind is a good idea, go for it.

Bruce's cable is not the same as an EV charging cable. The cable has components in it to communicate with the EV charger and set the correct parameters. The cable also has a lock on it that is used to stop the charging and release the cable from the charger. These features are normally handled by the computer in the EV. The cable is also 10M long. Bruce's cable is handmade and tested in the UK by Bruce.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back