France 2023 tour.

See post card image of village we stopped at and viewed the Wine Museum, which was very interesting. Sitting on its own and covered from the elements is this old 1856 all wood wine press, which is HUGE. The acme thread cutting is so precise.

The reason for such a beast of grape press, to produce greater volumes of wine.
IMG_4689.jpegIMG_4676.jpegIMG_4679.jpegIMG_4681.jpegIMG_4680.jpeg

We’re missing out on France this year, Terry, and doing the Netherlands instead as we only have 5 or 6 weeks due to family commitments. Absolutely loving it here (the great weather so far helps) but your pictures have made us really miss France. Hopefully a 3 month trip next year so France it will be. Speaking the lingo really helps as I just love chatting to folk which I can do in France but Dutch is totally incomprehensible!

Hi Tony, what is good about the people of the Netherlands is, majority of them speak better English than born and bred English speakers.

So much to see and do here, it is a logistical juggle in what ti see and visit. Of course there is always next year.

Weather last couple of days at Besle has been overcast with light rain at times. Weather picked up late morning very warm and sunny, storm clouds brewing though, and thunder close by. I can live with this.

Glad you are enjoying Holland, which is in our visit list too.

After our tour to old Brioude visit to the wine museum, headed back to the other Brioude, as my bike derailleur needed looked at. Turned out the shop closed on a Monday, a few metres up from shop is the CP to park and tour the old part of the town. At the CP there is a dedicated area for camping cars, which is free (no snide remarks Mr Squeak Squeak) Flot Blu available for fresh water, grey and black waste dumping, tokens required. We stayed the night and bike fixed by 09.30 this morning.

A day late for uncle visit, we returned and passed through Blesle, from leaving this BVF, the only way is up, single track road with sheer drops, not for the squeamish. I actually had to clear my ears on the interesting drive up and, we are now parked up at the arse end of the world and a 1000 metre + above Blesle and the fog we drove through has not lifted, so really no idea of what lays around us.

A handful of houses is it, there is a castle of sorts, and a communal oven, which is still in use. Hopefully a better day tomorrow, so I can see where I am.

Uncles hoose opposite our camper, with his Gite next door, the castle and the 18c oven.

IMG_4713.jpegIMG_4718.jpegIMG_4720.jpegIMG_4721.jpegIMG_4714.jpeg

Last edited:
Up early this morning to visit Sebastian’s cousins farm, which they bought two year back. White knuckle ride to over 1500 metres all single track road. We eventually arrived at the other side of the arse hole of France. Both are young with big hearts, the building is a vocation and will take a few year to fix. That said, fair bit of work has been done and I could see the potential. Building is over 250 year old. Visit cover, return white knuckle drive down the mountain. Shame it was dense fog as I was told the views on a clear day are tremendous.

Back at Uncs, lunch, goodbyes said, then the drive down to Blesles, to give you and idea of high up we were, an easy 99% down to Blesles was done in neutral.

400 kms later, we are now back at MIL near Chauvigy. Been a long day!!!

Attached a couple of pics of front and rear of old farm house.IMG_4722.jpegIMG_4723.jpeg

Last edited:
An interesting mix of wall and roofing materials. 🤔

Mrs HS would go bananas without people to talk to. My thoughts are how long does it take to get to an A&E when I've sliced my hand, cos I previously have. ☹️

In my case, the answer was a kind of hospital super glue. 🙂

Up early this morning to visit Sebastian’s cousins farm, which they bought two year back. White knuckle ride to over 1500 metres all single track road. We eventually arrived at the other side of the arse hole of France. Both are young with big hearts, the building is a vocation and will take a few year to fix. That said, fair bit of work has been done and I could see the potential. Building is over 250 year old. Visit cover, return white knuckle drive down the mountain. Shame it was dense fog as I was told the views on a clear day are tremendous.

Back at Uncs, lunch, goodbyes said, then the drive down to Blesles, to give you and idea of high up we were, an easy 99% down to Blesles was done in neutral.

400 kms later, we are now back at MIL near Chauvigy. Been a long day!!!

Attached a couple of pics of front and rear of old farm house.View attachment 67633View attachment 67633
Now that's what I call a project ..............................💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻😃

An interesting mix of wall and roofing materials. 🤔

Mrs HS would go bananas without people to talk to. My thoughts are how long does it take to get to an A&E when I've sliced my hand, cos I previously have. ☹️

In my case, the answer was a kind of hospital super glue. 🙂
I said exactly the same, what happens in an emergency, a helo job I would think?

From gable end count two windows in, that part is the house, there are three floors, and the attic area is HUGE. Then there is a very concealed basement, hard to view the trap door. Remainder of building is a mix of single and mezzanine floors dedicated for animals and feed stuff, eg, hay.

Roof, yes, a real mixed bag, especially the rear.

Stone work: still has remnants of a screed that is being removed and original stone clean and remain exposed.

I bet no one noticed the cross on roof apex? It is to the right of the add on protruding past the original building line. French Resistance used the farm, and others around the area to sabotage the Nazis war machine. The crosses are out there to commemorate French Resistance fighters who conducted mayhem on the Nazis. FR ruled the mountains and gorges around this area.

All interesting historical information.

Well I did notice the cross as I checked out the complexity of the whole structure. I assumed (incorrectly) it was religious and didn't like to comment.

Every day is a school day. 😊

Every day is a school day. 😊
It certainly is.

Out of shot and down a track about 100 metres away from house is far larger cast steel cross fixed to a plinth with fresh flowers around it. While I was asking about the large cross, the smaller roof cross was pointed out, then the story and significance of these features.

Fresh flowers were in place from May 8th which was the date France was liberated from Nazi rule.

I was impressed someone had taken the time to lay flowers at this very remote location.

Last edited:
19.37hrs and no idea of the temperature but it‘s too hot to go inside the van so another glass of wIne is called for outside (Netherlands at a historic village called Orvelte)!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back