Prostate Cancer

I have just had a biopsy and go to hospital today for the result. I have been told by the consultant that I have it but they will tell me if it's treatable radiotherapy. It has apparently broken through the wall of my prostate.
Sorry to hear that Mike, let us know how you get on please, and of course best wishes that they can sort it out quickly and effectively.

I have just had a biopsy and go to hospital today for the result. I have been told by the consultant that I have it but they will tell me if it's treatable radiotherapy. It has apparently broken through the wall of my prostate.
Have started you on hormone therapy.

Thats the same with me, you will get tabs if it has not hit the bowels, then down the line radio treatment, dont panic its sortable these day, im told.

I have to mention that I find all the adverts we get online telling us how Urologists & scientists have found a way to reverse the effects and all you have to do is buy XYZ I just watched a video telling me it was hormones on the toilet paper is causing it, what a load of rubbish, it may be so but I think the Urolist might have told us before now.

I had a diagnosis in 2020 in the 1st lockdown. I had NO SYMPTOMS and only got the test because a friend of mine who was a cheese in Welsh Health education insisted I should get it done (against my Dr's advice from 5 years before) and my PSA was 170!!!! Good job Stella bullied me into going to the dr - I would be dead by now! I had a lot of Radiotherapy (38 sessions!!) and a course of a Enzalutimide for about 15 months - a truly horrible drug from which I have never quite got my balance back etc. Then 3 years on 3 monthly testosterone blocking injections. I was finally taken off everyhthing in April last year, 2023.
Anyway I remain here now. Thank goodness for Stella and her bullying ways:eek::ROFLMAO:. The whole business has left me with some displeasing side effects but on the whole I'm ok now. My last psa was less than one so I keep m'y fingers crossed.

Glad you're still with us Peter, during Covid it could have easily been swept away.

Back from hospital it is aggressive so have offered surgery although I am over 75 as I have no other issues and am fit.

Hopefully they get you in quick & get it all and you recover quickly, being fit will help with the recovery.

It's near to 100% Trev, most die with it but not of it, but of course, it is not one to ignore, get a test as early as you can, I'd say nag your doctor to have a feel, and do the blood test too.

Does any member on here know of anyone who has had an operation for an 'enlarged Prostate' on the NHS? I do not mean anything Cancerous or otherwise damaged, just "enlarged".

It seems like if you can afford private healthcare it will be done as a routine procedure, as in the case of HRH Charles 3rd.

I wanted surgery but to late ,a freinds had his prostrate removed , and all good took about 6 months for his water works to work correctly but he is fine now total control ..

Does any member on here know of anyone who has had an operation for an 'enlarged Prostate' on the NHS? I do not mean anything Cancerous or otherwise damaged, just "enlarged".
I had BPH (Benign prostate hyperplasia or something like that). After 18 months of tests on the NHS I went to see the consultant. He was obviously a bit harassed at the time and the notes and results he was reading out did not relate to me. After a number of issues relating to the tests and then this, I decided there and then he was not going to operate on me! I had a turps op (Trans urethal resection of the prostate), done privately on my works BUPA insurance. It took them 2 days to do the tests that the NHS had taken 18 months over. With a Turps, they push a tube down your willey, with camera, lights cutting electrodes etc and basically hack away to make the passage through the prostate bigger. After the op they said that they had to cut away a lot more than they anticipated, but the surgeon did say I was now unlikely to get Prostate cancer. Unfortunately in my case this was not true!

So what stage and treatment are you at now?

6 months after the initial diagnosis I had a robotic prostatectomy. It took 6 months because the original hospital said due to the Turps it was not possible to have a surgical operation. I did not want radiotherapy and eventually I was referred to a surgeon at another hospital.. He looked at me in disbelief when I told him what the others said. He said it wasn't a problem and he had done a few with similar history. For nearly 3 years PSA was below measurable levels, so I thought all ok. then the PSA started rising very slowly. Initially was on 4 monthly monitoring and then went to 6 monthly. They were going to put it out to yearly, but before the last 6 months one it stepped up, so back to 4 monthly. If the PSA keeps rising they want to do 'salvage' radiotherapy. The op was nearly 8 years ago. At present I am fit, I go orienteering (running competitively with a map and compass) help on a nature reserve, cut trees and log and split them, build things and am now converting a van. So overall it is not affecting me at all, just mentally.

Update the biopsy showed the cancer was aggressive and had broken through the wall of the prostate. I saw the consultant privately on the 23 rd January who recommended removal of the prostate and had a slot available on Monday 29th January on NHS so I had the op on Monday by robotic keyhole surgery not too many hospitals have this and was sent home yesterday they clearly needed the bed. So I have a catheter for 2 weeks and have been told not to do anything for 6 weeks which is awkward as the wife is waiting for a replacement hip so is not terribly mobile. I will know the prognosis whether they have got it all and how aggressive it was in six weeks time.

Back