This morning started with a bang

Is there a design fault here , should a rubber bump stop or similar be fitted so it just doesn’t collapse as it appears to have ?

What a let down:(

Sorry Phil I couldn't resist that, it is under warranty so it should be their problem not yours but if you need any assistance you have my number

Is there a design fault here , should a rubber bump stop or similar be fitted so it just doesn’t collapse as it appears to have ?
My van has full air suspension so there are no springs, There is a stop inside the bag, here is a picture of it when it was fitted.

bag.png

That's a pain, Phil. Your experience over the coming day or two will say an awful lot about SAP.
I hope you get great service and a prompt solution.

Colin ???

Did they get it on a truck in the end and what relay company did you use?
Hope all goes well.
Cheers. David

I was there when it when it went bang, sounded like a a tank shell being let off and my dog dived into the van. At least you were not far from civilisation Phil to sort it out. I had an air bag on my last van and had nothing but leaks so I am not a fan at all of them.

Air bags fitted to all our trucks and trailers,modern technology is a great thing (at times) but in all years I’ve been fortunate enough never to have one fail
Out of our fleet I think we’ve had just a few go pop ,now take mileage and mostly 44 tonnes on the back it’s a flipping good ratio
When it was springs all round we had more broken springs than burst air bags ,just one o them things imho

A component such as the one in question should surely have a far longer and more comprehensive level of guarantee?

Air bags fitted to all our trucks and trailers,modern technology is a great thing (at times) but in all years I’ve been fortunate enough never to have one fail
Out of our fleet I think we’ve had just a few go pop ,now take mileage and mostly 44 tonnes on the back it’s a flipping good ratio
When it was springs all round we had more broken springs than burst air bags ,just one o them things imho
44 tons that’s nothing compared to the weight Phil’s van carries ????

My van has full air suspension so there are no springs, There is a stop inside the bag, here is a picture of it when it was fitted.

View attachment 46926
I appreciate you said you don’t have springs, but the airbag looks to be mounted on a short taper leaf spring, the sort of setup you see on commercials.

I have spoken to Mick this morning and we are now sorting out the logistics of the replacement. He has never had a bag blow on a motorhome before and they fit the same bags to ambulances and there have been very few bag failures on them even with the stress they are put under.

He is phoning me later today to work out how we can do this.

I appreciate you said you don’t have springs, but the airbag looks to be mounted on a short taper leaf spring, the sort of setup you see on commercials.
If you look it is only fitted at the front end , and then axle , then is extended back and down to carry the airspring so its more of a locating bar than a spring HTSH :) PS they are set up like that as there isn't room to mount the airspring directly to the top of the axle .

If you look it is only fitted at the front end , and then axle , then is extended back and down to carry the airspring so its more of a locating bar than a spring HTSH :) PS they are set up like that as there isn't room to mount the airspring directly to the top of the axle .
Just thought that it was the rear section of a taperleaf spring the front end of which would fixed to the underside and tying the axle in position. What is HTSH short for? never seen that before.

I had one go bang under my truck seat once , the seat dropped down about 8 inches in less than a second, actually causing me to press the accelerator , then my automatic reaction was to hit the brakes and then I got thrown over the steering wheel , scary stuff :eek: . I dont think the truck driver behind me had clean underpants on anymore :poop:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back