This morning started with a bang

Phil, you must be deflated.

It will be interesting to see how quickly and how well the company react. Especially with it being so recently installed.

Phil, I had levellers fitted by SAP last year, although I have fitters much closer to home, and was really really impressed by their customer service and attention to detail. Mick and gang were great and I’m certain that they’ll move heaven and earth to get you on the road again as soon as. Good luck
Tony

Had it happen on my truck once when working for Argos with the drop body trucks (so air bags get used about 20 times a day).

As I had to bend down to reach the external air lever my head was beside the air bag at the time.

I was semi deaf (on one side) for over a week. Have to say it was one of the most harmonious times in our marriage!!! :)

@saxonborg Hope That's Some Help
The design was fitted to trucks (buses) that originally had leaf spring , and allowed the option of air suspension , so the location bar does look like the front half of a taper leaf spring , with the back end bent to fit the air chamber in .

I know mine are air assist rather than full blown air suspension but when I contacted AS last year I discovered they were fitted in 2007 so they do normallylast

@saxonborg Hope That's Some Help
The design was fitted to trucks (buses) that originally had leaf spring , and allowed the option of air suspension , so the location bar does look like the front half of a taper leaf spring , with the back end bent to fit the air chamber in .
Which is the reason I posed the original question, I used to work for Leyland DAF so I am familiar with the design, however a lot of water has gone under the bridge since and things obviously change.

I wonder how best to look after the air suspension. I generally just keep ours at the same pressure,even when in storage.

I was thinking whether occassionally I should inflate almost fully and then let down and again.

It feels to me that would help the bags keep their "flexibility" Any thoughts

Airsprings are incredibly resilient , most problems occur thru abrasion , or simple ageing , ie perishing of the rubber .
They tend to have shorter lives in extreme cold , but otherwise are very reliable , and being inflated and deflated makes no discernible difference . Like any thing manufactured anomalies during build can cause a shorter life . HTSH

Airsprings are incredibly resilient , most problems occur thru abrasion , or simple ageing , ie perishing of the rubber .
They tend to have shorter lives in extreme cold , but otherwise are very reliable , and being inflated and deflated makes no discernible difference . Like any thing manufactured anomalies during build can cause a shorter life . HTSH
Pray tell what is “HTSH” cheers.

Any progress with your air suspension, Phil?
We were all hoping you'd get great service and a prompt fix from SAP.

Colin ???

Just an update.

SAP has not phoned me back yet I am going to take the bellow off on Sunday and post it back to them for a replacement.

Just an update.

SAP has not phoned me back yet I am going to take the bellow off on Sunday and post it back to them for a replacement.
a bit off-topic maybe ... Would it be correct to say it should be easier to change an airbag/bellows then a spring as you can just deflate it, swap it and reinflate rather then having to faff around with a spring compressor?
(asking out of curiosity as suspension work not my area and only replaced shocks and springs very occasionally)

a bit off-topic maybe ... Would it be correct to say it should be easier to change an airbag/bellows then a spring as you can just deflate it, swap it and reinflate rather then having to faff around with a spring compressor?
(asking out of curiosity as suspension work not my area and only replaced shocks and springs very occasionally)
Usually on commercial style vehicles airsprings are very easy to remove/fit , as they are not under tension when deflated , quite often might only have to disconnect supply line , and one or two bolts top and bottom . Normal requirements as to lifting /support of vehicle /axle .

I decided to crack on today and get the bellow removed so I am ready for a new one. It took 7 hours as the water tanks had to be removed to access the bolts at the top of the bellow and I had to drill out the bottom bolt as it was just spinning.

C77AEE9A-CEDB-4D97-AA4F-BF5B54C96781.jpeg
72433560-FD3E-43E7-8A2A-3275FE3A34D0.jpeg
939DCB51-7808-48B7-B455-41F08D3C5755.jpeg
FBF72869-5CD2-461B-B441-7D53CBA4D6C4.jpeg
CF2E30A5-A538-47BD-860E-7D4EF197121E.jpeg
84E900D0-52A3-4B3F-8F06-BBBCA52E3437.jpeg
89ECE3AE-9535-43FA-BBED-39FD87D6B696.jpeg
FC6F4E3F-40AE-4B0D-8B60-FDEC1951A0E5.jpeg

Doing this nearly killed me. In fact here is the next photo.
5878B137-80FE-43D6-9235-4278563FA2CE.jpeg

I am still alive but my heart is feeling a bit poorly, Don’t think it was a heart attack but my heart rate was 140, waiting for test results now.

Wow hope all is ok and your feeling better what happened, maybe it would have been wiser to get the guys that originally fitted it to sort it would have been less stressful .?

Jeeps Phil, take it easy, hope it was just a warning and everything is ok with the test results.
Dave

They are not doing anything Annie that’s the problem and I am going away on Wednesday.
Are they not under warranty or are they just too busy to sort it in time for you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back