Weather Report..................

Hertfordshire was frosty first thing then a fine mist arrived as, presumably, warmer, damper air crept across the countryside.
That's all cleared away now and we have W2W blue and nary a cloud.
Some patchy cloud is forecast to join us this afternoon - and I really don't want to think about what Sunday brings just yet!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Steamy, sticky, sultry.
26 in the shade. 30 plus when the sun breaks through.
The winds are veery variable.
Anything could happen.
Speedos and umbrella on standby

The weather has proved to be better than forecast in Herts. No complaints from me - those that arrange these things should please feel free to get it wrong in that direction as often as possible.
It was a most enjoyable Brompton ride around the lanes this morning. On the return leg I came across another cyclist also riding a black Brompton so we socially distanced and chatted for a while. It transpired that he worked for Sustrans and within that organisation had responsibility for the cycle network covering the whole of the East of England - quite a large area! A most knowledgeable and pleasant person to boot. Yet another instance of how the journey can be more interesting than the destination.

This afternoon at about 15:00 a strange object appeared flying over Luton airport travelling in a south-easterly direction:

IMG_20200507_150441.jpg

How do I get more information on such a mysterious event? And should I alert the authorities?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

The weather has proved to be better than forecast in Herts. No complaints from me - those that arrange these things should please feel free to get it wrong in that direction as often as possible.
It was a most enjoyable Brompton ride around the lanes this morning. On the return leg I came across another cyclist also riding a black Brompton so we socially distanced and chatted for a while. It transpired that he worked for Sustrans and within that organisation had responsibility for the cycle network covering the whole of the East of England - quite a large area! A most knowledgeable and pleasant person to boot. Yet another instance of how the journey can be more interesting than the destination.

This afternoon at about 15:00 a strange object appeared flying over Luton airport travelling in a south-easterly direction:

View attachment 54377

How do I get more information on such a mysterious event? And should I alert the authorities?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Have a look here. It runs live, but if you hit the clock symbol you can set any time.I couldn’t see anything at the point you described.

Have a look here. It runs live, but if you hit the clock symbol you can set any time.I couldn’t see anything at the point you described.

Thanks for the information, Bill.
I'm being old here, but can't see the clock symbol you mention either on the opening page or the drop down menu. The time was actually closer to about 15:05 than 15:00 and the plane was high over Luton airport, not arriving or leaving there (I imagine).
I've found Luton airport within the app together with departure and arrival times but no historical flight data over the airport.

Could it be an 'unidentified aerial phenomenon' - to use the phrase preferred by the US Navy!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Thanks for the information, Bill.
I'm being old here, but can't see the clock symbol you mention either on the opening page or the drop down menu. The time was actually closer to about 15:05 than 15:00 and the plane was high over Luton airport, not arriving or leaving there (I imagine).
I've found Luton airport within the app together with departure and arrival times but no historical flight data over the airport.

Could it be an 'unidentified aerial phenomenon' - to use the phrase preferred by the US Navy!

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

There was a Ryanair at 40000 ft heading West at that time, as below.

FE22CD30-4E5C-49FC-A3F2-750712A9197F.png
I‘ve done an arrow to the time changer on the picture below.

8BB4BA2F-CEEF-4A6D-85A2-E2F00BF8A891.jpeg

View attachment 54380

View attachment 54381

Thanks for persevering with me, Bill. I think that the issue I've had stems from the fact that I've used a phone to look at the website, whereas it looks as if you've used something much bigger!
When I get home from my statutory exercise I'll try using a bigger screen.
Again, many thanks.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Reactions: 2cv
Here in Hertfordshire it's warm, sunny and altogether wonderful.
It's exercise this morning and a couple of unnecessary jobs this afternoon for me. That'll be followed by a bite of something suited to the celebration of the 75th anniversary of VE day in glorious sunshine.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Morning all another lovely day here near Durham blue skies and a few clouds but it was reading 18 degs in the garden this morning,

Cracking day.
The breezes make it tolerable.
The barometer is falling and the forecast is for some substantial rain over the weekend.
An unusual event but would be most welcome.

View attachment 54380

View attachment 54381

Everything became clear on a bigger screen, Bill. That's a very nice app/website. It's particularly useful to be able to adjust the playing speed by using the blue slide adjuster.
I may have seen a Martinair aircraft. Pretty much the right time (once I realised that start time currently needs to be set in GMT+1 but the timer shows GMT!). The Martinair aircraft had a slightly different course to the one I (probably mistakenly) recall but is the only one anywhere near 15:05 GMT+1.
I've bookmarked the site for future reference.
Again, thanks.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
Reactions: 2cv
Everything became clear on a bigger screen, Bill. That's a very nice app/website. It's particularly useful to be able to adjust the playing speed by using the blue slide adjuster.
I may have seen a Martinair aircraft. Pretty much the right time (once I realised that start time currently needs to be set in GMT+1 but the timer shows GMT!). The Martinair aircraft had a slightly different course to the one I (probably mistakenly) recall but is the only one anywhere near 15:05 GMT+1.
I've bookmarked the site for future reference.
Again, thanks.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

So glad you got it working Colin. I’ve got the app and it’s very interesting even in normal times.

So glad you got it working Colin. I’ve got the app and it’s very interesting even in normal times.

Last question - I promise!
What is the name of the app that you're using, Bill? The website is called planefinder.net but I can't see that name in the Google app store (there seems to be a lot of apps offering plane tracking!).
It would help to find the correct app if I knew the app name and the app owner/developer.
I think I'd enjoy using an app and they're usually better than a website on a phone.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Last question - I promise!
What is the name of the app that you're using, Bill? The website is called planefinder.net but I can't see that name in the Google app store (there seems to be a lot of apps offering plane tracking!).
It would help to find the correct app if I knew the app name and the app owner/developer.
I think I'd enjoy using an app and they're usually better than a website on a phone.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

The app works very well on my i pad and i phone, don’t know if they do one on the google app store.Here’s a link for the apple version.

The app works very well on my i pad and i phone, don’t know if they do one on the google app store.Here’s a link for the apple version.

Thanks once again, Bill.
I've found the app in the Google store, downloaded the free (lite) version and will have a play with it.
Thanks again for your patience and help.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Beautiful blue skies, perfect day for trying to sort the grass and wild flowers which have taken over the garden. Lots of miniature snapdragons were finishing blooming when we left in Jan and in full bloom again now but surrounded by weeds and dead bluebells. Lots of forget me nots and primrose ( mainly in the edges of the grass) ...had to be hard when I strimmed, then mowed, the grass or it would have been very patchy. Still got several areas to strim, and hedges and shrubs to trim, before we can look at planting anything. Surprised at how many plants have overwintered even the geraniums are still looking healthy. And my orchids at home, not watered for four months, are in bloom!

Another wonderful start to the day here in Hertfordshire with nary (thanks, Chris) a cloud and air that's rapidly warming. We're likely to be sitting around in temperatures approaching the mid twenties this afternoon - that should be very pleasant indeed.

We haven't heard from our foreign correspondent in Cheshire for a couple of weeks. Could it be that, as it is with flour in Herts, delivery issues are adversely affecting the weather there?

Colin 🙂🙂🙂

Back