What did you do to your van today?

Got the back axle up on stands and gave the handbrake a quick tweak. Drained the water system down, in case in got forgotten over the Christmas break. Weather permitting, I may give her a wash tomorrow, she’s still dirty from the trip back from the Algarve. Forecast doesn’t look too good though, so will play it by ear.

Picked up the easy lifter hubs from local garage after new bearings fitted .total cost £57 kit £25 fitting .
The new bearings are much better quality than old ones fitted ..

Last edited:
Got the back axle up on stands and gave the handbrake a quick tweak. Drained the water system down, in case in got forgotten over the Christmas break. Weather permitting, I may give her a wash tomorrow, she’s still dirty from the trip back from the Algarve. Forecast doesn’t look too good though, so will play it by ear.
Best time to wash van is when it's raining.
Long brush with bucket of caravan cleaner. Then garden sprayer with Bobby dazzler/ demon shine to rinse off. Jobs a good un.

Best time to wash van is when it's raining.
Long brush with bucket of caravan cleaner. Then garden sprayer with Bobby dazzler/ demon shine to rinse off. Jobs a good un.
You are correct, of course, but these days I need inspiring to get on with jobs like this. Cold wind and rain are not really doing it for me at the moment. Besides, I’ve got all these really important things to do indoors.............😂

You are correct, of course, but these days I need inspiring to get on with jobs like this. Cold wind and rain are not really doing it for me at the moment. Besides, I’ve got all these really important things to do indoors.............😂
Being a postman, I don't have any problems with weather. As my old drill Sargent used to say 'No such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing'.

Went out for a drive this morning. Probably last one this year :(

Exciting it was! Hitched up the trailer and set off ..... Recycling Centre/Tip here I come :rolleyes:

Well it's still a bit wet for working on the van with the doors open and after a conversation with another member I thought it was about time to get tank measurement working on a Raspberry Pi running Victrons Venus/Cerbo GX ported software.

Luckily my eBay purchase, an MCP3208 ADC chip, turned up this morning a day early. The electronics part was easy but finding the relative posts on the Victron Community forum to update the RPi's code took a bit of time (links below). Having got the tank measurement part working it was then time to simulate a tank sender. Victron have a number of options in there software for resistive type sender units but that is added complication and cost. Using an Arduino is far easier, cheaper and adaptable.

The Arduino, given the tank volume and dosing pump volume can calculate the fuel used by counting pump pulses the amount of fuel remaining in the tank. From this it then produces a voltage relative to the fuel remaining in the tank (1.8v Full, 0v Empty) simulating a tank sender. This voltage is read by the ADC and the value passed to the Raspberry Pi when asked.

And here is a picture of the the Victron GX screen with three tanks. Fresh Water is empty, the Waste Water and Fuel are at 93%.

cp.png
useful links:

I checked my gas bottle and if the chicken and steak in the fridge were still ok a few days past sell by date 😝. On a more serious note I did check the tyre pressures and locks due some very cold weather.
-wishing you all a fantastic Christmas-

Just been out to check the motorhome and noticed the hab battery's had dropped to 75% nothing is switched on!! is this normal for lithium battery's ? haven't used it for 4 weeks. Hope we haven't got a problem.

I checked my gas bottle and if the chicken and steak in the fridge were still ok a few days past sell by date 😝. On a more serious note I did check the tyre pressures and locks due some very cold weather.
-wishing you all a fantastic Christmas-
Where in France are you or nearest town !!!!

Where in France are you or nearest town !!!!
Benodet, would be great to say hi :)
I’ve a semi half decent bottle of red that
Needs polishing off.

it has become hard with the lockdown restrictions traveling lately, but in “Normandy and Brittany ”’ they have been very pro camping cars and lovely people.

Last edited:
Love Benodet. Stayed there on the campsite for a few days a couple of years back and took our bikes across on the little ferry on one of the hottest days of the year. Brings back a lot of lovely memories.

Same here we spent a week last year on camping Du Letti in Benodet we booked for two nights and ended up staying a week as my wee one loved the pool and the beach it was over bastile day holiday and the wee town was buzzing. Great market there too. Defiantly go back there.

If i remember rightly it was Camping du Letti we stayed at as well and like Wully we ended up staying longer than we had booked for. Great place.

My can today?
1. Immobiliser stuck on
2. Extremely wet main cab through the roof bar fitting
3. Arghh.....

I'm dreading boxing day check out.

Back