What did you do to your van today?

Connected water pipes to the sink and shower , testing tomorrow for leaks - it got dark... its nearly looking like a proper shower room cept its still got no top cupboards or a side wall and door !

After loading it up we washed it ready for off tomorrow, bl**dy black streaks, got most of them off, next wash may be better

After loading it up we washed it ready for off tomorrow, bl**dy black streaks, got most of them off, next wash may be better
Leave 'em, they add character.

Changed my Leisure battery...
Out came the suspect Numax SLc140-12 and in went a Leoch LAGM160 giving me a small but useful 20 AH increase.

K ;)

Started to wire my solar panels, managed to route the cables so I didn’t have to drill any holes anywhere, except two small ones but they can’t be seen when a put the floor trim at the door back in place.

Well I am having a tidy up in my camper and found a specific pair of glasses that I had lost before - I think - I even had this van! how does that happen?

Cleaned out inside checked water heater and heater everything working thank goodness. Got rid of black streaks and washed it need a lie down now

I had a real sh1ty day. I blacked the tyres with forever black tyre gel which I do on a regular basis, more to protect them against UV than for any cosmetic reasons. Then I got down, literally to the dirty work, lying full length on the floor with my arm up to the elbow in the waste water tank giving it a good scrub out. Then grit the teeth, but keeping the mouth closed I dismantled the cassette. Fortunately it has a large diameter opening which is removable by twisting and lifting out. The lid contains all of the moving parts associated with the opening and closing of the flap as I am sure you know. I had been soaking the cassette for a few days with a bio tablet in it which I find quite effective. Then it was clean everything with water, pot scrub, bottle brushes and scouring pad to get rid of the limescale that coats the difficult to access parts. Hose with jet spray is very effective, but glad I kept my mouth shut and had my glasses on!!

Result, the cassette is now so clean you could eat your dinner off of it (note I said YOU ). I will pass on that. These were the final routine jobs before packing for a 6 week run in France and Spain next month. Good to go unless I have given myself dysentery or other pleasant disease after the cassette job.

Davy

• Well Done
Reactions: 2cv
My converted Sprinter van battery was almost flat, due to standing over winter, so van would not start. To add to the problems my side lights were on when the switch was in the off position. Could it be a fuse or a relay?
Anyway, charged up the battery (had to take it out of the van as elec is not available where it is parked) and replaced it in the van and.........hey presto! Everything was fine, the van jumped into life and the side lights were, once more, under my control. I presume a low battery cannot control all electronics so it goes a little haywire!!
Thank goodness it's all OK - didn't fancy anymore bills.

After coming home yesterday with liquid levels not showing, I had to do something to get it sorted.
Nothing obvious on tanks nor on display above door. That only left the Sargent unit. It was a loose
connection - but don't ask me what one. After taking the unit down and replacing it again, the water
levels now show as good. Lets hope it stays that way.

Flushed out the fresh water tank and filled it with our very chlorine local water. Will leave it until Monday then flush it again and refill ready for leaving on Tuesday...

Getting excited now...

K ;)

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
I took my van to the garage because the alternator blew up in a cloud of white smoke. More expense!

Mot today passed? extending waste outlet tomorrow sick of going down on my knees to drain off should have done it when l converted it 3 years ago

Took my van to my mechanic last Tuesday & left it with him for a good fettling and an mot.
New plugs, leads and a shiny new pancake filter were the extras for the service needed.

Got the van back today with the bonus of the carburettor having had a good clean & reset.

The new mot with no advisories seemed almost incidental !!
Looking forward to adding some serious miles getting out & about in the coming year.

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
I took the double depth tow bar (to cover bike rack) off my van in the Autumn and all in it weighed an amazing 55kg!
So that's quite a bit of payload improvement - or at least reduction in overload!

Last edited:
I've got a couple of small holes in the exhaust inbetween the two silencers on my 2004 Ducato/Alko.
Needless to say nobody seems to carry or can get one to suit. Fiat stopped support a good few years ago apparently.
The only one available is an integrated part which might go under van but doesn't match the original!
The boxes are ok so I'm hoping to get a new pipe to stitch in.
Has anyone else managed to get off the shelf exhaust?
My van is Bessacarr E745 - I expect most of their range are the same.

Back