What did you do to your van today?

After a distinctly jolly New Year’s Eve, I decided to take a closer look at the fridge wiring and feed. There is 0V on the main 12V feed (Red, White/Red which maps to Red, White on the fridge) and 5V on Brown,White/Red (maps to Purple, Black).I think the latter is the permanent feed for the electronics.

This seems to rule out the fridge itself as the problem. So I extracted the EC400. Sadly, I don’t have (and couldn’t find) a wiring diagram for the EC400, and - equally baffling - couldn’t find the fridge coloured wires emerging from the wiring loom. However, I extracted/cleaned/re-fitted all the plugs on the EC400 with no change in behaviour.

I’ll ask as a main topic if anybody has an EC400 wiring diagram and (preferably) a wiring diagram for the Autocruise Rhythm.

After a distinctly jolly New Year’s Eve, I decided to take a closer look at the fridge wiring and feed. There is 0V on the main 12V feed (Red, White/Red which maps to Red, White on the fridge) and 5V on Brown,White/Red (maps to Purple, Black).I think the latter is the permanent feed for the electronics.

This seems to rule out the fridge itself as the problem. So I extracted the EC400. Sadly, I don’t have (and couldn’t find) a wiring diagram for the EC400, and - equally baffling - couldn’t find the fridge coloured wires emerging from the wiring loom. However, I extracted/cleaned/re-fitted all the plugs on the EC400 with no change in behaviour.

I’ll ask as a main topic if anybody has an EC400 wiring diagram and (preferably) a wiring diagram for the Autocruise Rhythm.
I've no first hand knowledge of the EC400 but was the engine running when you checked for 12v output .....

Need to load up for the trip down to Wildebus, for David to sort out the fitting of the AMT 12 Battery Relay/Charger and a B2B Charger, whilst concurrently stripping as much kit out as possible so that he has space in which to work ... Bit of a paradox; normally, there's plenty of space in our 5.99m M/home for the pair of us, but when we need to use it at the same time as having work done, the lack of stowage becomes obvious very quickly :rolleyes:

Large tarp so that the upholstery cushions etc can be wrapped and dumped outside seems favourite at present

Steve

Nothing more exciting than unplugging it after 2-3 days on EHU at home.

No sooner had I got the van fully prepared for a New Year away in Findhorn that we got a call telling us Sue’s father in Preston was pretty ill and we decided to get down there sharpish in the car as we’ll need to have a car there to do a bit of running around. So van unpacked and drained down again and sitting looking sorry for itself unused in the garden. C’est la vie and family comes first.
Fingers crossed for sues dad ,hope it turns out well tony

Fingers crossed for sues dad ,hope it turns out well tony

Thanks Gordon. Things not nearly so bad down here as had been reported to us. He had a bad fall and the painkillers made home very confused, so much so that he didn’t know where he was. Pain has eased off now and he’s not too bad for a 90 year old so Sue and I feels bit better about things. All being well back up the road on Tuesday.

I've no first hand knowledge of the EC400 but was the engine running when you checked for 12v output .....
Good point. I had forgotten that the motor needs to be running to get 12V.
Doesn’t explain the low voltage on the permanent feed though.

Filled Brunhilde with Diesel and LPG and drove through the rain to arrive at a sodden Flodden Field, ready for the electrical work tomorrow. According to the Information Board, it was hissing down on the day of the Battle in 1513, and, judging by the flooded roads, it doesn't look like the rain ever stopped in the ensuing 508 years ...

Brunhilde looks like she's been rallied 😄

Steve

Filled Brunhilde with Diesel and LPG and drove through the rain to arrive at a sodden Flodden Field, ready for the electrical work tomorrow. According to the Information Board, it was hissing down on the day of the Battle in 1513, and, judging by the flooded roads, it doesn't look like the rain ever stopped in the ensuing 508 years ...

Brunhilde looks like she's been rallied 😄

Steve
You obviously love history as much as me Steve. If it's not too late, less that two miles away from Flodden Field is the Anglo-Saxon Maelmin Henge & Heritage Trail near Milfield. There are signs to explain what you are looking at.

About 4 miles further south is my late mother's favourite hill of Yeavering Bell, and an additional couple of miles is my favourite hill of Humbleton. Both are late-prehistoric hill forts and there are superb views from the tops of either.

I remembered about the MH delaminated floor so removed the carpet and table to suss it out. Only about 0.3 m2 on main walkway to do so not too bad, drilled a couple of test holes and ordered some resin. :)

You obviously love history as much as me Steve. If it's not too late, less that two miles away from Flodden Field is the Anglo-Saxon Maelmin Henge & Heritage Trail near Milfield. There are signs to explain what you are looking at.

About 4 miles further south is my late mother's favourite hill of Yeavering Bell, and an additional couple of miles is my favourite hill of Humbleton. Both are late-prehistoric hill forts and there are superb views from the tops of either.
Got back from David at Wildebus about 3/4 hour ago, Hurricane, so a wee bit late for this trip [which was specifically for the electrical work, which was done superbly and with a great deal of patience by David, so Hat Tip to him! The modified Brunhilde should be better equipped for off grid adventures, so a return to the area to explore the sites when the rain is warmer, is a distinct possibility

We had a Truma Heating problem last night with a Fault Code suggesting low battery levels, so out in the pitch dark, trying to check the starter battery level by the light of my phone; couldn't see anything obvious, so returned to the Van, shivering and decided to retire to bed, having turned the heating off. Freezing temperatures, and I could feel a howling gale blowing through the interior. When I woke this morning, I discovered the reason; in my panic, I had forgotten to close the bonnet, it was wide open to the elements and a COVID Air Changing Regime was working well ... No further entries for the 'Wally of the Week' Award will be considered after my efforts ...

'Quelle tete de Richard' as they might say somewhere in France ... 😊

Steve

I removed the toilet cassette access door, a Thetford 3, as the paintwork was bubbling up from rust at the bottom.
Once removed and on the bench I was able to remove the inner frame and then the plywood packing to reveal the back of the steel panel.
Obviously water had gotten in and as the steel was not coated on the back nor the cut edges, tin worm had set in.
The wood packing pieces were wet and rotting.
I have removed the steel panel and clear silicon bathroom type sealant and have cut a piece of shower wall board (not the cheap core type of board) to shape. Its plastic faced and quite sturdy so should stiffen the door sufficiently and be waterproof.
I am awaiting paint and lacquer to dry now before reassembly with sikaflex sealant.
I will post pictures when it is complete.
K ;)

Nothing so techie here: i dressed the tyres with some tyre blackening and let a few pounds of pressure out of the front two tyres as they are wearing unevenly.

Fitted thermostatically controlled fans into the top fridge vent, to help the fridge cope, if it gets overly warm on the Long Road South, also fitted a new gas burner, now she roars like train!
Tomorrow, the plan is to clean the EGR valve using one of the sprays into to the air intake. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Fitted thermostatically controlled fans into the top fridge vent, to help the fridge cope, if it gets overly warm on the Long Road South, also fitted a new gas burner, now she roars like train!
Tomorrow, the plan is to clean the EGR valve using one of the sprays into to the air intake. Any recommendations?
Rog, give our best wishes to the Hobbits from Peter & Sue, ta

Back