What did you do to your van today?

usually on the floor of the van we use carpet planks 1mtr x250 very hard wearing long lasting etc, but since we now have a puppy along decided we had better lift them, the floor of our hymer b544 has 8 storage hatches into the double floor didn’t want them soaking up any spills so bought an offcut of cushion floor to give a temporary cover, i decided to use the carpet planks as a template and rolled out the lino it was a bit of a jigsaw and didn’t realise how long the floor area was and with Maeve helping the job took a while but all done now just got to go in the van and give it a spring clean & allow to dry before we fit it tomorrow 055129E4-59B1-407B-A759-AE9AADBC0D0C.jpegA7E47068-2341-4BA7-95D6-E08B8A7B88A7.jpegF9A0BCE0-E5D8-4178-B3D6-252756D0DF54.jpeg

Elaine kindly sewed 8 padded pockets to fit over the handlebars and pedals of the bikes so that the Hindermann Bike Cover could be tensioned properly without the risk of pedals chafing the material. Had to play around with handlebar settings to enable the Cover to be hookd over the handlebars and the pad, and a couple of allen bolts had seized, so the job took a lot longer than I hoped, but the Cover sits square and the security warning plate fits quite nicely.

If anyone needs a Taylormade 2 x EBike Cover, Inow have one looking for a new home! It's got 3 or 3 small holes in the bottom nearside corner [3mm each?] where I brushed a branch when parking but otherwise it's had very little use

Steve

today i made a lot more work for myself ! i’ve had replacement spotlights for a few weeks nice LED ones with u s b ports built in today i got round to swapping them , to start with the old ones were on very short wires & i had to snip them to remove touched the wires on the new ones to the cut wires to check polarity great , i had to trim the wires back to fit connectors where the old wiring comes out of the back of the cupboards through a 22 mm hole ! and at that point it all went wrong the little wire on the left of the lights came out of the connector up inside the ducting &/ it looks like i will have to strip half the side of the van off to access them unless i can run another feed from further away ? CE279596-BDD8-4ABA-B8DF-9359995CC3BC.jpeg

today i made a lot more work for myself ! i’ve had replacement spotlights for a few weeks nice LED ones with u s b ports built in today i got round to swapping them , to start with the old ones were on very short wires & i had to snip them to remove touched the wires on the new ones to the cut wires to check polarity great , i had to trim the wires back to fit connectors where the old wiring comes out of the back of the cupboards through a 22 mm hole ! and at that point it all went wrong the little wire on the left of the lights came out of the connector up inside the ducting &/ it looks like i will have to strip half the side of the van off to access them unless i can run another feed from further away ? View attachment 62913
That's a bummer Ken

Patient [slow] wading through the M/Home contents to determine which stuff can be safely left at home [or sold/disposed of] after my scattergun 'put it in just in case' approach. It's likely to take a couple of days ...

Steve

Replaced a power steering hose (pump to ram) because the metal section was corroded and leaking, no protection from the elements, in contrast the return pipe is alloy and has no corrosion on it. If anybody has to do this job it’s worth knowing that the union that screws into the pump has to be ordered seperately and then fitted to the ps pipe, these unions are single use as you have to push the ps pipe into the union and past a circlip, once in the only way to remove it is to cut it off.

Removed the 5 Ltr can of engine oil I bought in Vilafranca having topped up my 1 Ltr container ready for the next trip

Steve

Reactions: 2cv
today i made a lot more work for myself ! i’ve had replacement spotlights for a few weeks nice LED ones with u s b ports built in today i got round to swapping them , to start with the old ones were on very short wires & i had to snip them to remove touched the wires on the new ones to the cut wires to check polarity great , i had to trim the wires back to fit connectors where the old wiring comes out of the back of the cupboards through a 22 mm hole ! and at that point it all went wrong the little wire on the left of the lights came out of the connector up inside the ducting &/ it looks like i will have to strip half the side of the van off to access them unless i can run another feed from further away ? View attachment 62913
These can be very handy to run new cables without dismantling half a motorhome ...

New roller bar for the roof bars arrived and sorted.
Installed a wine rack
And found a hone under a bench for the cobb cooker.
Still on a roll 😇

IMG-20220517-WA0001.jpeg

thanks david ordered a set of them i have the old brake cable type with a couple of loops in been invaluable over the years but these look great
What I do sometimes is wrap some duct tape on the end, sticky side out, and push the rods in and waggle them! That can work well in capturing wires that have dropped down and nothing to get hold off

The metal coat hangers that Dry Cleaners used make good 'fishing rods', as do the 'Litter Picker' clawhooks that the £ Shops stock periodically

Steve

Banks have [had?] arrangements with their competitors [in the olden days when we still had Bank branches in each town] to hold a duplicate set of keys in an unmarked sealed package, because, sometimes, despite regular instructions to the contrary, a staff member will stand in front of the safe security grille and ask a colleague to 'throw us the keys' ... Access to the duplicate keys had to be reported to Regional Office and any hint of regularity of access would involve the Bank Inspectors paying an unannounced visit to see what other security breaches were going on ...

So, the first port of call when the keys sailed past the grille was the Cleaner's Cupboard for broom stales, mop handles and anything else that could be used to retrieve the keys. Of course the strong room floor was quarry tiles, and a flying set of keys will slide gracefully right to the rear of the secure area effortlessly ... :rolleyes:

Steve

This is the type of Thread that one stumbles across and thinks, 'If only I had read this last week, before I started the dismantling ...' Nothing of a 'rocket science' category, but lots of useful tips and things to try. The only drawback is the fading memory and the consequent 'I'm sure somebody had a great idea for solving this problem; now who was it?' ... 3 hours later ... ☺️ (y)

Not that I have had any experience of the final sentence ... But putting a metal hook in the extended wooden nose can sometimes help to retrieve the missing object!

Steve

Back