What did you do to your van today?

Languishing in a German distribution hub were the required parts to cure Murky’s incontinence. Anita had enough. After a firm email the parts arrived the next day. Unfortunately I was required to do my allotted work before playing with luxuries. So this afternoon I finally managed to throw the new bits at it. So far so good, I ran the hydronic for half an hour and no leaks. Before I escape next I will change the water for a 50% ethylene glycol mixture. Sod the pink stuff, I like blue.

Last edited:
I finished off tidying up for Lochore and ordered a leisure battery from Alpha. My present one dies when any large load is applied so the electric hook up at Lochore will be essential . Alpha were brilliant, the battery I need is in very short supply at the moment.
which one did you get?

Two square pillows delivered today with linen covers to make them day cushions. Smaller than conventional pillows, and will enable us to leave the original cushions in the M/Home storage depot, aka the Spare Room. A small van is great for manoeuvring, but the lack of space does cause difficulties at times, usually when swapping from bed to day layout or vice versa!

Steve

Reactions: 2cv
Painted over more peeling paintwork on the roof:rolleyes:
Previous repairs appear to be sound so that was good news.
At least so far its limited to the roof panel along the seams so cannot be seen from ground level, unless you are VERY tall, or on stilts.
K ;)

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
Fitted a
fitted a Maxxshade to my MaxxAir fan, with LED’s

Still on a roll.

Fitted 12v standard and USB sockets
New curtains by Mrs A. (I fitted them)
Booked an aircon refill for tomorrow morning.
Phew....

Next job is to work out how to fit the the solar panel system for a a none fixed version.

David of wildebus fitted 2 x USB and 2 x ABB07 so that I can monitor the Leisure & Starter Batteries without dismantling all the upholstery. Still discussing the inverter options ...

Still no news on the fridge door handle delivery from Dometic. I have to call again tomorrow ... Eventually somebody will take responsibility and tell me if the parts have arrived; or not ...

Steve

Well I managed to swap the wheels round,front to back and vice versa, but unfortunately in the process I managed to do my back in so that's me laid up for a few days...,.as they say "Shit happens"!
Or,'Aah Shiiit!' happens, when you straighten up, bit your back doesn't and the sciatic nerve twangs away. Get a copy of 'Treat Your Own Back' by Robin McKenzie asap and, if it is *just* a back strain, doing the push up, arched back and hip extension extension exercises should have the sciatic pain travelling south within 4 days.

Mr McKenzie is a NZ physio who developed the exercises for Sheep farmers in remote locations who had little choice but to treat themselves. I was told to buy my copy by the NHS Physio about 25 years ago and it has paid for itself many times over. Knowing that you can become comfortable again within a couple of hours is a total joy!

Steve

Parts for the broken Fridge Door Handle and Travel Catch arrived today; earliest fitting appointment would cut across our attendance at the Rallies, so we fetched the parts and spent an entertaining afternoon working out how to fit them new bits and finding a safe storage space for the other bits which remained serviceable in preparation for the next time the Travel Catch mechanism fails. Tried to order a further spare Travel Catch mechanism to carry with us, but all UK stock appears to have been sold and Lead Times are now showing mid July ...

Insufficient clearance to plug the holes I drilled in the cabinet fridge housing for the temporary fix with a couple of bolts; so resorted to 2 x plastic jointing bolt caps [the type used to join kitchen cabinets together] held in place with Blu Tak. Decent looking finish and we now have a fridge door that opens as Dometic [lack of] design expertise left the drawing board. 'Form follows function' lost something in the translation (n)

Steve

Parts for the broken Fridge Door Handle and Travel Catch arrived today; earliest fitting appointment would cut across our attendance at the Rallies, so we fetched the parts and spent an entertaining afternoon working out how to fit them new bits and finding a safe storage space for the other bits which remained serviceable in preparation for the next time the Travel Catch mechanism fails. Tried to order a further spare Travel Catch mechanism to carry with us, but all UK stock appears to have been sold and Lead Times are now showing mid July ...

Insufficient clearance to plug the holes I drilled in the cabinet fridge housing for the temporary fix with a couple of bolts; so resorted to 2 x plastic jointing bolt caps [the type used to join kitchen cabinets together] held in place with Blu Tak. Decent looking finish and we now have a fridge door that opens as Dometic [lack of] design expertise left the drawing board. 'Form follows function' lost something in the translation (n)

Steve
This may be of interest to you ......
For Christmas I was given a pack of "Fix Its" (https://amzn.to/3wMNF9a).
810sAcfi5bL._SL1500_.jpg

These are moldable strips that go soft when dunked in hot water, then are mallable until they cool down and keep the shape you left them. Then when done with, dunk in water again and reuse & reshape for the next temporary repair.
81U3BeJKWAL._SL1500_.jpg

I used a bit of one as a watch strap part a couple of weeks ago, but they look pretty strong and could be used for all manner of things including workable latches and the like I would think?

This may be of interest to you ......
For Christmas I was given a pack of "Fix Its" (https://amzn.to/3wMNF9a).
810sAcfi5bL._SL1500_.jpg

These are moldable strips that go soft when dunked in hot water, then are mallable until they cool down and keep the shape you left them. Then when done with, dunk in water again and reuse & reshape for the next temporary repair.
81U3BeJKWAL._SL1500_.jpg

I used a bit of one as a watch strap part a couple of weeks ago, but they look pretty strong and could be used for all manner of things including workable latches and the like I would think?
I'm not sure that these would have been usable when the handle of the fridge and the security latch broke, David, because of the load the release process needs to free the catch and break the magnetic seal. The main problem I had was lack of parts availability [and it's got a lot worse in the last 48 hours in UK with 'hoped for' Delivery Times around 12th July for Dometic] and coming up with a temporary fixing kit that I could make on a Spanish Aire, sans EHU, with only a hacksaw, socket set and a battery screwdriver/drill plus hardware from the Fereteria. I now have the temporary fix kit [just have to remove the 2 Blu Tak fixed seals over the cupboard holes and then spend 1/2 hour reassembling the parts] for the next time! I can use the plastic part of the broken fridge handle to attach to the new metal portion with some discreet drilling, but I will grab a spare security latch when they become available again so that I can avoid being stuck for over 9 weeks waiting for parts!

Now that I am familiar with the construction/removal/installation routine, I MIGHT be able to repair the security latch with a superglued alloy 'over sleeve' and a drilled 3mm rod to make the lever head. OR, rip the Dometic Fridge out and buy a less aesthetically pleasing replacement like the McLouis Rental M/Homes have, with a traditional chunky plastic flat handle that screws to the outside of the fridge door with 2 x self tappers from my Spanish box of 220 for €4.45 from the Fereteria! 'Never trust a company that can't spell 'Domestic' ' ... :giggle:

Of course, now the Fridge is fixed, neither Elaine nor I are allowed to/are brave enough to use it, in case the damn thing breaks again ... Limp lettuce, anyone? :unsure:

Steve

Oil the seal faces. It will still seal properly when closed, but there will be less suction when opening the door (same principle as car door seals).

Ref the "Fix Its" ... what might be next to break however ... you never know :)

Back