What did you do to your van today?

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
Hardwiring in, replacement front dash cam, got eight years out of the old one, why do they keep changing those tiny USB type power inputs, grrr ..

Not, what have I done to van today , cos I’m still in bed, Nik has bought me up a cuppa. Monday and yesterday was deep clean, inside and out of Demi. It smells so much sweeter now ? . It’s taken me a couple of nights to get used to this bed . Back in Demi Thursday night st Rutland.
Drunk the tea, if I want a second, I’ll have to get up. Don’t want to KTA out of her generously ??

Fiat Ducato radiator change, cost a shade under £290 for a mechanic to do.
Old rad in a right mess, glad I did not bodge the pin prick leak, as it looks like it may have been bodged a few times before.
Yes, I know, a dirty engine bay.... I am on it like a car bonnet this weekend... honest :)

20190517_165014.jpg20190517_165052.jpg20190517_164912.jpg

Took out bike and other stuff as its going to a garage tomorrow to find out why the light for the auto gears keeps coming on. Hope I get it back straight away otherwise I will have nowhere to sleep.

Wednesday my better half removed the privacy curtains and made and hung new ones
Then she toddled of tothe upholsterers and got material to reupholster the van hoping to do it b4 we head to France ,her talents are unreal imho
I see a Mrs Lairdie business opportunity ?

Annie she won’t calm down ,make teddy’s for the ward,made a dress for my granddaughter,new cushions ,don’t know what I come home to sometimes

Removed the problematic O/S habitation window on the bedouin today (the one no-one can get a replacement from anywhere! -1110long x 420high !! scarcer than hens teeth they are and even if you can get them - remoulded at eeco for about 370 quid!!) after seeing someone else had same issue had replaced it with single flexible 5mm clear perspex sheeting successfully. Went well and no major issues apart from the reinstalling into the metal hinge its a b****r to do.

Anyone else wants to do it:
Simply took all fittings off the old one, sat broken / damaged screen on pre purchased ( you need to order size yourself remembering to add in the rounded corners bottom left and right.)
marked out screw holes using a small drill, then drilled to correct size, you will need to cut down and file up the external fittings as these are too long.

Remove the metal hinge from top off, old window (slides off - or mine did anyway) then using a small amount of pressure and some sticks like s**t in the channel that goes over the perspex, push it onto the new pane of perspex (tight fit so be careful if using a bit of persuasion!!) leave overnight to stick securely

Make sure you collect the small internal rubber cups off inside of old screen, as they need fettling as well. Then just get some smaller self tappers (you may need to snip off ends to ensure they don't go right through) and reinstall. I put small dab of SLS on inside and outside fittings just to help adhesion and fixing. Cost around £40 no bad for a cheaper solution to a big problem, I know its not got the same thermal qualities but who cares!! an extra blanket over another 300 quid wins every time.

got my perspex from :

Plastic Sheets
WANNA™ COMPANY
Order Online or Call 0116 2962938

Well done. I think that’s what’s called, thinking out of the box. If the thermal thing is an issue , a piece of celotex cut to size, pushed into place ie an interference fit,, then covered in material will more than compensate

We’re at the Vintage Glider Rally at Sutton Bank near Thirsk this week. Runs through till 2nd June. Lots of lovely old gliders to see - some are older than our Burstner T-Star ?

Washed the van ,now done a few mods inside and ready for installation of led reverse light sat am ,then polishing
Rv2

Back