What did you do to your van today?

this for the gearbox? It is tricky as the neighbour thinks it is in a good garage (and in the past I have thought that) and I don't want her to feel down about potentially wasted weeks :( (she relies on this camper - used to full-time in it as well for years).
I'm Sure it's the same system🤞

I ripped the engine out, the dashboard, wiring loom and you will notice the brake servo on the passenger side? I changed it to LHD and fitted a turbo engine.

Yes, I worked in Edinburgh for a year and loved it.

If you are referring to changing the oil filter, MMM chief boss mechanic bloke says just buy the whole assembly from Fiat. It is virtually impossible to replace just the filter without incurring leaks. Why, I dunno, I've never had one of those.
If you are referring to the Robotised Gearchange system I can only say I have heard lots of reports about the difficulty of getting them worked on: apparently setting them up can only be done by a Fiat franchised dealer, and a competent one at that, which you have to search for. They have to be connected to the Fiat factory computer and it is an expensive process - I seem to remember £700 for changing the fluid and resetting the clutch system. That's without the cost of fitting a new clutch. When I was looking for a replacement motorhome recently I -let's say - avoided them. I was advised by an independent garage to get a proper torque converter automatic, and he only recommended Mercedes, although someone said that the current Ford Transits have a torque converter - and I believe that VW does now as well - although if that is their DSG gearbox I don't think it has a torque converter. That DSG is lovely, when it works. I had a Golf with it, and it was indeed lovely. I then looked at youtubes of how to service one, and it's a big job, again many hundreds of pounds. The Mercedes on the other hand just needs the ATF draining from the box and torque converter, and a new filter fitted. This is an hour's work because the gbox sump has to be removed (about ten bolts) to change the filter. I have done it many times on MB cars and it really is a DIY job.

Everything out of kilter today, got required parts of air & diesel filters, getting a tad late now to start, I’ll fill derv filter now in ready for tomorrow. Think I’ll remove the bonnet, or as i call it, front mouth, better still, just the RHS vertical which supports the gas strut for ease of access. 😢

IMG_5536.jpeg

Last edited:
You cannae get the staff. While at motor factors I asked for Posh Wiper blades, when I got home, they gave me Bosch 😂 now I cannae wait till it rains to try them out 😁

IMG_5537.jpeg

I put in an extra battery, using the inverter cables. (took the inverter out as we never used it!) It means we now have a battery nearer to the Eberspacher Hydronic, and we can wire it in with shorter supply length. Of course, that is if the Eber hasn't been fried in the near fire last October..

Back