What did you do to your van today?

Back on thread I removed and hoovered all the carpets. They always come out for the summer and back in the winter, although whether it’s worth it this year I don’t know. Carpets’ll probably be back in before we take the van anywhere but our field. However we keep being told we must stick to routine so that’s what I’m doing!

This job started yesterday, fitting an external antenna for the RUT955 router.
Checked a number of times for hidded cables in the roof of the van and then drilled a 38mm hole. Luckily no cables.
Our Roller Team has a fibre glass box. To create a ground plane I used a piece of stainless sheet, drilled a 20mm hole into allow the antennas leads to pass through and tightened the nut to hold the two together.
Then the roof of the van needed a clean and the shine taken off it, the stainless got the angle grinder treatment.
The stainless sheet with the antenna attached was set on a bed of Sikaflex, and before I could finish the sun came out and the Sika got very difficult to finish nicely. Luckily nobody will ever see it.

The parts chosen for this project came on the recommendation of Geeky Philip, see his Youtube video for more info.

img4.jpgimg3.jpgimg2.jpgimg1.jpg

There are very many in the world who would love to have such a privilege.
Not as many as you'd think. Tax havens, arms sales to dodgy regiemes, colonialism, duplicity. And a British Museum stuffed with stolen goods.

Not as many as you'd think. Tax havens, arms sales to dodgy regiemes, colonialism, duplicity. And a British Museum stuffed with stolen goods.

There certainly seem plenty prepared to risk life and limb to come to Britain. Those who do not cherish being British should perhaps consider how life is for many who are not fortunate enough to have such a privilege.

My entire contribution to he can today was putting 4x 5litre boxes of red wine in the garage space! Purchasing them ready for return home.

It is alleged in several publications that a 14 day quarantine is to be required on entry to UK, no details of exactly when. Now that repatriation flights are just about finished it will be relatively easy to quarantine new arrivals to UK, and this will stand the UK in good stead as other countries gradually reduce their lockdowns. For the latest rules see post #1 here.
No dates are set, hope that you make it in time.

I expect to self isolate ourselves on arrival anyway, it is common sense when coming that distance. The quarantine "alleged in publications" involves giving your address to officials in arrival and they can check that quarantine is observed. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/25/two-weeks-quarantine-travelling-uk/. It makes no difference to us if it is imposed or not. I am beginning to feel you are getting at me, since you express "concern" whenever the opportunity arises!I
For my reply to post#1 see post #5.

I expect to self isolate ourselves on arrival anyway, it is common sense when coming that distance. The quarantine "alleged in publications" involves giving your address to officials in arrival and they can check that quarantine is observed. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/25/two-weeks-quarantine-travelling-uk/. It makes no difference to us if it is imposed or not. I am beginning to feel you are getting at me, since you express "concern" whenever the opportunity arises!I
For my reply to post#1 see post #5.

I certainly have no intention of “getting at” you. I do have access to information from one of the few groups that are currently travelling internationally, and have used that information to try to keep anyone still abroad abreast of what’s going on, as with the link to the iata site. Some of the stories I’ve heard of how authorities have imposed rules have not been good. The UK so far has been one of the most relaxed about allowing people in, but there is concern that this may limit their access to other countries as restrictions are inevitably lifted at some time.

I gave the cab a polish with wax. It’s just about right now and looking good. I wonder how many more cleans it will need before it can be used.

Polished my large black roof light, looks amazing but thought the same. WHEN!!!!!

Reactions: 2cv
I’ve been looking at our shower room and toilet roof vents and wondering how to clean them. They are the normal double skinned lift up Heki vents, and they are filthy.
anyway, I decided to have a go at cleaning them.
They actually detach from the roof and come apart quite easily.
lots of soapy water later and they are looking like new again.

before

FCC493A4-D6C9-42DE-9022-A080AE53C1F1.jpeg

After

D40F7703-3488-4DF4-A3D3-CB2488D567B2.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve been looking at our shower room and toilet roof vents and wondering how to clean them. They are the normal double skinned lift up Heki vents, and they are filthy.

View attachment 54260
After

View attachment 54261

Looks good. I hadn’t realised until recently that you could get into them to clean. It does make a big difference.

Looks good. I hadn’t realised until recently that you could get into them to clean. It does make a big difference.
I rinsed mine out in diluted bleach water that brought them up a treat, got rid of 99% of black mould spots.
Fed/proded a j-cloth through and pulled it each way.
Jobs a goodun, hasn’t come back much either so I obviously killed it!!!!

before

View attachment 54260

After

View attachment 54261

How do you get then off?

Back