What did you do to your van today?

Nice to see that Inga-Marie is commemorated. I believe that the police know who murdered her but as so often the evidence is not cast iron. I assume that is in Ballypatrick forest park. Haven’t been round it for donkeys years. Used to be a nice wee touring in the trees site. Our kids used to love playing in the river under the road bridge. Thanks for posting.

Davy

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
well this wasn’t a job i put off as such, i was driving home just take her out for her first run to check everything was ok, coming back it decided to rain put the wipers on they stuck upright got home to the smell of burning wiper motor, what a job removed all the mechanical parts everything was rusted together, so stripped it down to bits, the wiper shaft wouldnt move at all, finally got the shafts out, clean them with WD40 and 400 grit wet/ dry, geased everything fitted it all back together, toying with replacing the motor, but it seems to work fine now, then because i had taken all the wiper grill off decided to fix another washer motor next to the other one as it’s not that powerful, also replaced all the washer pipes,

After that, it's replacing the igniter in the gas hob. Again, I've had the spare for ages.
Well, I finished the toilet bowl replacement. Twice: the first time one of the flush pipe connections was leaking.
Then when I took the hob apart, I decided that it wasn't in a good state. The stainless steel bits were fine. The other bits were badly corroded.

So it was new hob time. A slightly anxious purchase, because although the model number was right, as was the online photo, it was described as having "Piezo Ignition" but luckily, when it arrived it does have electronic, not Piezo, ignition. And the price was good.

Dead easy to fit and plumb in, but it didn't come with the folding aluminium flame guard / heat shield. I had to remove that from the old hob (easy) and polish it up like new (a lot of hard work, even with an electric buffer tool).

All done now, thank goodness.

We went for a ride to Fleetwood in our tin tent, thought that we would look at the Esplanade that folks were talking about. So 77 miles later we arrived, and there were about half a dozen 'vans spread along the curb, still plenty of room though-------------------then it pee'd down. Why is Lancashire coastal rain twice as wet as gentle Derbyshire stuff?. So after a beer and butty ( wat we brung) we set off back on a 77 mile journey to a now equally moist Glossop. The upshot of this is that the 'van is now running as it should after all the silliness in Portugal, this being the first proper test since the work was done and also Fleetwood is just as drab as I remember from my childhood---------------perhaps better when it's dry and the sun is shining

Reactions: 2cv
Tried as i can to get water to go down kitchen wast pipe to gray tank,no mission sink sits full and air locks,take pipes of and all flows well,maybe a pump will work,just canny work out how water will not go down hill and across rear of van to w/tank,bathroom on other side flows in at t joint just fine.:unsure:

Tried as i can to get water to go down kitchen wast pipe to gray tank,no mission sink sits full and air locks,take pipes of and all flows well,maybe a pump will work,just canny work out how water will not go down hill and across rear of van to w/tank,bathroom on other side flows in at t joint just fine.:unsure:
Open the drain tap, close your eyes, hold your nose and suck🤢

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.
K ;)

Same here, my towbar was close to 40kgs so likely added about 60kgs to the back axle, I just don't need to lug that around. (y)

I booked ours a trip away
woohoo.gif

Our first trip since March!

Shame its until late in September but it will be Cheltenham, Cornwall and Glastonbury
hippy.gif

Its having some minor work done next week at the local dealer and then I need to cleanse the fresh water system. Plenty of time to worry about that though :)

Last edited:
Trying to sleep in it! Someone is snoring......
Away for couple of days in Kent sorting my mum's garden, flooring, and taking her to GP.

Washed the van yesterday, filled it with clothes and food, put the bikes on the back ready for a 3 week trip back to the UK to help our daughter move house.
We had a Frequent Traveller account with Eurotunnel with one return trip left on it when the account expired in March, luckily we had an email telling us we could still use the expired trip, so we rang up last week and booked this trip.
Got a box full of 50 masks at the ready.......

Trev, the drainer from both my kitchen and bathroom sinks is slow, however it improves very significantly after I have cleaned the system out with Mr. Muscle drain cleaner.
I tend to do this twice per season................... Also one of those old fashioned rubber plunger things that you can still buy works very well to clear air locks.
Phil

Reactions: Rec
Back