What did you do to your van today?

Made a two piece bed frame that drops between the hab bench seats, mattress also in two parts and the whole thing stashes neatly in the shower cubicle.
Fitted a USB, volt meter, cigarette panel to the leisure battery's..
Made two cup holders next to passenger and drivers seats when swivelled round.
Lined all shelves and cupboards with rubber grip mat.

Not all done today btw.

Made a two piece bed frame that drops between the hab bench seats, mattress also in two parts and the whole thing stashes neatly in the shower cubicle.
Fitted a USB, volt meter, cigarette panel to the leisure battery's..
Made two cup holders next to passenger and drivers seats when swivelled round.
Lined all shelves and cupboards with rubber grip mat.

Not all done today btw.
Pictures needed!

Son who is a plumber bought a couple of new stepladders, one of which has a higher working height than my old wobbly ones. Since we visited the daughter in her 3rd floor apartment as part of our last trip, I was surprised at how dirty the vans roof had become. I christened the ladders today by setting to on the roof cleaning which I expected to take a half hour before coverage of the Tour de France. I am finally lying on the settee having taken substantially longer than expected due to doing the sides and wheels too. Took the best part of 4 hours. I am knackered. This getting old of body but not mind is a right pain (a bit like the one in my back now).

Davy

Replaced the fridge vent surrounds. The person on here that suggested using Butyl sealing tape, I can't thank them enough it was brilliant and easy to use.

Packing the van ready for the trip north ending up at Kelso.

Ia that a specific box for the cassette? or just one that it fits into? (be interested if you have a link? :) )
Search for this box on Amazon. It fits my C260 cassette.
Somine Collapsible Storage Box (52 Liter) Foldable Utility Bin

Box comes with waterproof liner and lid. As you can see, the cassette fits perfectly, but, there is a lip all round the inside at the top that the liner frame slots into, I had to cut 2 small sections back so the widest bit of the cassette( near the filler) fitted. You can see this in the empty box pic.

85DF3CF0-68E7-48D3-B4DC-B62577D95233.jpeg74F07B56-0FBC-434D-BB33-8DC24EB3CF2B.jpeg3FBDC5AD-91DF-4F75-BCF1-B3657F244E56.jpegF9B713B6-ED5E-4C96-97FF-AE447A27772D.jpeg

Yesterday I started a fresh water cleanse and finished it off today.

I filled the tank with the diluted solution yesterday (using my 2 watering cans that we take away with us, so that they got a cleanse too) and drew it through all the pipes. I then left it for a couple of hours. After than I drained half of it into the grey tank and left that overnight. The rest I just drained away to ground. I then refilled with fresh water and drew this through the pipes as well.

I then left that fresh overnight and drained that (and the grey tank) this morning.

Job jobbed!

My very clever other half has done loads of stuff to Mavis, our 2000 Reg Autohomes Windfall since we got her from a private seller off eBay just 4 years ago. As total motorhome newbies, we were lucky when we bought her as we chose her based on how she looked, the layout and because she was in our price range. She has been really reliable and we were lucky in that she was a decent and pretty sound van to start with. She had also quite recently had her clutch and gearbox replaced, so mechanically she was excellent with quite low mileage (40k for a 16-year old van).

After making a few rookie mistakes like pressure washing her on too high a setting and damaging the transfers/decals as well as the white plastic covers on the outside lockers so they ended up a bit pitted/scratched and shrinking all the curtains after sticking them in the the washing machine we starting being a bit more careful.

Over the last 4 years we have added/improved/fixed the following (YouTube is our friend):

Added:

Solar panel
Cruise control
Reversing camera
parking sensors
LED driving lights for during the day - especially in Europe
Electric Windows
Central Locking
Flip-up extension to kitchen/sink worktop
TV & TV bracket
USB charging points as well as an additional 12V charge point
Removeable Fly screen on habitation door

Fixed/replaced:

Faulty alarm
Replaced the squeaky horn with a far more gutsy (louder) one
Replaced the relay/switch so that the leisure battery was charging properly while driving (this was before we added the solar panel)
Replaced all the internal lights with LEDs
Made the fridge run more efficiently by installing two computer fans and replacing the gas burner.
Replaced the standalone (very heavy) table with one which clips onto the side of the van and can be folded down quickly when making the bed.
Replaced all the external (yellowing) seals: there had been water ingress above the cab and it had been untidily repaired with bad mastic. We ripped it all off, cleaned out all the metal channels/seams and put in new shiny white seals, including around all the lockers and habitation door (this was a pretty horrible job - I attach a couple of photos if interested).
P1210862.JPG P1210890.JPG20200828_115802.jpg

We also got rid of the stain on the inside (from the aforementioned water ingress), by replacing the wallpaper in the over cab area with plush blue velour (see pics) which made it a feel warmer/cosier as well as making it look a lot nicer
.P1210885.JPG

We took out the sink unit/bathroom cabinet, cleaned off more horribly-applied mastic and put it back in - in fact we re-did ALL the mastic in the bathroom, including around the toilet and the wall seams and it looks a lot better/fresher.
Replaced all the bathroom mirrors which were chipped/patchy/foxed, with mirrored plexiglass (for additional safety),
Finally, this week, we fixed the de-laminated floor - we had noticed lately, that the floor was getting very "springy" and apparently this is a common problem which can become quite serious. Fixed it last weekend and it's now solid as a rock.

Jobs we've got left to do this week:

Install Electric Windows (including a gadget which automatically closes the windows when you set the alarm if you've forgotten to do it) and
a Central Locking system.

Phew, when you write it all down it shows just how much you can end up doing, even with a decent van, which Mavis most certainly is. Any tips or hints on what else we could do to make her even more epic gratefully received #MightyMavis

Thank you

Lizzy

Lizzyp. What type parking sensors. And what mastic did you use in bathroom. I want to renew my seal near toilet/ shower. To narrow / squashed to fit mastic gun. Brian

What do use as disinfectant please?

Puriclean.

A 400gm tub on Ebay is less than 8 quid and will do 2 complete cleanses...so 2 years worth.

I went out to clean the roof this morning and ended up cleaning it all. Nice ans shiny now
smile.gif

Moved it back from our field where it was moved to to make room on our drive for several builders and plumbers vans. Their work is now complete so the van came all of 100 yards back home!
We‘re off down to Englandshire soon (fingers crossed for no further local travel restrictions) so the van is handy for its “holiday prepping“ now.

Phew, sounds like you’ve almost rebuilt it. I can only think of adding a satellite dish now.......📡
Thanks - most of it has been enhancements really. She was a good van when we got her and now she's even better. We always put a load of stuff we want to watch on a memory stick and watch either a film or another episode of the series we've chosen on our telly before bed. Our 12V telly doesn't make a dent in our battery power which never goes below 99% these days (and anything we use gets nicely topped up by the solar panel during the day). We also got ourselves a rechargeable blutooth speaker for the TV as some of these smaller sets have quite feeble/tinny sound - made a huge difference, and is also great for streaming spotify from our mobile phone for good quality sound when listening to music.

Back