What did you do to your van today?

I don't think the emissions and brake test machines are connected to DVSA.
In essence only the start and finish times are monitored - the assumption being that all the time in between is spent testing and-over fixing.
You may be right. It was at a different garage who told me the emissions test was a bit of a waste of time.
He said he can tell which ones are going to fail as they drive into the workshop, just by looking at the exhaust.
I've certainly noticed that the results are always better than ten times as good as they need to be to pass the test.

Some testers are less than happy with filling their workshop with smoke!
As you say just revving the engine to bounce in and out of the brake rollers gives an indication of likely performance.
All my diesels went straight though on fast pass but I have to say that it's been a while since I've had one tested!
Modern common rail diesels are so well controlled that they are miles below the MoT threshold so I'm not surprised by the comment that testing them is a waste of time.
From this and other posts you may get the impression that my tester doesn't bother too much - but I reckon that he pays attention to safety related issues and is thorough on suspension and corrosion.

Yes, this tester spends a fair bit of time on steering and suspension, structure and stuff. I guess they learn what needs looking at on each model of vehicle.

Quite right about what to look for on each model.
My man got a lift with mechanical shaker under front wheels a few years ago (enables single person testing) and was amazed by the number of small Vauxhalls that this showed up rear suspension bush wear that he'd not been picking up with direct manual manipulation.
This vibration is pretty strong - when I rebuilt my Lotus Elan which legally didn't need a test I asked him to check I'd done "everything up' and it shook a load of brake fluid out of the master cylinder! The cap was brand new and properly done up!
Presumably because the car was so much lighter it moved much more than a modern one.

Rear brake drums of Murky and shoes sent away for relining. Whilst apart I took the opportunity to give the wheel arches a good scrub. Once it’s all dry I’ll touch up the paint work and lubricate the linkages.

Nothing as exciting as previous posters! Filled up ready for Kent tomorrow, but had to fit a flat pack shed in to deliver to mum in law! So bed not currently fixed, but will be once package has gone! Knew it would be useful to have the centre of the bed completely removable. Be trying out our newly swapped single passenger seat ( prev double). Although unhappy with quality ( and talking to supplier) it will give us a better space now we don't want the extra seat.

Since we have missed 2 separate long trips to France this year, I bought 2 wheel covers from bags and covers direct,

Good quality and well made. Fit the wheel very snugly. They do daily discounts of up to 20% if you check their site regularly.

My excuse was that the wheels are not getting their usual 9000 miles per year workout, so made sense to protect the tyres. Further justification (if needed) was we have saved a fortune on not traveling much this year.

Davy

I made one for my van during lockdown as well, but with an after thought i'm going to alter it and have the barrel of the lock at the rear so it cant be drilled out.

Fitted new high level brake light today, should have been easy but no bought new light assembly off E Bay should have been straight plug in but no the design has changed,my old light was in a bad way so scapped that, I had to rewire the new lamp, it did not come with wiring as it should have plugged in, so soldering new wires, and cut into existing cable feed to make connection, all well now, I thought my existing light was led but no it had seven bulbs as does the new one, you live and learn.

We got home from our trip to Norfolk last Friday and today was the first opportunity I found time to wash it. We were away for a month, covering around 1800 miles and it wasn’t too dirty despite following a road sweeper clearing up mud on a rainy road, and a few trips down wet country lanes.
All ready for our next trip to find some sunshine next month.

Took my van in for the MOT today, it passed with no advisories [ 16 years old, ] I did have 2 new front tyres fitted 2 weeks ago and fitted a new high level replacement brake light yesterday, I have travelled 7000 miles since last years MOT in it too. I change the Engine oil and filters every 5000 miles or so each year too.

Regular oil and filter changes keep engines going "forever" especially reasonably modern ones which are made to better tolerances in the first place to meet longterm emissions control.
I had to replace the head gasket on a Passat at 180k miles and it was immaculate inside a just wiped the soot off the head and that was it "decoked" The engine still made its rated bhp at 200k and was going strong when I finally got ride of it at 300k.

Back