What did you do to your van today?

Took moho to Maidens in Ayrshire. Staying a couple of nights on Redgates touring pitch. Nice level, own tap and grey drain. Facilities block closed still ...management are still "thinking about opening". No reduction in tarriff though. Tried our underfloor heating system (to make full use of the EHU). It is amazing how it keeps the chill off. Van is 2008 and dealer said he doubted it was still working. Usually wild camping but when on EHU the underfloor heating is ON from now on. :D:D

Fixed the ladder this morning, the rivets that hold the bracket in place were loose and the hole elongated, I bored out the holes larger and pressed in Avdels/ rivnuts then fixed the bracket back in place with countersunk bolts.20210516_100408.jpg20210516_102120.jpg

Enjoying a pleasant stay at a CCC THS near North Berwick. Only £7 a night. Lots of vans going past the end of the road to pay a fortune to park at Tantallon Campsite.
We have been to that one a few times and had to leave once. :giggle: Our Jess (a Whippet) chewed through her lead and took off through the field to catch the Rabbit she had spotted. She proudly brought it back in her mouth, passing a number of families.There used to be a crotchety old bloke who ran the site and he was not amused. :ROFLMAO:

We also still laugh about the Committee member who brought his pet Ferrets with him. Most of the dogs on the site started howling when they scented them. We had 4 Whippets at the time and it was very noisy in our van as Whippets love to howl like Wolves. We decided to push on North a bit earlier than planned.

Our first outing for ages the other week, and I was so out of practice that I forgot to fold up the hab door step on the way out of our drive (no electric operation here, manual labour involved!).
There was the inevitable crunch, fortunately not too much damage but it was a bas***d to get off as all the bolts were covered in crud and seized. Anyway, once it was off it was fairly easy to bend back into shape on the bench. However, while it was off the van I noticed that there was a switch fitted, with a coil of wire behind it all neatly tied up. When I looked at the new ones online, I discovered that they are all supplied with a switch so that they can be wired to a waring buzzer or light. So the coachbuilders took the cheap route and didn't bother with it (Compass in this case, but I doubt if their successors Elddis are any better).
I got a £1.99 buzzer from Fleabay, all wired up today. When I turn the ignition key there's a noise that even I can't ignore. It's a tiny buzzer, couldn't believe how much noise it makes, just the job.

Our first outing for ages the other week, and I was so out of practice that I forgot to fold up the hab door step on the way out of our drive (no electric operation here, manual labour involved!).
There was the inevitable crunch, fortunately not too much damage but it was a bas***d to get off as all the bolts were covered in crud and seized. Anyway, once it was off it was fairly easy to bend back into shape on the bench. However, while it was off the van I noticed that there was a switch fitted, with a coil of wire behind it all neatly tied up. When I looked at the new ones online, I discovered that they are all supplied with a switch so that they can be wired to a waring buzzer or light. So the coachbuilders took the cheap route and didn't bother with it (Compass in this case, but I doubt if their successors Elddis are any better).
I got a £1.99 buzzer from Fleabay, all wired up today. When I turn the ignition key there's a noise that even I can't ignore. It's a tiny buzzer, couldn't believe how much noise it makes, just the job.
What was the buzzer you used mine is duff.

Yesterday the van’s left rear wheel was hot when we stopped. Suspecting a binding caliper I got it checked out today at Autosafe Clifton near York. Signs on both sides that there had been some binding but now free so cleaned up and it should be good. Can’t recommend the service at Autosafe highly enough, just how a garage should be. Link

Yesterday the van’s left rear wheel was hot when we stopped. Suspecting a binding caliper I got it checked out today at Autosafe Clifton near York. Signs on both sides that there had been some binding but now free so cleaned up and it should be good. Can’t recommend the service at Autosafe highly enough, just how a garage should b
I think sticking calipers will be a common problem experienced by many who have had Van's laid up for some time, especially older Van's and those stored in exposed outdoor places. One to watch as we all start heading out again.
Glad you got yours sorted
K ;)

I think sticking calipers will be a common problem experienced by many who have had Van's laid up for some time, especially older Van's and those stored in exposed outdoor places. One to watch as we all start heading out again.
Glad you got yours sorted
K ;)
This is something where most aftermarket TPMS systems are very handy for. As well as checking pressures they monitor temperatures and you can usually set an alarm if they exceed your set value.

Filled up with water, gas etc.
Driving it over to Runswick Bay campsite after lunch so son and girlfriend can use it tonight and daughter, partner and 2 grand daughters can use it Saturday night.
First time I have allowed anyone to use it without me being with them so will have a nervous couple of days until I pick it up Sunday evening.
Fingers crossed no disasters happen lol.

Came home from the THS at North Berwick. Swapping stuff around ready to get away early on Monday for the OH, Orkney and the two camps at the Drum and Kelso.

Back