Italian Gadabout

We bumped into 4x4man (Kevin and Gwen) yesterday at Montalto Marina, they had actually brought us over some essential medical supplies such as salad cream, bacon,teabags etc and together we have made our way over to Pisa.
We were SO lucky with the weather today, we managed to walk into the old city and have lunch and then back to the campsite in glorious sunshine, but as soon as we got back it bucketed down, and didn’t stop until this evening!
The visit to the old city was fascinating, a bit ‘touristy’ but thoroughly amazing!62B59920-900B-4A81-9780-E13E03736E6E.jpeg6445D5E8-A654-4E06-9270-6708B7AF21B2.jpeg4AA16950-1687-4ED0-9318-BCF7B0464896.jpeg752ADD89-DEF3-4F69-A86E-CB76DDCA392A.jpegFA68706E-9A5D-4C6F-801C-348D9BF3E929.jpeg

We bumped into 4x4man (Kevin and Gwen) yesterday at Montalto Marina, they had actually brought us over some essential medical supplies such as salad cream, bacon,teabags etc and together we have made our way over to Pisa.
We were SO lucky with the weather today, we managed to walk into the old city and have lunch and then back to the campsite in glorious sunshine, but as soon as we got back it bucketed down, and didn’t stop until this evening!
The visit to the old city was fascinating, a bit ‘touristy’ but thoroughly amazing!View attachment 67570View attachment 67571View attachment 67572View attachment 67573View attachment 67574
I see you straightened the tower w hilst you were there. !

Hi Rog

We are visiting Pisa in a few days time as we make our way back up through Italy. Can I ask: did you camp nearby or just stop there in the MH for a few hours?

I have not been but Mrs G has and she said that the prices at lunchtime were astronomical. Did you find any difference compared to other places you have visited?

ta

Hi Rog

We are visiting Pisa in a few days time as we make our way back up through Italy. Can I ask: did you camp nearby or just stop there in the MH for a few hours?

I have not been but Mrs G has and she said that the prices at lunchtime were astronomical. Did you find any difference compared to other places you have visited?

ta
There’s a small but very busy cafe at the arch, shown in Roger’s first picture. It was very busy and not Gordon Blue but was adequate and not too expensive. Once you’re down the other end nearer the tower the prices go bat sh@/ crazy.

Cheers

H

We visited 4 years ago.
Arrived at the Sosta lunchtime
Walked to the centre..had a beer.
Back to the sosta for the night.
Very hot the next day so just rested and stayed a 2nd night.
Following day to Vinci where Leonardo lived.
Worth visiting.
Then to Florence.
Sosta not good but there is an easy bus into the centre

We camped at Camping Village Torre Pendente because it was a simple half mile stroll to the Cathedral complex.

If that is where you are staying, then in spite of your previously mentioned issues, you may like to return again at night, as we did. It's wonderfully lit and felt very magical. Best of all, there was almost nobody else there.👍

We also stayed at Camping Village Torre Pendante, and whilst it’s adequate it was very expensive. They charged us €72 for two nights stay, and with the rain, it was basically a quadmire!
For that price, I expected tarmac and plenty of room, but sadly manoeuvring into a pitch was difficult, because they were trying to cram as many punters in as they could and slipping and sliding about in the mud was positively dangerous.
Kevin and I spent over an hour, trying to help a Dutch couple reverse out from their pitch, using Rhino mats and bits of timber.
It’s probably very nice on a sunny day, but for what they are charging they should at least provide tarmac instead of putting gravel on mud and pretending it’s a firm pitch.

Hi Rog

ta
Prices at lunchtime are astronomical!
Four of us had sandwich type lunch and a small beer and the bill came to €72

• Sad
Reactions: GMJ
The campsite sounds dreadful in the rain, but I won't return as I found Italian driving so poor.

PS: Post updated to thank you again for all the photos and descriptions of your route. It's brought back some great memories. 👍

Last edited:
Florence was well worth the visit, with amazing architecture. Very much a place for ‘monied’ people though. I found it rather sad that the the shops on the medieval bridge Ponte Veccio have been taken over by high end fashion and jewellery outlets, totally out of reach of normal folk, who wouldn’t get past the security guards on the doors.

E2220177-68BE-4340-9A44-2C319681DAAF.jpeg6F523F03-F612-4329-8A1D-8A36E4BA3934.jpeg8B433930-40FB-4394-9136-AE6C06F422CE.jpeg20F7C036-268E-4259-B336-2CB1EA348DB2.jpeg49791D59-0CD8-4BAE-B85D-6C294169EE93.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back