Italian Gadabout

Today we got as far as Laimburg on our quest to find the Brennero Pass into Austria.
We are parked on a Motorway Service Area on a dedicated motorhome park with full services including ehu, all totally free.
Not quite sure how we will get on when we reach the Brenner Pass because we are over the magical 3.5 tonnes and we don’t have a go box. Any tips appreciated.
Tomorrow, with luck and a fair wind, we should reach the Eagles Nest.

Today we got as far as Laimburg on our quest to find the Brennero Pass into Austria.
We are parked on a Motorway Service Area on a dedicated motorhome park with full services including ehu, all totally free.
Not quite sure how we will get on when we reach the Brenner Pass because we are over the magical 3.5 tonnes and we don’t have a go box. Any tips appreciated.
The Eagles Nest will be interesting Rog, look forward to viewing the images.

Don't expect too much if the weather is poor. These days it's just a cafe with a view, and a chunk taken out of the fireplace.

Oh, and remember not to use flash when you go up in the lift. I wasn't very popular because I forgot. 🤣🤣🤣

Set the sat nav to No Tolls Rog and take the B road - B182 through Brenner and the Fern Pass. It shadows the motorway but it a nicer drive. No need for an OBU if you stay off the MWays and toll roads in Austria as you say.

We are off to Berchtesgaden when on our September trip later this year.

News to me Rog and I have used it a number of times and seen lorries and buses/coaches on the road. We are a tag axle to.

Sadly Chris had a panic attack and insisted that we stay legal by getting a go box. As it turned out, the charge for crossing Austria was €24 so not too bad really. We found the Eagles Nest and paid €5 to park and then another €62 for the bus tickets and the elevator, up through the mountain. The bus journey alone was worth the money and very exciting. If you sit on the right hand side on the way up, you get a tremendous view of the surrounding mountains. There doesn’t appear to be a dedicated motorhome park, so we just tucked ourselves away, in a corner, and we were fine.

E83A6BD9-7E68-42CB-8422-5A90F67BB747.jpegDA46D4B7-2945-4281-81E6-13FA31992C9D.jpeg0596DCDA-1655-4052-AC4E-57DC8ADAE1AD.jpegE82CBDC3-43FD-4FAD-BDBB-FF8C4055C297.jpegE7C83B65-D95A-452C-B0C4-5492A217230A.jpeg04C73ED2-CC97-47CF-93B2-B97489DB51DE.jpeg94C7BECD-7FCC-49EF-96EB-18FD1569AE9C.jpeg7058EC9C-6012-4A22-9D59-8317C953DCF0.jpeg

.......... And I bet a humbling experience to be standing at a spot where one of the most evil person of our time, once stood!
I love travelling around Germany, and please forgive me for saying this, but when I finally visited I found that in spite of the magnificent scenery I felt a little ashamed for having gone. Maybe it's me.☹️

We are both very happy that we finally managed to cross Eagles Nest off our bucket list, but it was a mixture of emotions. You soon realise that you are simply part of a very well organised money making machine, but when you see the scenery it’s beyond belief! To stand in the Reception room, where the Nazi elite relaxed, or the breathtaking view they had from the Sun Terrace, I had a strange feeling of contempt that only now is it available to the masses.
We have left Germany now and are having a look around Czech Republic, didn’t realise they still use Crowns instead of Euros.

I wouldn't be too sensitive or ashamed about visiting the Eagles Lair, Kehlsteinhaus. Hitler didn't like the place and never stayed there - it was used to meet and greet visiting dignitaries, known as the D haus, Diplomatic house. As such it is often mistakenly called Hitler's Lair.

His own house was a few miles away, Berghof and that is where he was photographed by Eva Braun with his dogs. The post war Bavarian Government blew it up to prevent it becoming a shrine. That was the true Hitler's Lair where he plotted his demonic schemes.

Kehlsteinhaus is a stunning location and well worth a visit.

Jeremy

I wouldn't be too sensitive or ashamed about visiting the Eagles Lair, Kehlsteinhaus. Hitler didn't like the place and never stayed there - it was used to meet and greet visiting dignitaries, known as the D haus, Diplomatic house. As such it is often mistakenly called Hitler's Lair.

His own house was a few miles away, Berghof and that is where he was photographed by Eva Braun with his dogs. The post war Bavarian Government blew it up to prevent it becoming a shrine. That was the true Hitler's Lair where he plotted his demonic schemes.

Kehlsteinhaus is a stunning location and well worth a visit.

Jeremy
Thank you for that. We have moved on now to Czech Republic so I don’t think we’ll get a chance to visit Kehisteinhaus.

You did visit! Kehlsteinhaus IS the Eagles lair.
(And according to the official gumf, Hitler didn't use the lift .... he was scared it would get a lightning strike!)
Jeremy

We are both very happy that we finally managed to cross Eagles Nest off our bucket list, but it was a mixture of emotions. You soon realise that you are simply part of a very well organised money making machine, but when you see the scenery it’s beyond belief! To stand in the Reception room, where the Nazi elite relaxed, or the breathtaking view they had from the Sun Terrace, I had a strange feeling of contempt that only now is it available to the masses.
We have left Germany now and are having a look around Czech Republic, didn’t realise they still use Crowns instead of Euros.
Safe travelling in the Czech Republic, Rog. I've visited three times and love the place. I hope you do too. 👍

You did visit! Kehlsteinhaus IS the Eagles lair.
(And according to the official gumf, Hitler didn't use the lift .... he was scared it would get a lightning strike!)
Jeremy
I heard he didn’t use the lift because he was afraid the winding gear might be bombed, and he would be stuck in the lift. Either is plausible, but I think he only went there a couple of times. He would be used to the scenery anyway.

I don't know how far you are going into Czechia BUT we drove north from Passau and visited Bayerischer Wald near Neuschonau. It is a tremendous wildlife park with animals in large enclosures in the woods, requiring a fair amount of walking.

We then ventured into the western edge of Czechia, taking country roads through Srni, which seemed to be a centre for wolves. There were plenty of folks heading into the woods with baskets: not taking food to granny but collecting fungi. There was a stretch of cobbled road which was definitely not good for the fillings!

We ended up at an aire which I have recorded as Bodenmais but it doesn't show on Google Maps. It was a cycle/ski centre with free EHU, which came in handy when the temperature fell below freezing.

We used to run a school exchange to Prague and visited Cesky Krumlov, a lovely fortress, and another castle whose name escapes me: it was a long slog uphill, lined with street traders many of whom were selling gorgeous crystal glasses.

Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon, we are staying with friends at Volyne for a few days, and then making our way back slowly through Germany, we would like to stop at Ypres for the Last Post before we catch the ferry.
So we probably won’t have time to tour Czech on this trip but something for the future perhaps.

We then ventured into the western edge of Czechia, ,.................. another castle whose name escapes me: it was a long slog uphill, lined with street traders many of whom were selling gorgeous crystal glasses.

Gordon
That brief description reminds me of Hrad Křivoklát, which we thought to be a lovely little castle and a pleasant drive through softer hills ?

Avoid the Bridge and take the old road..
No tolls and not difficult
Near Italy a lovely car park at Gschnitz
Parkplatz Innsbrucker Hütte

Thanks for that Gordon, we are staying with friends at Volyne for a few days, and then making our way back slowly through Germany, we would like to stop at Ypres for the Last Post before we catch the ferry.
So we probably won’t have time to tour Czech on this trip but something for the future perhaps.

If you stop at Ypres Rog just check where the evening ceremony is now as I think they are doing renovation work on the Mening Gate at the mo.

If you are planning to visit Brno, then this campsite is nearby. They have an electric boat that takes you to the railway station to get into the city. We stopped there on our CR trip a few years ago and t was a very nice place to stay indeed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back