The nightmare continues.......

Just picked up on this thread Roger.

Got to be a big worry for the pair of you but at least you aren’t on your post retirement grand tour, small comfort I know. As ever the folk on here are coming forward with the usual mix of advice and humour and true concern. You appear to have a good mechanic on your side at least and my money is on the relay fault. Low voltages and the slightest hint of oxidisation on contacts is toxic mix. The van has been stood for a while and if relay contacts aren’t operated often enough they can’t do the wee bit of self cleaning that movement gives.

Wishing you well.

Cheers

H

Just picked up on this thread Roger.

Got to be a big worry for the pair of you but at least you aren’t on your post retirement grand tour, small comfort I know. As ever the folk on here are coming forward with the usual mix of advice and humour and true concern. You appear to have a good mechanic on your side at least and my money is on the relay fault. Low voltages and the slightest hint of oxidisation on contacts is toxic mix. The van has been stood for a while and if relay contacts aren’t operated often enough they can’t do the wee bit of self cleaning that movement gives.

Wishing you well.

Cheers

H
Thanks for your input, I’m inclined to think that the problem is due to the long time she has been stood around. I will pass your comments on, and see what the boys say. Cheers Harold.

Spoke with the mechanic on Friday and gave him a written list of all your suggestions. He is fairly convinced that the problem could be the wiring from the gear lever. The diagnostic tool is registering every gear except neutral and reverse, the entire right hand side of the gear select. May just be a damaged wire, so worse case scenario could just be a new gear lever. Work to be resumed tomorrrow, while she is a non runner, I have also asked him to remove the EGR valve, so that I can put it in an ultrasonic cleaner, which will give me peace of mind for our next trips away.
Not sure how welcome we will be in the foreign when the restrictions are lifted, so thought it might be nice to tour the Outer Hebrides if ‘Nicola’ unlocks Scotland before the winter.
Happy to wait a few months before venturing into the foreign.

Best of luck with the repair work Roger.

Always thought that running these things is s but like running a yacht.

Cheers

H

France is open today Rog, get the car and the tent out 👍

France is open today Rog, get the car and the tent out 👍
Might just give that a miss Neil, thanks anyway.
Not totally convinced about the reception waiting for us across the water, just at this moment in time.
Thought we might wait for Nicola to give the green light, and then have a stab at the Outer Hebrides.

Might just give that a miss Neil, thanks anyway.
Not totally convinced about the reception waiting for us across the water, just at this moment in time.
Thought we might wait for Nicola to give the green light, and then have a stab at the Outer Hebrides.
No problems in France, people are welcoming and justly proud of their country. There are some travelling through France at the moment and they say the locals are very friendly.

Good News today!
As suspected, it turned out to be the gearstick. I shall be the proud owner of a new gearstick and sender unit on Thursday , It should be fitted, all being well on Friday morning, and the van MOTd Friday afternoon. There IS a God!
Thanks for keeping me smiling through it all folks! 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back