We have gone to Spain 2020

You usually can't go wrong, parking by the Bullring at most Spanish towns, if you can't find anywhere else..
Ditto, graveyards and football clubs..
Unless there's a match or a funeral, of course.

We have just arrived at Rincon del Victoria parked on the beach, lovely day 21 dgs calm sea, just driven down the mountains from Antiquera where we spent a few days, super scenic drive down. Called it at the Dolmen ancient burial grounds interesting to see and got close to the man face mountain or that is what we call it lol.

IMG_20200308_110605.jpgIMG_20200308_110717.jpgIMG_20200308_110932_BURST001_COVER.jpgIMG_20200308_110821.jpgIMG_20200308_110845.jpgIMG_20200308_131813.jpgIMG_20200308_131827.jpgIMG_20200308_110407.jpgIMG_20200308_110932_BURST002.jpgIMG_20200308_110939.jpgIMG_20200308_110533.jpgIMG_20200308_131847.jpg

Today we have moved back to the beach spot at Benalmadena, close to the shops and bars , we will probably have a couple of day here
IMG-20200308-WA0003.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a question, I, we my new wife and I have been motorhoming for about twelve years, this has found us in lowland Scotland, the highlands of Scotland pretty much all of France, Italy Germany and Austria. We have come down to southern Spain for some warm sunshine and Spanish culture. The sun is here in abundance but what a scruffy, dirty, unloved country this is. It’s not motorhome friendly, the sites are few and far between, if they actually exist they are filthy, toilets unusable, clean water and grey disposal dodgy at best. Litter is everywhere you look. Why do people come here? Am I missing something?

I have a question, I, we my new wife and I have been motorhoming for about twelve years, this has found us in lowland Scotland, the highlands of Scotland pretty much all of France, Italy Germany and Austria. We have come down to southern Spain for some warm sunshine and Spanish culture. The sun is here in abundance but what a scruffy, dirty, unloved country this is. It’s not motorhome friendly, the sites are few and far between, if they actually exist they are filthy, toilets unusable, clean water and grey disposal dodgy at best. Litter is everywhere you look. Why do people come here? Am I missing something?
Winter sunshine is probably the main reason , we have used a couple of sites down here and can't fault them very clean toilets and showers fresh water and only 10 euro ish a night , as for when you are wilding and free stopover we expect nothing other than a stopover anything else is a bonus , I know it has a litter problem but so has most of Europe . Take a step back and remember you are camping in another country , it must be better than sat at home watching the rain lash against the windows

Last edited:
Seems to me that the Costa Del Sol is more tolerant to motorhomes, might have to stop longer here spending my pennies as opposed to rushing up to the Costa Blanca were it seems that they are wanting to persecute them.

Shame really as I know many of good restaurants who doing a cracking Menu Del Dai, on the urburnisation were I spend a lot of time when I'm not motorhoming they have a Tuesday dinner club and we try out many different restaurants, shame really as you can enjoy 3 course meals for €10. Thank goodness I can park my motorhome on the urburnisation when I eventually go up that way.

Last edited:
Whilst I get the sunshine bit, it is the shabby, dirty unloved bit that you do not get in France or Germany. Even free aires in France are in the most part fabulous. The French are tolerant, welcoming and totally embracing about camping cars. Aires are cared for and generally places I feel actually welcome to stay.

I must admit it is a different experience than using the aires in France , but it is one of those things were you have just got to think about were you want to go in Spain and if possible keep away from the popular aires , an hour ago we was sat outside a bar having a drink in the warm sunshine , then 5 minutes walk back to our van which is only 50 mtr away from the sea on a large car park with only us on it .I think most people on this site would give their right hand to be here at present

Ok , I guess that it’s horses for courses, but as much as I love sunshine I won’t be coming back. The difference between Spain and France is immeasurable. Architecture, cleanliness, people, food, and the feeling of being accepted and welcome. the French are a proud people and well justified too.

Whilst I get the sunshine bit, it is the shabby, dirty unloved bit that you do not get in France or Germany. Even free aires in France are in the most part fabulous. The French are tolerant, welcoming and totally embracing about camping cars. Aires are cared for and generally places I feel actually welcome to stay.

Sorry Bruce h, I don't understand the point you're making. It IS about the weather. You've lost me on the "dirty, shabby, unloved" bit. All I can say, is I'm loving every minute I'm out of the cold and wet of grey UK.
I was warned about parking in a restricted area, the signs were big enough. If I get a fine, my fault. The same thing would happen in France.
I agree that " for the most part", Aires in France are pretty good, although I've driven on from some grotty ones, I think " Fabulous" is over egging it.
Still everyone to their own.

You need to spend some time researching Spain. We, too, have seen the bad side but just go the extra mile and you will find better campsites and beautiful scenery. We are on a campsite in the mountains on the Alicante/Murcia border and it is probably the best campsite I have ever stayed on. The weather is sunny. The local town is beautiful with welcoming people. I think they call it "The Real Spain".

Wow spent the afternoon in Puerto Banus today, cannot believe how quite it was, we was going to go yesterday, but I had a feeling in would be hectic with it been Sunday. Had a lovely three course Italian meal there for 16 euros each including a drink on Millionaires row, or in my case 10 Bob millionaires club. Not as many yachts on there berths at the end of the marina, quite a few gaps. Can't say I'm impressed with this year's fashion in the designer shops, some awful looking outfits, thank goodness for Primark. Oh the restaurant was called Avmore e Fantasia, bargain at €16 each for Menu del Dai. Recommend the Hake dish.

IMG_20200309_152425.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_153604.jpg
    IMG_20200309_153604.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200309_153810.jpg
    IMG_20200309_153810.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200309_155455.jpg
    IMG_20200309_155455.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200309_160843.jpg
    IMG_20200309_160843.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200309_163124.jpg
    IMG_20200309_163124.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200309_150841.jpg
    IMG_20200309_150841.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200309_150431.jpg
    IMG_20200309_150431.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200309_150413.jpg
    IMG_20200309_150413.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200309_163737.jpg
    IMG_20200309_163737.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sorry Bruce h, I don't understand the point you're making. It IS about the weather. You've lost me on the "dirty, shabby, unloved" bit. All I can say, is I'm loving every minute I'm out of the cold and wet of grey UK.
I was warned about parking in a restricted area, the signs were big enough. If I get a fine, my fault. The same thing would happen in France.
I agree that " for the most part", Aires in France are pretty good, although I've driven on from some grotty ones, I think " Fabulous" is over egging it.
Still everyone to their own.
The point is quite simple, I could fly to dozens of destinations and stay in a villa or hotel and be pretty much guaranteed sunshine. For us the beauty of the motor home is the freedom to find the sun and the associated surroundings being clean, tidy, welcoming. In France with a bit of research that is entirely possible. Park4night night has literally thousands of places and so many are above expectations. There is generally very little litter beside the roads and most villages look well kept and not like Vietnamese shanty towns. We have driven from Seville across to east of Cordoba today and seen literally thousands of tonnes of glass and plastic bottles in the roadside verges, fly tipping outside every town and village and dozens of derelict buildings. Tried 3 “Aires” and left all but the last in disgust. Rubbish and human faeces , taps with no water and vandalised toilets. Scenery is stunning, if you like olive trees then it’s absolutely heaven but it’s not motorhome friendly. Take Alcaudete for example, one parking place on a steep slope, no water unless you walk a mile to the police station for a key, blocked grey water emptying and streets so steep and narrow that one parked lorry or van and your stuck.

I must admit it is a different experience than using the aires in France , but it is one of those things were you have just got to think about were you want to go in Spain and if

possible keep away from the popular aires ,

an hour ago we was sat outside a bar having a drink in the warm sunshine , then 5 minutes walk back to our van which is only 50 mtr away from the sea on a large car park with only us on it .I think most people on this site would give their right hand to be here at present
Weekends especially, the locals need to go to the beaches, in good weather... Even more so, because of the recent foul weather, they've had.

Last edited:
The point is quite simple, I could fly to dozens of destinations and stay in a villa or hotel and be pretty much guaranteed sunshine. For us the beauty of the motor home is the freedom to find the sun and the associated surroundings being clean, tidy, welcoming. In France with a bit of research that is entirely possible. Park4night night has literally thousands of places and so many are above expectations. There is generally very little litter beside the roads and most villages look well kept and not like Vietnamese shanty towns. We have driven from Seville across to east of Cordoba today and seen literally thousands of tonnes of glass and plastic bottles in the roadside verges, fly tipping outside every town and village and dozens of derelict buildings. Tried 3 “Aires” and left all but the last in disgust. Rubbish and human faeces , taps with no water and vandalised toilets. Scenery is stunning, if you like olive trees then it’s absolutely heaven but it’s not motorhome friendly. Take Alcaudete for example, one parking place on a steep slope, no water unless you walk a mile to the police station for a key, blocked grey water emptying and streets so steep and narrow that one parked lorry or van and your stuck.
I'm so sorry your holiday/trip has been blighted by your experiences. On neither journey into Spain have I come across anything you have described, with the exception of narrow roads, surly part of the attraction of fortified towns. Maybe I've been fortunate. I don't know what else I could add, that might not be taken as giving offence. Because none is intended. This will be my last comment on this topic.

Last edited:
We’ve not had the rubbish experience of Bruce Almeriamar, Cabo de Gata, Aguilas to name but a few amazing!!!
Perhaps Bruce should try northern Spain.
We’re doing the Algarve this year.
😀😀

whilst we love France and how welcoming they are towards motorhomes, we are currently traveling down Spain and will be in Altea later this morning one of our favourite parts of Spain as it is a lovely place which is very clean with some great restaurants and the old town is absolutely stunning as are the views from the old town,
And the campsite we will be starting off at is kept spotless. You really must be finding the wrong parts of Spain

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back