What did you do to your van today?

I agree that mist is the way to go with extinguishers - if you use it the clearing up should be easier.
Mind you if you're not quick using it you may not need to clean up anyway 😀
Are Water Mist good for any type of fire?
I know you can get different extingushers for different types of fires, but how many people are in a position to remember just which one to use when that critical moment happens?? The most universal is best (whatever that type may be?!)

I always thought powder was the most universal, that's what I have in the van and several dotted around my workshop. Powder being best for most things liquid and electrical fires.

Last edited:
After replacing all the smoke alarms in the house with new ones featuring rechargable Lithium batteries, twas time to fit new devices in the new Motorhome yesterday :)

First was the CO detector. Understand these are meant to be fitted fairly low down, so chose a place that is also fairly close to the fire and fridge (hope it is not TOO close?)
View attachment 56634
This has a non-replaceable 7-year battery. I hope it does not go the way of the last non-replaceable battery CO detector I bought? Alarm went off falsely (keep going even when I took the detector outside in fresh air and couldn't stop it - in the end had to take a hammer to it to silence it, so no chance of sending that back for a refund!)

Next was the Smoke Alarm. Just used the same place as the old one. Fairly close to the sleeping area.
Another one with a fixed non-replaceable battery - this one is a 10-year battery.
View attachment 56635
Did a test and it is extremely loud! Could be heard in the house as well which could be handy :)
I’m pretty sure carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, so the detector should be fitted at about head height around 1 to 3 metres away from any source of ignition.
The risk where yours is fitted is that the whole room could be full of CO before it reaches the detector to set it off.
We have one in the main living area near the ceiling between the fridge and the heater, and one in the bedroom.

Mist is good for anything including fat and electricity.

I'm waiting till they bring out 10 year life model in small size.
Usual disclaimer about affiliation

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure carbon monoxide is slightly lighter than air, so the detector should be fitted at about head height around 1 to 3 metres away from any source of ignition.
The risk where yours is fitted is that the whole room could be full of CO before it reaches the detector to set it off.
We have one in the main living area near the ceiling between the fridge and the heater, and one in the bedroom.
Here's me thinking I have put mine in the wrong position being 300mm from the ceiling but almost sure I read the instructions correctly before fitting.:geek:

Ours was fitted highest up possible and as far from the fuel source as possible in our van too.

When a log burner was installed at home the dealer used identical logic for the reasons given by Snapster.

Nieghbour has recently had carbon monoxide / smoke alarms fitted by the fire brigade and both fitted on ceiling a metre from the walls and corners.
Checked the instruction manual for mine, same units in motorhome and house and ideally centre of room on ceiling away from ‘dead’ air positions, corner of rooms etc.

Guess I may need to reposition?
I thought one key point of a CO detector in a motorhome was to detect gas leaks (as opposed to unburnt gasses)? And gas lockers have drop out points at the bottom as gas is heavier than air and so drops.

Murky is fully charged, fuelled and watered. Most of the food packed, but still need to pack winter woollies. We have wellies on board, but would bringing a boat be to much? North west Wales in the morning.

I thought one key point of a CO detector in a motorhome was to detect gas leaks (as opposed to unburnt gasses)? And gas lockers have drop out points at the bottom as gas is heavier than air and so drops.
Carbon dioxide is heavier than air, but carbon monoxide is lighter than air. Propane and Butane are much heavier than air.

CO detector will only detect CO. Your right about propane and butane being heavier than air, but you will need a combustible gas detector to detect them.

Nieghbour has recently had carbon monoxide / smoke alarms fitted by the fire brigade and both fitted on ceiling a metre from the walls and corners.
Checked the instruction manual for mine, same units in motorhome and house and ideally centre of room on ceiling away from ‘dead’ air positions, corner of rooms etc.

That’s where the one on my van is fitted.

Yesterday the van warned “brake fault” with “stop” red light. I checked around and found nothing, fluid level looked good. RAC came within half an hour and found some fault codes relating to throttle position sensor. Looked around and found nothing else and also checked fluid level.
Today at a nearby garage fault codes checked and sensors tested. Turns our the fluid level was slightly down, so when checked yesterday perhaps the van was not quite level. Simple fix thankfully.

After noticing the lack of storage for bulky stuff in the Moho after our self build transit Jumbo...
And having a unused rear scooter rack at the back...

I found a fiamma storage box at a great price on local Facebook for sale page...
Picked it up an had bonus weekend away into the bargain ;-)

Fitted it in a quiet moment and found it covered the rear lights (suspected it would)
Searched around for a decent trailer board (one with decent sized rear lights rather than the usual piffly little square ones)
Couldn't find anything that suited SO ended up with individual lights and some unistrut to mount them on.... (courtesy of work ;-))
That sorted decided to crack on and fit the wireless reversing camera I'd bought a couple of weeks back....
Display stuck to windscreen and plugged into cigar lighter socket...
Mounted camera and wired it in.... No reversing lights fab,
Fuse checked and OK.... Reversing light switch must be up the Duff.

There will be a special place reserved for whoever at fiat decided to mount it in a position that requires a scrawny orangutan with unusually long fingers to get at....
Air filter and hoses out, clutch slave cylinder and mounting bracket removed before its possible to get at...

Anyway all done now and working ;-)20200925_150018.jpg20200925_150054.jpg

Cleaned inside and out, and completely emptied van.

Most importantly, removed the toilet roll as I hear from all and sundry that we may need it. 🤣🤣🤣

Not so much did TO but did IN my Van ...

Excluding the wee 5 mile drive to Keslo for the Forum Meet, last night was my first 'big' trip away in the new Motorhome :)
250 Mile round trip for an overnighter in the Yorkshire Dales at High Laning Campsite in Dent
View out the window this morning was quite nice.
1601060984693.png

Back