What did you do to your van today?

More about what I did under the coach today. Whilst at Littleborough tooth pulling fairies got in the gearbox. The gearbox had been rebuilt using another donor box from the Netherlands collected from the Czech Republic. Donā€™t ask! Not the best mix of parts, but should have done a few tens of thousand miles.
On the way home, odd noises were heard but drove ok. Fearing the worst I purchased a 1996 box with two hundred thousand miles on it. Just as well. Draining the oil I found three teeth the fairies pulled. So today I swapped the gearbox. Iā€™m too old for this sort of stuff.

964F969C-0D78-429B-B8EE-AA8FB50A46DA.jpegC45FA01B-ABEA-4857-AB61-D353A2FA8F57.jpeg

More about what I did under the coach today. Whilst at Littleborough tooth pulling fairies got in the gearbox. The gearbox had been rebuilt using another donor box from the Netherlands collected from the Czech Republic. Donā€™t ask! Not the best mix of parts, but should have done a few tens of thousand miles.
On the way home, odd noises were heard but drove ok. Fearing the worst I purchased a 1996 box with two hundred thousand miles on it. Just as well. Draining the oil I found three teeth the fairies pulled. So today I swapped the gearbox. Iā€™m too old for this sort of stuff.

View attachment 59582View attachment 59583
That's a small gearbox for the size of wagon. Mind you, Benz made it, so it's going to be pretty good from the start.

its a trans jack with a 12" lifting plate with a weighty hunk of MB quality sat on it.šŸ‘
The jack is rubbish. It won't go low enough, so the box has to be led on it's side to get it under the body. Then when you upright the gearbox without dropping it on yourself it won't go high enough to reach the clutch. So you have to lower the engine to meet it. When I was young and stupid I could wriggle under with one on my chest. Then using my arms and knees lift it into place. The ramps I made so that they were the tallest I could use without hitting the body.

Taxed the old girl from 20 months of SORN. She's done 3 miles in that time (to MOT). Diesel in tank even older but no problems. Now full of BP regular. Took her for a ride out and checked all gas appliances and 12v stuff all working. Stopped at Caravan shop near Birtley to buy toilet and other cleaning fluids as my store of them have been lost during our house movešŸ™„
It was great to drive her again and we are looking forward to getting away in her again soon... builders are still on with drive and patio at the new gaff but should be finished next week šŸ¤ž
K ;)

Taxed the old girl from 20 months of SORN. She's done 3 miles in that time (to MOT). Diesel in tank even older but no problems. Now full of BP regular. Took her for a ride out and checked all gas appliances and 12v stuff all working. Stopped at Caravan shop near Birtley to buy toilet and other cleaning fluids as my store of them have been lost during our house movešŸ™„
It was great to drive her again and we are looking forward to getting away in her again soon... builders are still on with drive and patio at the new gaff but should be finished next week šŸ¤ž
K ;)
Use bio wash tabs in the loo, never the dreaded chems.

Ready for our little trip out starting tomorrow I cleaned all the windows and the black plastic. Not quite up to Gordon the Laird standard but looking pretty good for a ten year old.

Finished fitting the reversing camera, panelled behind the seating area, made & fitted some brackets to stow the legs from the single temporary bed, & fitted the CB Ariel....

• Well Done
Reactions: 2cv
Filled it with water, food and booze ready for a couple of nights away in one of our favourite places - Findhorn. Itā€™ll be interesting to see how their new motorhome stopover functions.
Enjoy and keep us up to date please tony
Iā€™m in the cotswalds the noooooo

Use bio wash tabs in the loo, never the dreaded chems.
Funny you should day that Trevor as I found bio washing fluid in the van and then remembered I had started using it instead of Elsan when we last traveled. Duh! I now think I didn't actually lose anything in the move...
The stuff I bought is the green stuff so is not the dreaded blue stuff.
It's like learning all these things again it's been so long.
K ;)

• Hugs
Reactions: Rec
Enjoy and keep us up to date please tony
Iā€™m in the cotswalds the noooooo
Enjoy your trip Gordon. Hopefully weā€™ll be down that way at the end of the month on our way to Guernsey if they still let us in as the ā€œdeltaā€ variant is threatening to derail things again. Will report back from Findhorn.

Been fancying a dashboard table thingy for a while, but they cost 60quid....
So I made oneIMG_20210607_193732.jpg

Just needs painting now, then I have an Iveco badge to put on the front before I fit it permanently...IMG_20210607_193742.jpg

Been fancying a dashboard table thingy for a while, but they cost 60quid....
So I made oneView attachment 59607

Just needs painting now, then I have an Iveco badge to put on the front before I fit it permanently...View attachment 59608
The Mercedes 608 mk1 had a flat dashboard, so that was good for a table. The down side was trying to eat a ready cooked chicken whilst driving down the motorway made the steering wheel almost impossible to hold! If you are planning on doing this, remember to clean the steering wheel first as itā€™s a hygiene risk.

Back