What did you do to your van today?

Took the van down a scrap yard I know and had it weighed.It had a full tank of diesel,about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water,food and clothing in weighed 3.1 tons leaving me with 400kg.So with the two of us in down to 200kg in hand.I am was quite pleased. It weighed 1640kg front axle and 1540kg rear axle.Its the first time I’ve had it weighed since a built it eight and a half years ago .

Took the van down a scrap yard I know and had it weighed.It had a full tank of diesel,about 1/3 of a tank of fresh water,food and clothing in weighed 3.1 tons leaving me with 400kg.So with the two of us in down to 200kg in hand.I am was quite pleased. It weighed 1640kg front axle and 1540kg rear axle.Its the first time I’ve had it weighed since a built it eight and a half years ago .
Enough left for liquid refreshment then.😂

Following a tip I got from another site to prevent the back of the cab carpet from crumbling.
Today in the sunshine I painted two coats of latex on the back of the carpet and really pleased with the initial result.

This morning I...

- Soldered a new fuse holder into the TV circuit as the other one had broken and wouldn't hold the fuse anymore.

- Washed the outside and inside of 3 of the roof windows but then it rained before I could do the last one.

- Rigged a strap up to hold our mattress topper in place. I had previously sewed a couple of straps - one on each top corner - to try and stop it slipping, which worked to a point. Now I have linked them under the mattress with a ratchet strap, so they are tight to the mattress. Hopefully that should stop it slipping.

So, I got my fridge fitted a coupla days ago
IMG_20210703_211842.jpgunfortunately, it would appear my inverter is not up to the job. Soon as my fridge turns on, the inverter gets red hot & the fan kicks in. Fans cut off when it cools down but after a short while the overload alarm comes on & the inverter cuts out.😕
More expense now, going to get a bigger inverter, think I should have just got a bigger one to begin with....IMG_20210704_130958.jpgIMG_20210704_131008.jpgin other news, I also got my wind out awning fitted.👍😏
Hopefully, once I get my graphics fitted I will be able to get my logbook changed ( not holdi ng my breath, but I'll try again anyway....)

Funny thing with the Inverter. I would have thought it would have just not started - unless it is in some kind of constant retry mode?

Simple addition made in the entertainment area .... got an Amazon Echo Dot and bought a wall-mount for it. Hole under cupboard to route the power cable and now got it secure and usable all the time :)
1625427053779.png

Not sure, don't know much about them but it obviously isn't big enough. Only thing I'm running is the fridge.

You know at first I was impressed but now you mention it really it is plain daft, well unless you did leave something up there as you mention, mind you its a long way to go back to look for something, never mind the further 8 times, wonder if he ever did find it?
I wonder what the record it? probably a couple of hundred times by a Sherpa whose name no one knows :)

Bought a newly released Texenergy Infinite Air 18 Wind Turbine designed by ex UK special forces guy to compliment my solar as it charges at night as well as day, also bought a Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC to store the power, you can also charge phones or tablets direct from it, there is also a Sherpa 100PD and both deliver and can accept 60w through the PD port, both charge from solar as well, they charge my iPad Pro 12.9 at 35w

This guy has climbed Everest 10 times, these are superbly designed bits of kits that are used by professionals where power can be an issue.

Mine arrives from Singapore on Thursday via FedEx so can update then.

Field trials using the Goal Zero Sherpa 100AC (the 100AC has an inverter and comprehensive display showing data), and the 100PD which is a lighter version but same power capabilities, just less ports and no inverter and basic display but £100 cheaper.

Now available here but beware of import duties, I will know Thursday what these are if any https://www.texenergy.com/products/ininfinite-air-18-portable-wind-turbine

Hope this may help someone looking for alternative power, although you can charge direct from it, it is useful to store the power in some way.

It will be interesting to see if the Infinite Air 18 Portable Wind Turbine provides a useful output, Scotty. The advertised output is 18V, 1.5A (27W) in a 40mph wind (which, incidentally, is defined as Gale Force 8 by The Royal Meteorological Society). Generally wind turbine output drops dramatically with lighter winds and I see that a minimum wind speed of 15mph (Moderate Breeze, Force 4) is specified for this product. Generally power output is proportional to the cube of the wind speed so reducing wind speed from 40mph to 15mph is likely to reduce power output from 27W to something like 1.5W, though the voltage at this point may well be unusable.
Power and voltage output versus wind speed graphs would be useful!
I hope you let us know how you get on with it.

Colin :):):)

I wonder what the record it? probably a couple of hundred times by a Sherpa whose name no one knows :)

Apparently Nepali climber Kami Rita Sherpa has scaled Mount Everest 25 times.
Kenton Cool (the guy presenting the first video posted by Scotty above) has summited Everest 15 times.
I've yet to start training so I may be gone for some time...............

Fitted four new boots but no money left for new panties.20210706_132853.jpg

It will be interesting to see if the Infinite Air 18 Portable Wind Turbine provides a useful output, Scotty. The advertised output is 18V, 1.5A (27W) in a 40mph wind (which, incidentally, is defined as Gale Force 8 by The Royal Meteorological Society). Generally wind turbine output drops dramatically with lighter winds and I see that a minimum wind speed of 15mph (Moderate Breeze, Force 4) is specified for this product. Generally power output is proportional to the cube of the wind speed so reducing wind speed from 40mph to 15mph is likely to reduce power output from 27W to something like 1.5W, though the voltage at this point may well be unusable.
Power and voltage output versus wind speed graphs would be useful!
I hope you let us know how you get on with it.

Low wind speed = low voltage (ie not enough to be higher than the battery voltage level).

Unlike solar power, the volts AND amps rise at higher speeds. This is a basic fact for ALL wind turbines. Either that bloke has been conned by the makers or he is getting paid a lot of money to fund his next ascent somewhere.

My wind turbine (a Rutland 504) was rated at 80 watts. That was rubbish as well. Possibly in a test chamber but not in the real world.

Back