What did you do to your van today?

Low wind speed = low voltage (ie not enough to be higher than the battery voltage level).

Unlike solar power, the volts AND amps rise at higher speeds. This is a basic fact for ALL wind turbines. Either that bloke has been conned by the makers or he is getting paid a lot of money to fund his next ascent somewhere.

My wind turbine (a Rutland 504) was rated at 80 watts. That was rubbish as well. Possibly in a test chamber but not in the real world.

A further complication is the effect of height above ground on wind speed.
The Meteorological Office measure wind speed at a height of 10m, whereas the height of the axle of the Texenergy Infinite Air 18 Wind Turbine is about 1m.
The wind speed over land decreases dramatically as one approaches the ground, mainly due to friction but also due to other effects, for example turbulence. The magnitude of the decrease depends on the 'roughness' of the surface, with smooth open sea having the lowest practical roughness. Fields, slopes and hedges are really not good news!
I'd expect a wind of 40mph measured at 10m to be more like 4mph at 1m on a typical inland surface (I've assumed a log relationship, but a typical power relationship gives a similar figure).
The Texenergy Infinite Air 18 Wind Turbine is likely to need an uncomfortably strong wind to generate maximum output, but Scotty's practical experience of the device is what is really needed here.

Colin :):):)

Next stage ,ordered new shockers for an ,collecting tomorrow ,new tyres turn o the year ,
Black circles 16 inch 225 x 70 4 number for just under £700 fitted in the village which was a bonus.

OK for off roading but crap on the tar, had them on my Ford Ranger found better all rounders but that was a pickup.

Hi Gordon did you order standard or uprated shocks, front or rear or both? I was thinking of some uprated shocks for the rear.
Hi Eric Just the rear just now ,heavier than standard ,then thinking on replacing front struts and springs

OK for off roading but crap on the tar, had them on my Ford Ranger found better all rounders but that was a pickup.
Sorry to have to disagree with you Scotia about bf Goodrich on tarmac I’ve found them very good as I drive quite hard .bit noisy at about 40 mph but just the same as my last tyres at 70mph .

Sorry to have to disagree with you Scotia about bf Goodrich on tarmac I’ve found them very good as I drive quite hard .bit noisy at about 40 mph but just the same as my last tyres at 70mph .
I will hit more than 70 going for morning rolls.😂

I also found them to be especially crap in the wet. Only my opinion though.

The game keepers on the estate at the back of us seem to favour them but they spend more time off road than on the tar.

Back