What did you do to your van today?

All the rear lights and fog lights renewed. Just have to respray the paintwork.
Are you planning to do the whole body or just specific areas?
A forum member - fijit - painted his Autotrail Motorhome and used the roller method. Painted it a darkish green colour, so very from the original factory look.
I saw it in Stratford a couple of years ago and thought it looked brilliant :)

Are you planning to do the whole body or just specific areas?
A forum member - fijit - painted his Autotrail Motorhome and used the roller method. Painted it a darkish green colour, so very from the original factory look.
I saw it in Stratford a couple of years ago and thought it looked brilliant :)
Just gun metal to the bumper and side skirts as it was .

But we’re considering spraying the whole thing if we can decide on what base colour to spay it.
And we’re have to do one side at a time..
Still looking at the new Moho colours.

But we’re considering spraying the whole thing if we can decide on what base colour to spay it.
That would be interesting to see.
I have some crazing on one side on the skirting gel coat and will probably repaint after fixing it.

That would be interesting to see.
I have some crazing on one side on the skirting gel coat and will probably repaint after fixing it.
Crazing is usually caused by impact.
But after fixing the problem the bare GRP must be sprayed with a plastic sealer before any further coats of spray.
So plastic sealer then the primer undercoat then top coats .

Plastic and GRP both need the same treatment Glass Reinforced Plastic .

But after fixing the problem the bare GRP must be sprayed with a plastic sealer before any further coats of spray.

Acid etch 2 pack or epoxy will surfise, many a boat we did.boat b.jpg

Mine isn't from any impacts. I know what is needed to fix it, but once done, the colour will not match and painting needed.

I used to spray cars and motorhomes, not full time but I was properly trained. My ever-so-umble opinion having owned many many vehicles is that a light gold colour is best, such as you can get on new Ducatos. It never shows the dirt, once a year you polish it, stand back and say to yourself 'it doesn't look any different'. Also it hides in amongst trees pretty well, it doesn't shout "I'm a camper parked up for a bit".

It's taken me a long time but today I will finish fitting a larger, 100 litre fresh water tank under my 1999 Transit chassis. Where AutoSleeper could have fitted one in the first place instead of the inadequate drip tray they provided.
Wondering about insulating it . . . . . . if it's cold enough to freeze the water will I actually be using the motorhome? . . . . . . thinks . . . . . .
I'll write an article and send it off to MMM - if they publish it I will get paid, possibly as much as the job cost. I have a theory that if you are going to do a job you may as well take photos and write about it and get paid. I need to pay for a couple of ferries next year.

Last edited:
I used to spray cars and motorhomes, not full time but I was properly trained. My ever-so-umble opinion having owned many many vehicles is that a light gold colour is best, such as you can get on new Ducatos. It never shows the dirt, once a year you polish it, stand back and say to yourself 'it doesn't look any different'. Also it hides in amongst trees pretty well, it doesn't shout "I'm a camper parked up for a bit".
My first Company Car was an Austin Ambassador in metallic gold..... It was just as you say ... never showed the dirt (unless you went through some really filthy mud splashes).

Since the solar panels were fitted I have remained in Inveraray with Iain (Fergie1061) assisting him with assembling units to convert his Ducato van to a motorhome. Basically using my van as the template.
The last couple of jobs involved removing the fridge, hob & oven which will be installed in Iain's van.
Finally we tackled the plastic headlight covers which were in a very poor state.
Using the Autoglyn kit, the difference was astonishing - they came up great.
Well chuffed with the result.
I have no concerns now about the lights during its upcoming MOT.
No more jobs so it time to head back home - 3 weeks is long enough !!

The only time ours looked different was in france when it turned from gold to dirty yellow with the sand from the sahara , that filled every crack and crevice and we are still wiping the door pillars where it ran down after the rain

A plain gray is best, met paints are a barstewart to blow in, Henry ford had it right, any colour you want as long as its black.

A plain gray is best, met paints are a barstewart to blow in, Henry ford had it right, any colour you want as long as its black.
It may be that I've been wrong all my life Trev, but the cars I've found easiest to keep clean (with minimal effort) were the white cars. I usually found black cars a pig to keep clean. 🤔

Back