What did you do to your van today?

Well in Shane’s van not mine but…

Checking electrics and found nothing 12V had a fuse fitted. Traced all cables and removed a carrier bag of cabling that wasn’t doing anything. Got water pump working that didn’t before along with tv aerial booster and a volt meter. Everything connected up through an old fuse box that was in their but not used.
Found and fixed a couple of the 240V sockets that had wires out
Connected the two hab battery’s together that only had -ve connected 😂😂
Changed so solar passes through both battery and power takes out across both battery’s.
Lifted bonnet to check starter battery was in there to see how much cable will be needed for b2b and Shane spotted a pipe disconnected. Think it is the EGR but not 100%, (Citroen Relay). After Shane connected it up again the whistle had gone and he reports much more power lol

Everything now works as it should AND is much safer lol

That will hold it until we do a proper rewire

Checking electrics and found nothing 12V had a fuse fitted. Traced all cables and removed a carrier bag of cabling that wasn’t doing anything. Got water pump working that didn’t before along with tv aerial booster and a volt meter. Everything connected up through an old fuse box that was in their but not used.
Changed so solar passes through both battery and power takes out across both battery’s.
Lifted bonnet to check starter battery was in there to see how much cable will be needed for b2b and Shane spotted a pipe disconnected. Think it is the EGR but not 100%, (Citroen Relay). After Shane connected it up again the whistle had gone and he reports much more power lol

NICE 🖐️.
Shane must be well chuffed!

That sounds just like a new AutoSleeper . . . . .

Bought a new cassette hose. The old one doubled as a sprinkler
I worked in Nigeria putting up thier first mobile phone network. I was staying at a posh hotel that the British built when Nigeria was a colony, don't you know old chap. This was now 2001. The restaurant was in the basement and there was a Chinese restaurant on the roof, 13 floors up. As you may know, maintenance and safety are distinctly unimportant unnecessary things that they don't do so the basement restaurant caught fire . . . . . . (fat in the gas cookers filters). This was about 11a.m.
"Ah. We've got two fire engines in the garage, and a swimming pool we can suck the water from. Where are the keys?"
Fifteen minutes later someone found the keys to the garage.
Fifteen minutes later someone found the keys to the 1952 Green Goddess fire engine in the garage.
Brushing the spiders off the windscreen and seat the driver tried to start the engine. Nowt. Charging the battery was never thought of.
Quick, find ten strong men to push the fire engine down the road.
Fifteen men managed to pull the fire engine out of the garage, it took a few more men because the tyres were nearly flat, of course.
They pushed it down the road and got it started. Drove it back to the now fully ablaze hotel with smoke pouring out of 13 floors.
They worked out that they had to unroll the 'sucking' water hose and chuck it in the swimming pool, unroll the pumping hose and point it at the fire, and start the water pump.
The water duly exited the pump and started its journey along the hose. They pointed it at the highest floor the water would reach. That's no good, it wouldn't go to the 13th floor. So some brave chap was despatched with a rope up to the roof. He got there unscathed, chucked the rope down and they attached it to the hose to lift it up to the roof. The hose got to the roof and once again they turned on the water pump.
Remember that this hose is by now 50 years old and had never been used since Nigeria got independence.
The water sprinkled out of the sides of the hose through a thousand small holes making a lovely fountain pattern, but of course nothing came out of the top.
Eventually the fire burnt itself out but in the process, 320 rooms were either burnt to bits or made uninhabitable by smoke. All the electrical supply was kapput of course. That night I had to sleep in a very smoky room. The next day we (the immigrant workers) were all relocated to some lovely one bed / one lounge / kitchen apartments where we stayed for the rest of our contract.

What I did today to my motorhome: down on my Very Painful knees I was relocating the leisure battery and all its associated wiring. I added a MPPT regulator for the solar panel plus a second cable to charge the engine battery, and five fuses in a new fuse holder box. This gives me more storage space under a seat, and if a fuse goes I can access it where I could not before.
I have turned everything on: no fuses blew and everything works. Tomorrow I will neaten the wiring and fix the fuse box in a permanent position. For now, my knees have had enough.

Back