What did you do to your van today?

After passing it’s MOT on Friday I drove this morning noticed the whiff of diesel, having stopped off in Norfolk and seeing I was dripping diesel, I found a local garage, my suspicion is that it’s one of the return hoses that has split. Tried to start the van to take to said garage and it started, then stopped now won’t start at all. What I did to my van this morning… sighed loudly and swore a bit 😊

Went for the mot and got a clean sheet. Not bad for a 22 year old Moho.
Having said that anything that needs doing is done right away

After passing it’s MOT on Friday I drove this morning noticed the whiff of diesel, having stopped off in Norfolk and seeing I was dripping diesel, I found a local garage, my suspicion is that it’s one of the return hoses that has split. Tried to start the van to take to said garage and it started, then stopped now won’t start at all. What I did to my van this morning… sighed loudly and swore a bit 😊
If it is a Ducato/Boxer/Relay, I'd have a look at the Fuel Filter Housing and see if it is wet?

If it is a Ducato/Boxer/Relay, I'd have a look at the Fuel Filter Housing and see if it is wet?
Why yes it is 😊 split return hose as suspected. Replaced the split section and will be replacing the whole set (same age so the rest should really be done) when I pick up the kit and get to a friends workshop.
Lovely “Eau de diesel” through the van 😕

I thought Diesel is a favourite lady's perfume. It is my favourite, much nicer than petrol. That and EP90, and Castrol R. And two stroke.

Drained the water tank and heating system down, first frost on the workshop roof this morning.
Talking of which, my 25 yr old Pollensa has no way of completely draining other than removing all the pipes. The Carver Cascade has a drain hole, but inside the hab area the plumbing pipes to all taps and the pump have no means of draining. In order to unscrew the strainer from the Shurflo I have to lie in two different positions on the floor, point a screwdriver upwards, remove three screws holding the seat cushion to the bed frame, slide the bed frame open, then I can kneel very painfully on the floor to get at the five screws holding the plywood cover (which is carpeted with original AutoSleeper carpet) over the water heater and Shurflo. Remove the two sheets of plywood and place somewhere out of the way, with the seat cushion. Then I can unscrew the water strainer and remove a couple of jubilee clips around the water pipes. Water stuck the wrong side of a non return valve will not drain.

Then in the spring, I will refill the 100 l tank after I have forgotten that I dismantled the plumbing, seeing a waterfall exiting the habitation door because all the pipes are open. Still, they didn't freeze did they?

So . . . .is there an antifreeze (? salt ?) that I can put in the water system before the frosts? Or I wonder if there is a tiny 12v heater I can stick in there, with a frost stat?

Doesnt the carver have a plastic bung on the outside near the gas vent with a big screwdriver slot thet drains it down

Really chuffed last week full service and cambelt water pump and poly v belts all fitted £1100, started van this morning after checking the oil and water and there is a death rattle coming from the cam belt area, garage coming out on monday to look, so tyre fitment is on hold

Doesnt the carver have a plastic bung on the outside near the gas vent with a big screwdriver slot thet drains it down
Yes it does, that will drain the hot water from the Carver but looking at the pipes inside I don't think it will drain everything. Actually I seem to remember a widget at the NEC where they pump air into the water filler and the compressed air blows it out . . . . . . . but that won't work because the water tank is ventilated as it has to be otherwise you couldn't suck water from it . . . . . .

Really chuffed last week full service and cambelt water pump and poly v belts all fitted £1100, started van this morning after checking the oil and water and there is a death rattle coming from the cam belt area, garage coming out on monday to look, so tyre fitment is on hold
I hope they haven't left something loose and it has fallen off . . . . .. I had a mechanic do my brakes once, in Leicester. I drove to Liverpool, got on the ferry. Soon after I got to the Isle of Man the steering went all clonky. The mechanic had done up the wheel nuts finger tight and the wheel was all loose.
And on another occasion a franchised Peugeot dealer rebuilt a car engine of mine, under warranty. They did four cylinder head nuts up properly, went to lunch and left the others finger tight. After five miles the compression blew the head gasket sideways out of the block making the engine go chuff chuff chuff. I took it back and pointed out the bulging gasket. "Nothing wrong" they said. I found the loose head bolts, undid everything to find the cylinder head was warped. I took the blatantly obvious blown-to-bits head gasket back to the dealer and they said there's nothing they were going to do. I had to pay for the head to be skimmed, all new gaskets, and rebuild the top end. I sent the blown gasket to Peugeot HQ, and they wrote back and said they would look into it and let me know. That was 1976. I am still waiting to hear. They must be doing a very thorough investigation.

Fitted a HD anti theft device !View attachment 74258
Just out of interest, something I have always wanted to know: are fork lift trucks four wheel drive? The engine is obviosly at the back, and most traction would be to the heaviest end which logically would be the front. Which wheels are driven?

If I am going away on a world cruise I jack mine up and remove the wheels.

Getting back to reality I had better get back inside / underneath it and continue with the long list of jobs-that-need-doing-otherwise-no-one-would-want-to-nick-it.

Back