What did you do to your van today?

Air bags fitted to rear, up to Scotland at weekend for a week. See what different it makes

I've swapped all the side marker lights for leds, so if I do decide to be legal with an on road park I won't be pulling 5 amps out of the battery all night

Finally took “Murky” home for a road test. Last week I rebuilt a used gearbox as the original was getting noisy. The replacement is much sweeter and might give me another 0.1mpg! Would have made sense to have tested it earlier as we are away for a short jolly at the weekend. Unfortunately life got in the way.

Fitted a new radio from Amazon that has a screen for my reversing camera, Bluetooth for hands free etc. etc. Much improved sound over the standard Renault radio. Still trying to get the steering controls to work. Removed a lot of the "excess" wiring from being a minibus.

Replaced the split charge relay fuse to the fridge. It appears that when on EHU and for whatever reason, if I start the engine at the same time, then it blows the fuse that feeds the 12v - 240 fridge. As I'm looking to add a feed from the leisure battery for the fridge I'm going to fit a on/off/on switch at the weekend. This will allow me to isolate the alternator 12v supply while on EHU but also able to switch between alternator while on the move and solar while parked up. That's the plan anyway :unsure:

I got a new leisure battery fitted by the friendly folk at Knowepark. The previous one was not dead but beginning to show the effects of the hard life it has had. Not a pleasant job to fit as there is not a centimetre of spare space in its hiding place behind the vehicle battery.
Whilst there and browsing got two new chairs, much easier now for me to stand! Also got a replacement fly screen for the bathroom overhead vent.

Removed faulty new brake master cylinder, the brakes failed 20 miles from home while out shopping as a test run, new master cylinder which failed on one circuit (dual circuit brakes), I phoned the company I bought it from and they asked me to do a lot of tests inspite of me telling them I am a retired mechanic, no problem with that because they don't know the customers history, I did bite my lip when they asked if I had checked the fluid though, I now have to post it off on Monday, they will check it and either send me a new one or argue the point, either way I am off the road until it is sorted and Druridge Bay starts Thursday, if a new one arrives Wedsday/Thursday I am not sure I want to drive on a 400 mile return journey when the last new cylinder lasted less than 25 miles, I am suffering depression at the moment with negative Hospital results/things breaking down, and a few accidents and everything going wrong so not in a good place, I willl try to not let it get me down further

More Solar Stuff
Extending Waste Pipes and water supply pipes to pump to allow for installation of LPG tank at rear

Busy Busy

MOT major fail - wheel bearing and a minor "Repair as soon as possible" front windscreen. The same guy MOT'd it for past 3 years and only this time noticed the 2 small cracks coming from stone chips that have been there since i bought the van 4 years back. Bearing fitted and van retest passed. In insurance hands now waiting for replacement windscreen.

sorting all my toolboxes out so just have the one to carry!
fitted a Battery Protect system which also lets me turn off the 12V system off remotely from the Internet (can already do the 240V/Inverter side that way)
If it is a nice day tomorrow and I can be arsed (which probably means won't get done!) will fit the Remote Central Locking and Alarm System I bought at the start of the year!

Nice day today so investigated and finally fixed the LPG level indicator. Replaced the wire between the sensor and the led display.
Removed the nearside bedframe and repositioned one hinge which had loose pop rivets and oval holes due to wear. Refitted and good now. Went around all hinge screws on doors and drawers and tightened quite a few that were a bit loose.
Washed and polished outside after Irish tour.
Just sat down and missus says "when are you cutting the grass?"... hmmm....
Not today.
K ;)

Started to load bits and bobs ready for the off on Monday. Only a short break down to a lovely CL near Newport, Shropshire which has trout fishing a bonus. Gives us a few days rest from decorating at the daughter's house.
Misread that first sentence! Added an extra o to bobs:oops:.........was wondering how it fitted in with trout fishing...
Think I need to go to sleep! Have a great time away!

Helped a young lad in a diy converted hire camper sort out hab battery charging.
The converter put the live feed after the 'smart" switch on the main battery so as that was always well charged it turned off the alternator supply.
Easy fix by changing the pick up to alternator cable direct.

Two big jobs yesterday one I knew about and one I happened across.
Cleared a windscreen washer jet and tightened the battery clamp.
As I say major maintenance!

I noticed a small oil leak on the van last week, it was coming from one of the driveshaft seals, so took it to our local Fiat Professional garage on Tuesday and they replaced the seal.
Got the van back on Thursday, but the road to the garage was a bit muddy, lots of mud around the wheels and bottom of the van.
So, today, I shall be mainly washing the mud off.

Back