What did you do to your van today?

Sorted, with delight, after a little nudging from the Mrs to just try and do it!
I cut through some of the door insulation under the window to find a ‘wooden’ support there for the window - it turned out to be hardboard over some white foam insulation, but it was enough to screw a batten to for the lower blind fixings. Up top was nowhere, in fact it was curved metal of the door where it recessed for the window, so here the decision was to fix the blind to the panel instead. This meant gluing a thin plywood board across the aperture in the door panel so that the screws could be inserted into the board there. The blind ended up being fastened to the door at the top, and to the door panel at the bottom! The bottom needed to be inserted further into the door, than flush, because when closed, the frame would have bumped into the kitchen worktop surface - not enough space!
So it’s done! And the excess carpeting behind the blind has tucked in nicely closing up the space between the door and panel. With bikes on the door we shall have to be as gentle as possible when closing properly in future.
Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

32E2A730-D70F-4C0B-8211-62365154C4EC.jpeg

Not much left to do to mine, so decided to polish the stainless steel sink and hob, using solve autosol. Came up as good as new!
Bought a litre of Autoglym polish that was delivered yesterday. If I get really bored, I thought I might polish the chassis and the bottom of the fibre glass floor......:cool:

Reactions: 2cv
Not much left to do to mine, so decided to polish the stainless steel sink and hob, using solve autosol. Came up as good as new!
Bought a litre of Autoglym polish that was delivered yesterday. If I get really bored, I thought I might polish the chassis and the bottom of the fibre glass floor......:cool:
Did you get high resin polish I use it on all our veh and my truck ,great product

How have you been keeping steve ( all good ?
Fit as fiddle to be honest apart from a dry cough and a bloody itchy rash, both side effects from one of my heart drugs. Had my heart mri cancelled and now just have a telephone appointment with the Heart nurse fortnightly to check how I’m doing, obviously all related to minimising contact reference the virus.
They suggested another drug to try to hopefully stop the cough and rash but it would mean going for blood tests twice a week for 6 weeks to keep a check on my liver and kidney functions so we agreed I would live with the side effects for now until the virus is a distant memory.
Thought I would be on the extremely vulnerable list due to my heart but nurse said I’m just in the ‘vulnerable’ group so can go out observing social distancing etc so that’s good news. Mind you only go out to exercise the dog, son does all the shopping etc.
Speaking to neighbour today, he’s retired but works the odd weekend driving hazardous tankers. He mentioned how quiet the main roads are, how are you finding it ?
steve.

Fit as fiddle to be honest apart from a dry cough and a bloody itchy rash, both side effects from one of my heart drugs. Had my heart mri cancelled and now just have a telephone appointment with the Heart nurse fortnightly to check how I’m doing, obviously all related to minimising contact reference the virus.
They suggested another drug to try to hopefully stop the cough and rash but it would mean going for blood tests twice a week for 6 weeks to keep a check on my liver and kidney functions so we agreed I would live with the side effects for now until the virus is a distant memory.
Thought I would be on the extremely vulnerable list due to my heart but nurse said I’m just in the ‘vulnerable’ group so can go out observing social distancing etc so that’s good news. Mind you only go out to exercise the dog, son does all the shopping etc.
Speaking to neighbour today, he’s retired but works the odd weekend driving hazardous tankers. He mentioned how quiet the main roads are, how are you finding it ?
steve.
At the beginning I found them not that quiet but they are dead now which is how it should be ,certain garages are giving nhs and hgv drivers free hot drinks but no toilets to use but we have a official letter from the government and the rha stating it’s against the law to stop us using them
stay safe and well steve

Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner.

Sounds like I should use it on me. :oops:

Sterilised the fresh water and grey water tanks. Had a look in the garage, as will be bringing things back with us and need to reorganize it....found a litre bottle of olive oil had been tipped over and punctured! Cleaned the floor of the garage.....threw away a sheet which luckily..sort of....had soaked much of it up. The flooring looks well washed now;)

Sterilised the fresh water and grey water tanks. Had a look in the garage, as will be bringing things back with us and need to reorganize it....found a litre bottle of olive oil had been tipped over and punctured! Cleaned the floor of the garage.....threw away a sheet which luckily..sort of....had soaked much of it up. The flooring looks well washed now;)
Bet it will not rot now as it’s well oiled

Our moho is a 2001 Mercedes Hymer, it appears to be a fairly common problem for the "window straps" to crack on the lower corners (as in piccy 1 & 2) the reason being (I think the problem is the UV) as all my windows have suffered the same fate, we have a permanent rear bed so those 2 side windows do not get opened (the rear window does)

P1360011.JPGP1360012.JPG

after trying various cheapo methods to fix the existing straps, ie various glues and clear plastics straddling the cracks/gaps they all lasted for a while, then gave up, not really wishing to spend the exorbitant amount of money a northern company wants for the replacements, in the end I gave up and spent some money on replacement straps, removed the old parts (difficult, as they had to be broken to get them off).

Once I had all the old stuff off I cleaned the channel and slid the new strap in, no probs, the new black HARD plastic catches have to be banged in with a hammer (carefully)

newly installed strap,
P1360002.JPG

I'm still sure that it's the UV which ages and damages the corners, so not wishing to purchase another set of straps (already purchased 2, dining window and kitchen) after cleaning the old strap I utilised sections of it to fix to the outside of the channel to protect them from the UV, hopefully this will work, as in the piccies below,

P1360003.JPGP1360006.JPG

The glue I used to secure the strap to the channel was "Bondic", it's quite expensive but it dries very quickly, it's activated by UV, and comes with it's own UV "led torch" source

it can be purchased at various outlets, some cheaper than others.

While I'm on the window subject, does anyone know how to get the WINDOW off the frame to repair the cracks you will see in the piccies ?, I don't wish to take the frame out just the window off the frame.

Last edited:
  • Well Done
Reactions: 2cv
Back