What did you do to your van today?

Thought I'd better start the money pit up ( hasn't been moved for four weeks) started up ok tried to move it can only get one forward gear. Bugger more expense.

Thought I'd better start the money pit up ( hasn't been moved for four weeks) started up ok tried to move it can only get one forward gear. Bugger more expense.
Probably just the gear linkage Ian , get some rock oil spray and give it a good spray all over the linkage and keep moving the gear stick to free it

I washed and cleaned one side and the front. Wonder when Christine will do her half😜 it takes two full days to give it a proper clean wash and polish do windows wheels roof. how is it you don’t notice the wee chips grazes and scrapes but as soon as you’re close up cleaning it it looks like it’s been through a hedge backward.

Filled the van with water, turned the fridge on, made up the bed and put toilet fluid in the cassette. Decided to go away to the west ( Breton) coast for a few days, weather looks good with forecast for temps up to 30 degrees , bit of a break from planting trees and finishing off the decking.

I will be fitting new carpets this week sometime the fitted ones that came with the MH the backing is breaking down and create a lot of dust so they are stored in the garage to use as a template when I could find suitable carpet years ago when carpeting everything in a house we had carpet in our kitchen ( yes I know it was a thing back then ) but it wasn’t like normal carpet it was very short tufts and washable, anti bacterial and stain resistant but I couldn’t remember the name I remember it not being cheap to buy anyhow the name popped into my head the other day it was called FLOTEX hard to get hold of these days and so the search was on and I got some enough to do the van with so that’s my next job it will be great for dogs with mucky paws or sandy coats as it’s so easily swept or washed.
Hi Annie, might be a bit late now if you have new carpets but have you tried coating the back of your old carpets that are breaking down and crumbling with some liquid latex?
You can buy it on ebay by the litre which goes quite a long way even doing high wear areas twice. Its not too messy to do and has been very effective for us.
Maybe you can still salvage the old ones?
Good luck
K ;)

Hi Annie, might be a bit late now if you have new carpets but have you tried coating the back of your old carpets that are breaking down and crumbling with some liquid latex?
You can buy it on ebay by the litre which goes quite a long way even doing high wear areas twice. Its not too messy to do and has been very effective for us.
Maybe you can still salvage the old ones?
Good luck
K ;)
I was going to do that after seeing a post about it but the carpets themselves are a little gruby so I’ll clean them first see what they come up like and then latex the back but because they have a deep pile on them they are not good for the dogs so I will put them away for when I sell the vehicle thanks for the advice 👍

When you take them out of storage to latex them make sure they are completely flat before applying the latex. If there are any bumps or folds the mat will want to stay that way after latexing. Dont ask me how I know.
Good luck
K ;)

Probably just the gear linkage Ian , get some rock oil spray and give it a good spray all over the linkage and keep moving the gear stick to free it
Hi Jeff tried spraying and jiggling the gearstick no joy. The linkage is a bugger to get too left it to soak for now. Fingers crossed

We've been without it exactly a year.
We talked about the circumstances and looked at photos of it on the low loader.
Then I dreamt about some of the adventures and the many problems that we'd overcome, in 20 years of Motorhoming.
I woke up knackered.!!

We've been without it exactly a year.
We talked about the circumstances and looked at photos of it on the low loader.
Then I dreamt about some of the adventures and the many problems that we'd overcome, in 20 years of Motorhoming.
I woke up knackered.!!

Mostly happy memories I hope Paul.

Picked up our Autotrail Scout at the weekend , so we were busy today, fitted the TV, removed chrome storage racks from the cupboards (hate them) lined cupboards with non slip ( bought a roll from B & M but need a second one ) fitted new rail too the dining table, fitted second battery and lastly removed the corner steadies from the tow bar, hate them too, never been in a wind strong enough too need them either !
Wife, bless her socks deep cleaned all the cupboards as dealer cleaner never did them properly (her words, not mine lol)
Tomorrow fitting small drop down extra table at kitchen and fitting a 240v socket at the front so we can use a small heater in the winter ! then rub down surface rust on the tow bar and repaint, wife putting in clothes, towels ect. ready for first trip away when this lockdown is over, if ever !!

Finally got round to removing the roof light in the shower area for cleaning. As stated by others it was very easy with this particular make.
So thanks to snapster for the original post and photo (1592) and 2cv for the video link (post 1600).
Four years of built up grime and dust which had been annoying me removed.
Thanks.

Davy

Yesterday. Finished the base for the freezer, and checked that it was working on 12volt. Van ambient temperature was 37c, freezer got to-7 within 20 minutes. Test had to finish there, cos I was called in for dinner. Upsetting Nic is not a good idea. Batteries stood up well. Although I was still getting full solar even at 1800. Pretty sure it’s going to work out.🤞

Changed all the 5w secondary marker lights for LEDs - that's more than 50w saved if I ever have to park legally on an unlit road.
Also makes ever having to change them again unlikely 😀

Reactions: 2cv
Changed all the 5w secondary marker lights for LEDs - that's more than 50w saved if I ever have to park legally on an unlit road.
Also makes ever having to change them again unlikely 😀
That reminds me: I have a set of LED marker lights waiting to be fitted. They've been in the drawer for a couple of years. No excuse not to fit them. Only one of the ones on the van actually lights up, so the wiring may need a little TLC as well.

If it's not the bulb itself it'll probably be corrosion on the connector terminals.
The converters are good at running cable down to the fittings without enough wire to form a drip off point so the water just runs to the inside of the fitting!
At least with LED the current is minimal so pretty well any connection is good enough.
I waterproofed the 'birds mouth' sleeves provided with some Denso tape that I've kept 40 years just for this job 😀

Back