What did you do to your van today?

Totally humiliated ours today. Usually manage about 100 nights per year. This year so far about 15 nights.

Today we moved our daughter up to her new apartment near university for the start of her 3 year PhD. She had been home over the summer. It took 2 cars 1 large, 1 small and the whole floor of a 7 metre A class Hymer stacked with boxes of belongings and with a full length mirror, a tv and mountains of clothes on top of the double bed to get her relocated.

What a low point in its life to be treated as a beast of burden!

Davy

Van MOT 2 weeks got advisory on all 4 break discs badly scored put into the garage have got all four corners done discs and pads when getting the job carried out two wheel bearings had collapsed one in front and one in the back I suppose I am lucky as this is the first major work done on the van since buying in 2013 apart from tyres still awaiting the bill

Fixed 3 way selector knob on fridge-freezer which sheared yesterday when moving from AC to DC.
I contemplated a temporary fix of swapping temperature knob (which we don't move) while waiting for back order from Leisure Direct at a not desperately unreasonable £23 delivered in a couple of weeks.
However the knobs are different lengths and the indicator orientation is different so I decided on a repair.
The original sheared at a design fault where the shaft is turned down to allow fitting of a spring band - this halves the material available to carry load.
I found the the whole shaft has a D slot for the selector switch rod so all I had to do was cut the shaft and insert a spacer to return to original length.
For some reason the shaft is gently taper so a metal tube wouldn't be much good - after a bit of head scratching I settled on 15mm water pipe which was about right id at shft middle.
A bit of settling and realignment later it's all sorted.

20200904_173355.jpg20200904_161003.jpg20200904_164130.jpg

Regular oil and filter changes keep engines going "forever" especially reasonably modern ones which are made to better tolerances in the first place to meet longterm emissions control.
I had to replace the head gasket on a Passat at 180k miles and it was immaculate inside a just wiped the soot off the head and that was it "decoked" The engine still made its rated bhp at 200k and was going strong when I finally got ride of it at 300k.
Mear child,soda 314 thu and as clean as a whistle,head gasket and t/chain at 290 thu,still could touch 50mpg on long flat runs.skoda a.jpgskoda a.jpgsko eng a.jpghead a.jpghead b.jpghead c.jpg

Fitted a 2KW-5KW 12V Air diesel Heater with LCD and Remote control yesterday. Had the motorhome for 2 months and have also installed 200w solar panels. 3000w-6000w peak pure sine-wave inverter. 3 x 100ah Duracell Gel Batteries, rear and reversing cameras. Motor Scooter Rack for my 125cc scooter. additional 230v and 12v sockets and USB points. Rear LED reversing floods. Cooling fans for the Fridge and the newly fitted gas oven/grill. Just got back from 3 weeks in France and all the extras made life so comfortable while staying off grid (bar for 3 nights on aires with EHU). Air diesel Heater fitted ready for winter motorhoming.

Bought a spare toilet cassette and ordered a sealed box to store it in. Van is coming up to two years old and used all the time so I decided to give it a thorough cleaning inside, it’s amazing how much sand I hoovered out from all the nooks and crannies, even though we clean it out after every trip.

Bought a spare toilet cassette and ordered a sealed box to store it in. Van is coming up to two years old and used all the time so I decided to give it a thorough cleaning inside, it’s amazing how much sand I hoovered out from all the nooks and crannies, even though we clean it out after every trip.
Ia that a specific box for the cassette? or just one that it fits into? (be interested if you have a link? :) )

After a saga with a lost brake shoe! All the brakes have now been serviced. Spotted a hand brake cable coming to the end of it's life so ordered a new one from Mercedes. Next day service for a 30 year old Merc :) Did a road test yesterday taking it home. After a brick laying session this morning, this afternoon I crawled under Murky to adjust the rear brake shoes. Phew. I'll take it home again this evening to bed the brakes in some more before it's impending MOT.

Back