What did you do to your van today?

Ordered an EHU Splitter yesterday [twice in France I had to speak nicely to French M/Homers to get them to share their connection by plugging into their splitter, 'je suis un pauvre Anglais ...']. Good news is that the order has been despatched today; bad news is that it's via Royal Mail and won't arrive until Monday 5 September. Must be hitch hiking :rolleyes:

Also ordered a Vango portable induction hob, which should arrive on 1 Sep. Variable settings from 300w upwards, so should be able to keep the power well within the [to be installed by David of Wildebus] inverter

That should be the last of the 'you know what we could have used on this trip?' items to get us kitted out with what we need, rather than being seduced by the bling. And it uses just about all of our payload, except for about 45kg, though that is based on full gas, diesel and water tanks, so we should have a sensible margin for error or emergencies. Would that the Bank balance had the same ... ;)

Steve

Ice maker you need an ice maker. One of my unusual buys but great for drinks and keeping the cool box topped up.
I'm married to one, Wully ... Very low energy model, but still higher than my consumption :) I suppose 'cool box' could be a useful euphemism for when in polite company [I'm rarely in polite company, so this is pure guesswork] ... 'I say darling, is your box cool yet?' 'Ding dong' Leslie Philips voiceover in the background ...

Be honest, until we met, you thought innuendo was an Italian suppository, and we all know how useful they are ... Exits stage left ;)

Steve

After I discovered the little windows on the side of the overcab bed opened (took around a year to realise that), I then discovered opening was not a problem, but closing again was another matter :(
The little extending rod and sleeve jobby would stick when in the fully extended position and refuse to go in easily and eventually not at all. The last time it locked open I actually had to unscrew the rod from the frame so I could close the window, and so it stayed undone and closed for the last few months. Offending rod below ...
1661964286314.png

Removing the window and dismantling the assembly revealed a simple ballbearing and spring affair. Cleaning the ball bearing of the slight detrius that had stuck on it over the last decade or so, then cleaning the rod and reassembling it made it go in and out nice and smoothly. Repeated on the other window that was also sticking badly and jobs a good un :)
But if you take this apart to clean, make sure you are doing it somewhere you don't drop the tiny ballbearing!

So the moral of the story is (one for Marchie ....) giving the balls a good clean makes for a much better action of the rod allowing it to slide in and out without getting stuck.

After I discovered the little windows on the side of the overcab bed opened (took around a year to realise that), I then discovered opening was not a problem, but closing again was another matter :(
The little extending rod and sleeve jobby would stick when in the fully extended position and refuse to go in easily and eventually not at all. The last time it locked open I actually had to unscrew the rod from the frame so I could close the window, and so it stayed undone and closed for the last few months. Offending rod below ...
View attachment 64291

Removing the window and dismantling the assembly revealed a simple ballbearing and spring affair. Cleaning the ball bearing of the slight detrius that had stuck on it over the last decade or so, then cleaning the rod and reassembling it made it go in and out nice and smoothly. Repeated on the other window that was also sticking badly and jobs a good un :)
But if you take this apart to clean, make sure you are doing it somewhere you don't drop the tiny ballbearing!

So the moral of the story is (one for Marchie ....) giving the balls a good clean makes for a much better action of the rod allowing it to slide in and out without getting stuck.
It's why God invented Vaseline ... :) . And many of us are reaching the age where a: our balls lose their bearings; and b: it makes little difference, especially as the nights become colder ... ;)

Steve

Last few inches of my exhaust has been missing (corrosion worm) since I have had the van. only effect noticable is old battery box is getting a bit sooty as the pipe ends directly below it and on Autotrails the underfloor lockers are open behind the skirting.
Decided today to fix it by sliding a section over the end of the old pipe and brought outside where it should originally end up (can't replace the entire pipe without replacing the entire exhaust silencer and multiple pipes at a few hundred pounds and it is still ok so unnecessary).

Used a section of flexible exhaust pipe that was left over from when I did the VW LT Exhaust system plus a U clamp, so fix cost under a tenner and it looks about the same as OEM except for the serrated finish.
1662150282940.png

Last few inches of my exhaust has been missing (corrosion worm) since I have had the van. only effect noticable is old battery box is getting a bit sooty as the pipe ends directly below it and on Autotrails the underfloor lockers are open behind the skirting.
Decided today to fix it by sliding a section over the end of the old pipe and brought outside where it should originally end up (can't replace the entire pipe without replacing the entire exhaust silencer and multiple pipes at a few hundred pounds and it is still ok so unnecessary).

Used a section of flexible exhaust pipe that was left over from when I did the VW LT Exhaust system plus a U clamp, so fix cost under a tenner and it looks about the same as OEM except for the serrated finish.
View attachment 64306
What dia is the flex tube ?

I looked for end finishers for the LT a few years ago but couldn't find one of the right diameter. This time, a tip wouldn't suffice - the section was around 14" long.

I looked for end finishers for the LT a few years ago but couldn't find one of the right diameter. This time, a tip wouldn't suffice - the section was around 14" long.
14 inches is not a tip, David, that's a double allowance ... A candidate for circumcision if ever I saw one ... :)

Steve

Amongst all the faffing about with the collection of the new bikes yesterday, I had an email confirming 14th September for the Fridge to have the flue cleaned, and the burner either cleaned or replaced. I wonder whether the 3 to 5 seconds delay before the Fridge fires up on gas is due to soot and muck, rather than air in the system [trapped wind?]. We shall soon find out!

Meanwhile, my new plastic external cupboard and door catches that were promised in 7 to 10 days have yet to arrive. That's a chaser job for Monday morning, alongside Amazon's failure to deliver the Vango Induction Hob, ordered 28th August for delivery on 1st September. September's theme will be 'Futile Chasing of Supplies and Suppliers' ... I blame the Felixstowe Docks Strike, even though the Door Catches areonly coming from Uttoxeter [the Supplier had them in stock in late May but only deals with 'the Trade' ...]

And breathe ... :)

Steve

Back