What did you do to your van today?

Typical... :rolleyes: flushing out fresh water tank yesterday I noticed some damp on the floor next to the shower cubicle. Further investigation located a drip from under the mixer tap on the pop up basin. Looks like the cartridge is leaking ☹️
Its a comet florenz tap and I have found a new cartridge on line but it looks like the cartridge might need to come out from below, not lifted out with the tap in situ.
Has anyone changed the cartridge on one of these?
We are off tomorrow for a couple of weeks so I will be switching the water pump off at the main panel when not using the taps as it obviously only leaks under pressure.
Cartridge
K :(

Last edited:
I am certainly no expert with taps, but I don't see how you would access the cartridge from below? I would bet there is a little screw under the blue/red sticker on the top of the tap to undo.

PS. as an aside, when I changed the same type of cartridge on my tap (different tap, same cartridge), I found the two little locating lugs were ever so slightly too large and stopped it seating down fully and it leaked. very minor sanding to slim them down sorted that. I don't know if it is a regular occurance, but just an observation if the cartridge doesn't seem to be setting into position quite right.

Thats my hope, the cartridge is 25mm but I am struggling to see how it would be screwed down from above due to the wrap-over cover and the small access hole under the lever.
I will try lifting the colour label to look for that elusive screw.
Thanks
K ;)

Thanks but that is a different tap. I hope I will be able to replace mine from above like that but look at around 3.30mins in to see him removing the cartridge... thats the bit I fear may be different? Hopefully not.
Thanks anyway 👍
K ;)

There are loads of "how to's" on youtube on cartridge replacements, but not a single one showing a tap with a fold-down side spout. That in itself is a bit worrying! (maybe they can't be fixed!)
I wonder if the side spout is fixed to the top cover so when you pull the top off that comes with it? Can't see it could be any other way.

PS. remember to put the plug in the sink before starting in case any tiny screws try to escape down the plughole!

This video is of no help whatsoever when it comes to actually how to remove, but the way he spins the tap around to film from every angle might help work out the fittings?

I'll buy the cartridge above, assume I can do it from above as in the other videos and do it when I get back and take some how-to photos as I go.
Thanks for your input 👍
K ;)

I'll buy the cartridge above, assume I can do it from above as in the other videos and do it when I get back and take some how-to photos as I go.
Thanks for your input 👍
K ;)
I think lots of people with that tap will appreciate that!! Another little suggestion if I may .... Don't buy the replacement cartridge until you have taken it apart!
I had a look on the VW Forum I used to use a lot, where these folding taps are very common, and not one person has replaced the cartridge, but lots seem to have replaced the whole tap. Just thinking you might never get to fit the replacement cartridge as could end up needing a new tap anyway?

I'll buy the cartridge above, assume I can do it from above as in the other videos and do it when I get back and take some how-to photos as I goer.
Thanks for your input 👍
K ;)
Just taken the little inserts out of my tap flat blade screwdriver to take the tap off only looking at it for you then lift the next peace off you should find a big nut hope this helps

Summer wheels and tyres fitted, I'm too black with crawling around on the floor to go into the cab and finish off the wiring that can wait until tomorrow. Geezo 12.30 time for a pint, well it is Saturday after all. 20230401_093748.jpg

Last edited:
Filled up with lpg Morrisons coventry 79.9.p ltr filled up with fuel. £157.9 tesco.
Tyre pressure checked filled water and barrel ready for Thursday. First stop will be crich 1940 week end then north to Scotland and Highlands. Mite pop to Orkney this time .

Under the van this afternoon greasing the alco nips up ..think it's first time in 5 years lazy last owners.

Might be that the last Owners didn't know that greasing was required ['I just drive it'], or that they relied on/assumed that the garage had done it as part of the service routine. As second owners, you can only guess at the reason, and cope with the consequences!

Our M/Home was almost 5 years old when we bought Brunhilde in Aprol 2021, with 8767 miles on the clock. The Service History was rather patchy, so we spent a small fortune having jobs done that fell under the 'x miles OR y years' criterion to get a reference point [and I speak as the son of a mechanic who told me that I would never make a mechanic as long as I had a hole up my bum]. I took that to mean that I had limited technical potential, which I have subsequently confirmed :rolleyes:

Steve

Won't have much fun without greasy nipples :(

I remembered a couple of years ago I had some corrosion in the top marker lights due to a cracked lens. So decided to remove the lens to check size for replacements.
Looks like none available of the right size, which is a shame as this is what the lens looks like ....

Marker Lamp
by David, on Flickr

Gave it a clean. Removed glue from a previous repair (before my time) and attempted a repair using Poly Cement (the stuff you use when making Airfix models).
Actually seems pretty reasonable.

Marker Lamp
by David, on Flickr
Refitted and carefully screwed in bolts enough to secure but not enough to break it again :D

Back