What did you do to your van today?

Today I am going to fit a suppressor to my Reversing Cam and a dirt skirt to the rear bumper so that I can keep the road crud off the lens and the back of the Moho.

Insulated the hot air pipe that runs from the Truma boiler under the chassis to the front outlets. It runs in another pipe but it is not insulated and the outer pipe actually gets warm so wasting heat to the atmosphere.

Switched fridge on and stocked it up ready for trip up the west coast of Scotland Sat/Sun. 8 nights away then return for first hospital appointment for my left knee replacement. If it goes as well as the right knee I had replaced last September I’ll be well please.

Van in with converter but made a composting toilet unit & painted it ...just need to get hinges for the lid and magnetic closers for the side access panel.

Herpes finally delivered the rear bumper reinforcing bar I bought from Lindsay. It was in great condition and went straight on no problems.

Took less than an hour.

K ;)

Made a flying lead for my new Victron inverter and tried it out on the Sky box, iec plug on one end, 3 pin socket on tother. Worked a treat. Could have paid another £20.00 and bought the inverter with a 3 pin socket but for 30 mins work saved £20.00, I had a socket and cables so no cost.
Have to say Victron kit may be expensive but like most things you get what you pay for and a 5 year warranty is a bonus.

Made a small nylon Spring retainer for a seitz window fly screen. It was missing as was most of the screws keeping the inner frame on the wall. Made from a piece of nylon board I picked up on a beach some years ago.

One of those jobs I kept putting off but was not that difficult.

Flyscreen working fine now.

K ;)

When we got the van there were several faults that I was not aware of, it was a sunny day when we viewed it, since owning it for three years the faults have become apparent, so fix em time. There were several minor faults that you sus out as you travel about, some you can fix while your away, some take longer and require more stuff.
When we got the moho, after a more detailed inspection I found a 1 1/2 bathroom outlet in the roof above the wardrobe, and holes down the inner side of the wardrobe, at some time it had obviously had a pole type aerial (removed ?) and a replacement aerial (vision plus 335) over the habitation door ?? (why not use the hole where the original aerial had been ??) the wiring went through the cupboards (broken and twisted together) to the TV. It was during this winter that I found water leaking through the wardrobe roof (old aerial hole). I had to wait for the weather to change for the better before I could attempt any repair, what I found was a circle of "1mm FORMICA" glued to the roof (for NO obvious reason, unless you can think of one ???) after removing and cleaning the area I inserted a plastic tube through the roof, all sealed with silicone, all this sat on an aluminium plate about 6ft x 4ft, which was also NOT sealed, therefor even with the hole sealed water was still getting in under the aluminium sheet, I brought some sealant "Sealfix" www.hssuk.co.uk a sort of paint with shredded fibreglass in it, mix it well and paint it on, which I did ALL around the aluminium sheet, hopefully now fixed, 2nd coat today (just to make sure), you'll get a better idea from the pictures, sorry to be so long winded. The clear plastic sheet was a temporary measure while winter was here, my intention is over the next few days, once every thing has dried out, is to install the NEW aerial I brought, Vision Plus 350 over the hole in roof, I'll keep you all postedP1330886.JPGP1330887.JPGP1330888.JPGP1330889.JPGP1330890.JPGP1330891.JPGP1330885.JPG

Last edited:
Our Truma boiler showed a fault at the weekend so when we got home it was under the bed to see what was wrong. Thank goodness Hubs is an electrician as he discovered the fault only showed on EHU. 20 minutes later and fault was located - 10A fuse was blown on the boiler. Happy days! I of course was employed as electricians mate. ?

Unlocked the garage door, opened it and deposited a box of 24 bottles of Leffe inside. Then closed and locked the door again.
Oh, and tightened the screw holding the bathroom door handle on because it was a bit loose.

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
I replaced the 240 volt element for the refrigerator , tight for room didn't have to remove the refrigerator ,the job was done by taking the vents off outside ,but connected to the original wiring.

Our Truma boiler showed a fault at the weekend so when we got home it was under the bed to see what was wrong. Thank goodness Hubs is an electrician as he discovered the fault only showed on EHU. 20 minutes later and fault was located - 10A fuse was blown on the boiler. Happy days! I of course was employed as electricians mate. ?

Also being a retired electrician I would add, it might be a good idea to have a look with the meter to see what blew the fuse ?

I have been putting it off since I bought the van in November but today decided that the towbar just HAD to come off. I will never tow with the van and have no intention of adding a bike rack, so... Off it came!
Was not a bad job and the bolts and nuts all unscrewed easily. I have left the 7 pin connector still wired up and tucked away behind the bumper for now. I might keep the towbar as it might be of interest to a prospective buyer at some point in the future? But I might offer it for sale on the bay...
The whole lot came to around 32kg which is a useful addition to my available payload.

So, what did YOU do to your van today?

K ;)
I taxed our van, gave it a good clean and packed it up ready to go to York tomorrow

Reactions: 2cv
Back